Fav Pat Metheny Show  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who did it?

• Crossmen 1991
    • Kiwanis Kavaliers 1994
    • Boston Crusaders 1995
    • Kiwanis Kavaliers 1995
    • Crossmen 1998

For those of you who don't know Gary Cuzzocrea, let me just tell you that (to me) HE is one of the first things I think about when I think Crossmen. Soooooo, for him (as someone who marched in 91 Crossmen) to tell you that the best Metheny show ever belongs to the Crossmen from 1998, folks... ya gotta believe him. :blink:

The work that Thom, Mike Klesch and Jim (and Colin McNutt don't forget) put into that show... I mean, Hannum said it himself... he'd been waiting more than 10 years to put that show on the field. First Circle was probably some of Hannum's finest writing (115 to the end, whoa). Jim Ancona was masterful as always...and Colin was responsible for most if not all of the opener (Third Wind) except for the drum feature. I mean this show was quality.

So, for us as members that year...it was all we could do to keep up with the show...and we did have many injuries in the snareline (but we still held our own against the rest). For me, obviously, the answer to this question is 1998 - listen to the CD. 1991 may have been a bit more raw and exciting... but as a whole package...1998 is it for me.

Chris Perna

Crossmen Snareline 97-98

Fan of Gonzo since 1997

Chris, wan't there a show where we went out that night with only 3 or 4 snare drummers? You guys were like the drummer(s) from spinal tap that summer. I can still remember seeing Rigger (don't recall his first name) doing sectionals sitting on a plastic milk crate or something with his drum on the ground and his knee on ice.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love 1991 Crossmen. Absolutely amazing...

No doubt about it.

But 1998 Crossmen is actually my favorite drum corps show of all time.

Definitely the best Metheny show. I can't help but watch it all the time and listen to the sick mello runs and eerie mello lines. The sweet pit, amazing guard...

I actually got to chat with Doug Ballard (marched mello that year) one time about the show. I told him my favorite part was at the end of the show after the drum break... The mellos are marching slowly across the middle of the field in a triangle with an eerie slow line and tension is building as everyone else is marching fast and the pit is goin after it... Then all of a sudden... BAM!!! Everyone comes in with a huge hit and the mellos have this sweet run.

Doug said he almost couldn't hear himself at finals because the crowd was already on their feet screamin' so loud!

Then this high sop note and energy builds and then...oh man...

Awesome show.

:-)

Did Doug sing that part for you? ^0^ It's a running joke among those of us that marched with Doug because every year he marched he can be seen singing his favorite part of the show on the tour video.

My biased opinion is '91, of course.. The video doesn't nearly do justice to how much the drumline moved during that show (while playing that incredibly fun book) - but I know..

:lol:

I'm still trying to find a high camera version of that show..

you biased?

:P

Pretty hard to believe, isn't it.. :lol: B)

Did Doug sing that part for you? ^0^ It's a running joke among those of us that marched with Doug because every year he marched he can be seen singing his favorite part of the show on the tour video.

haha, no Taylor! Doug didn't sing it for me. But that would've been sweet, I guess....

or not. :lol:

Totally miss you. Wish we could go mountain climbing together! Plans to do pre-camp climbing were kind of messed up... :lol: But we shall get together, nevertheless! (You can always drop by NC or Texas! :P )

Wow, so out of 105 votes, Crossmen have 98 of them.

Does this make them the official Metheny Corps or just the most liked?

:lol: - gotta love it! Doug, we love you, wherever you are!

I go with 1998...knowing the background to the show design, many of the members, and the fact that the corps let me borrow a hose to use as a shower quarterfinals day makes it my favorite.

Heat of the Day was really, really, really hard. But it was really, really cool.

Not to come off like an east coast homer, but when I think Metheny, I think Crossmen.

Edited by drewbugler

I'd like to hear somebody try to play "Forward March."

Download it if you've never heard it. It's a kick.

God.....'98 Crossmen was like a 12 minute long groove section. Maybe a little pants-changing break in the middle. Percussion writing was unbelievable; flowed better than possibly any other show I've ever heard.

Looooove the mello book, and the execution.