2006 Is Coming To A Close

That can be said for everyone, especially you.

I honestly didn't mean it as a criticism. It's like, every time you post about the Cavies, I can predict what you're going to say, and usually it's rational and not too unreasonable. You're one of the least ridiculous Cavies' homers on here, which I like.

And yes, I know that I'm very predictable as well. I guess I like consistency.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh oh.. misinterpretations...ideas running amuck... drama!

--- 2007 The Real World: DCP.

I honestly didn't mean it as a criticism. It's like, every time you post about the Cavies, I can predict what you're going to say, and usually it's rational and not too unreasonable. You're one of the least ridiculous Cavies' homers on here, which I like.

And yes, I know that I'm very predictable as well. I guess I like consistency.

Haha, well thanks, I suppose.

I think we're all a little too predictable sometimes.

Okay, this is an attack right there. You're stating that this show unsuccessfully tried to push the envelope when you haven't seen 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 repretoires. Back in the 1980s, people at times stated that What Garfield was doing wasn't drum corps. What they did brought the activity into a whole new realm. Same thing's happening in 2006. Maybe it's a different reaction, but eitherway they're making change and attention.

I did not enjoy 2006 Cadets, but maybe you should try to take a look at that show. I'm sure you know I'm a fan of analyzing the design of shows past my personal enjoyment for it.

If I asked you what the 2006 Cadets did to push the envelope, and the first few words that you state are "singing, amplification, narration". I'll say: Wrong Drum Corps in 2004 pioneered these things even before The Cadets did. So Cadets really didn't do anything new??? So were they even trying to push the envelope or rehash things that have already been done?

So, how did they push the envelope? I'll give you a hint. Watch the high cam, and tell me how many areas of focus can you devote your attention to simultaneously? Find me a show pre 2006 that utilized multiple and simultaneous staging points to a degree that 2006 Cadets did, and you'll notice what I'm talking about.

That is pushing the envelope. Whether you liked that show or not, you are setting yourself up for failure if you assumed that 2006 Cadets tried to push the envelope with a singer and narration. That's just the tip of a massive iceberg my friend, look beneath the surface which annoyed so many people. The design of that show is very unique. Not my favorite, but it is very very very unique. Personally, I wouldn't be suprised if another corps messed around with that idea of multiple and simultaenous staging without singing or narration.

this post amazes me, you are getting good at this whole DCP thing...i think pandora escaped his box again!! you are absolutely correct in their utilization of multi focused staging....that was a very innovative approach to their show attempt, but that may have been their failure this year...and believe it or not, not the narration and singing. they tried having a show that had multi focuses and that was very gutsy...maybe in time a corps can utilize that approach and yield it to be more productive, then we can really talk about their 2006 show and this post :laugh:

2006 Cadets pushed the envelope.

Whether it was successful or not wasn't in my post because of logical reason. That reason is... none of us have seen 07+ shows!

2006 Cadets pushed the envelope.

Whether it was successful or not wasn't in my post because of logical reason. That reason is... none of us have seen 07+ shows!

I have a feeling that none of them are going to bear much resemblance to Cadets 06.

Even The Cadets have made it clear that they're straying away from what they did . . .

but it all remains to be seen.

I have a feeling that none of them are going to bear much resemblance to Cadets 06.

Even The Cadets have made it clear that they're straying away from what they did . . .

but it all remains to be seen.

Then that is a good assertion of the future.

In my opinion, multiple and simulatenous staging points isn't that absurd of a concept. It's new, yet very well done.

Plus, the one thing that I enjoyed from that show was the remix of the Zone ending.

Edited by BaritoneBamBam

Okay, this is an attack right there. You're stating that this show unsuccessfully tried to push the envelope when you haven't seen 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 repretoires. Back in the 1980s, people at times stated that What Garfield was doing wasn't drum corps. What they did brought the activity into a whole new realm. Same thing's happening in 2006. Maybe it's a different reaction, but eitherway they're making change and attention.

