Think Different- Cadets style

The way I see it, it's not that people who don't march can't have an opinion, it's just that it won't mean as much as someone who has marched. So many things change about your perspective about drum corps once you march.

I guess it would be like being a parent (not that I would know). Having children and being around children are two different things.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While marching experience counts and gives a very strong background when formulating an opinion, do not discount the audience experience as well when somebody gives their opinion here. How many of us saw drum corps before we marched and formed opinions based on what we saw, heard, and felt?

Of course, neither area of experience means you're right, either. :P

The way I see it, it's not that people who don't march can't have an opinion, it's just that it won't mean as much as someone who has marched. So many things change about your perspective about drum corps once you march.

I guess it would be like being a parent (not that I would know). Having children and being around children are two different things.

very good analogy to explain it :blink:

Vince Lombardi, Bill Parcells, and Jerry Jones never played in the NFL...so I guess they don't know anything about it

Vince Lombardi, Bill Parcells, and Jerry Jones never played in the NFL...so I guess they don't know anything about it

ok so if someone on here starts posting and hasnt marched BUT has won a DCI championship teaching a corps than they can be the exception to the 'rule' in this thread. BUT!!! i bet if you asked Parcells about the NFL experience he would admit that he doesnt know how the players feel because he's never been there. The same way Hopkins tells the Cadets he doesnt always know exactly what they're going through because he's never been there (in their position as a Cadet). Doesnt take away from their abilities to 'coach' and teach, it just means they both admit their opinions may too fall a little short because of their non-experience. But I dont think the guy we're talking about in this thread has exactly any rings to support his case :blink:

Edited by thePerfectbuzz

True, but they understood the culture of professional football and worked in that culure in the NFL.

A good example would be that Kevin Smith never marched a single day in a division I DCI corps, but I certainly trust him to be qualified when making decision or knowing what he is talking about when it pertains to Carolina Crown. The same with Hop. Never a Cadet, but he bleeds Maroon. (he is actually, I have heard, the only non-Cadet allowed to sing "Oh Holy Name)

Hrothgar speaks only from his own experinces. He doesn't have to march..He just needs to understand the culture of the activity he is over-analizing. Maybe he should try a week on the road as a cook truck volunteer or something..

True, but they understood the culture of professional football and worked in that culure in the NFL.

A good example would be that Kevin Smith never marched a single day in a division I DCI corps, but I certainly trust him to be qualified when making decision or knowing what he is talking about when it pertains to Carolina Crown. The same with Hop. Never a Cadet, but he bleeds Maroon. (he is actually, I have heard, the only non-Cadet allowed to sing "Oh Holy Name)

Hrothgar speaks only from his own experinces. He doesn't have to march..He just needs to understand the culture of the activity he is over-analizing. Maybe he should try a week on the road as a cook truck volunteer or something..

Hop doesn't sing O' Holy Name

Hop doesn't sing O' Holy Name

Do any Cadets non-members sing the corps song before shows?