I did not enjoy 2006 Cadets, but maybe you should try to take a look at that show. I'm sure you know I'm a fan of analyzing the design of shows past my personal enjoyment for it.

If I asked you what the 2006 Cadets did to push the envelope, and the first few words that you state are "singing, amplification, narration". I'll say: Wrong Drum Corps in 2004 pioneered these things even before The Cadets did. So Cadets really didn't do anything new??? So were they even trying to push the envelope or rehash things that have already been done?

So, how did they push the envelope? I'll give you a hint. Watch the high cam, and tell me how many areas of focus can you devote your attention to simultaneously? Find me a show pre 2006 that utilized multiple and simultaneous staging points to a degree that 2006 Cadets did, and you'll notice what I'm talking about.

That is pushing the envelope. Whether you liked that show or not, you are setting yourself up for failure if you assumed that 2006 Cadets tried to push the envelope with a singer and narration. That's just the tip of a massive iceberg my friend, look beneath the surface which annoyed so many people. The design of that show is very unique. Not my favorite, but it is very very very unique. Personally, I wouldn't be suprised if another corps messed around with that idea of multiple and simultaenous staging without singing or narration.

I would disagree with saying the the Cadets weren't trying to push the envelope with the"singing, amplification, narration". I think it is clear that they were pushing the envelope with it, in the same manner that the multiple and simultaneous staging points did.

Find a drum corps show that utilized narration to that degree to have characters in the show with dialogue, as well as singing through that duration with horns and singing blending for "the big hits" of a song. It's been done before, but this is an attempt to push the idea further. I believe it is clearly trying to be state of the art.

However, judges top picks include those who they believe push the envelope, and in this they were received with less success than others.

I would disagree with saying the the Cadets weren't trying to push the envelope with the"singing, amplification, narration". I think it is clear that they were pushing the envelope with it, in the same manner that the multiple and simultaneous staging points did.

Find a drum corps show that utilized narration to that degree to have characters in the show with dialogue, as well as singing through that duration with horns and singing blending for "the big hits" of a song. It's been done before, but this is an attempt to push the idea further. I believe it is clearly trying to be state of the art.

However, judges top picks include those who they believe push the envelope, and in this they were received with less success than others.

You push the envelope by doing something new.

Singing and Narration were both done in 2004 before the Cadets did it. So putting singing and narration in 2006, doesn't do much since it's already done before.

Multiple and Simultaneous Staging Points from beginning to end has never been touched upon. That's where innovation as in, something new, was placed.

I place bets that critiques after shows often had tons of comments on this with the GE judges.

I would argue that "doing something new" would also include taking things to another level.

Case in point- Cavaliers. Robot motions fitting the theme. Body motion has been done many times before, and well. However, the extent to this done throughout the show and the fittingness of the movements gave a clear opportunity for the hornline and drumline to perform as characters to an extent that has not been seen before. Therefore, pushing the envelope.

Cadets tried to push the envelope hard, but their finished product was not recieved well enough for them to be in the top.

BUT! Like them or hate them, they sure are talked about alot. Unfortunately, most of the talk I've heard is about their performances where people would consciously choose not to clap, how parts of the show made them cringe.

Some people will stick by them and some people will like this show, but as a whole this show was not recieved well AT ALL and that is noteworthy and people will remember it because it IS a flop of a show for them.

Also, 10 years from now, I won't remember 2006 as the year Drum corps announced that it will move it's Championships to Indy for the next 10 years in 2008. I'll remember 2008 as the first summer of the Indy DCI championships.

I don't remember what year the multi-key proposal was passed, I remember the first season it was in action. Ah, just kidding, I don't even keep track of that!

To me, this summer was about Phantom. A different take on how to plan a season, they planned to start slow, rewrite the show, than slowly gain ground, all the way to next to the top. The semifinals crowd received the show ridiculously, and the finals night performance was in my opinion what drum corps should be about. Really loud, and full of Defiant heart.

Edited by Stick Stack