2007 Troopers

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Stellar:

The Troopers are doing an awful lot to have a greata 2007 season. Camps thus far have been good and we expect even better results at December and January camps. Our staff is doing wonderful things for the program on all fronts - recruiting is going well, show design is going well. There are a LOT of things happening in Casper (that I can't say out loud yet) that will propel the corps forward - all that's missing is YOU! (sorry, that sounded like a commercial, didn't it?)

Find out for yourself....

First, go here >>> http://www.troopersdrumcorps.org

Next, go here >>>> http://members.troopersdrumcorps.org/

Finally, go here >>> http://members.troopersdrumcorps.org/rsvp.htm.

Come on out to Knoxville - see for yourself.

Maybe it is just me but a simple we have had x horns 250 drummers and x guard would answer him. The continuous evasion of his question makes things look suspect.

not really.

~>conner

Hi.

This is Scott A. from The Troopers. We are doing very well. When I was contacted a few months ago to take on the job of heading the brass team, I thought it would be next to impossible to fill out a hornline after taking a year off. To my pleasant surpise, there has been a great amount of interest in the corps as well as an unbelievable amout of support from people throughout the acitivity.

We do kind of have a loose partnership with some universities. The University of Tennessee is where I got my masters degree and there are some folks on the brass team that I knew from there that are on board. In addition to that I often discuss instructional strageties with of many of my professors at The University of Washington like Tim Salzman and Allen Vizzutti. Allen does not follow the activity at all, but he is interested in the pedagogical side of things and we often discuss those in lesssons (when I am not hacking away on trumpet).

We also have formed a pretty cool partnership with Boise State University as well as The University of Wyonming. Both Universities have offered us the use of their facilities (which are really impressive) and they are encouraging their students to march with us (which many of them are). One of them s even working on giving kids college credit in years tocome for marching corps. This deal is not done yet, but if it were it would not only give college credit to students but some of them would be elligible for tuition assistance (pretty cool huh?).

Obviously it is WAY to early to predict these kinds of things, but I am hoping and expecting for us to have a great season, and I am really excited about it.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

wow there are a lot of promising things that I was unaware of. Bravo Troopers! have a great season and hopefully other drum corps can start making collegiate relationships that the troopers are making. I know Spirit has, but i dont think other have made the same attempt/strides. Look forward to seeing Troopers now this season b**bs

I'm not so sure I like the idea of the 11th Cav (or any other corps for that matter) getting too cozy with academic institutions. For many kids, Drum Corps is the first activity they've ever participated in outside of school, and many of them prefer it that way. Who wants to go from school most of the year to a Drum Corps that's nothing more than a student transfer. That's what they try to escape from. JMO

I don't really see it that way.

I mean, regardless, most corps practice at high schools or colleges anyway... and it's not like you're going to class or anything.

~>conner

I'm not so sure I like the idea of the 11th Cav (or any other corps for that matter) getting too cozy with academic institutions. For many kids, Drum Corps is the first activity they've ever participated in outside of school, and many of them prefer it that way. Who wants to go from school most of the year to a Drum Corps that's nothing more than a student transfer. That's what they try to escape from. JMO

It's a housing facility that is being offered to us. It's not like we looked JUST for colleges to house at just for recruiting or other purposes...

I'm not too informed on the cost of these facilities but if they are being offered to us i'm sure that the act of taking them means that other housing sites weren't as cheap to use... and several things to take into account are facilities and what you can get out of that. These facilities, especially in Wyoming, can help us later in the season when we are learning drill and the weather isn't optimal. UW has an indoor facililty where we can use for learning the drill. We used it in 2005.

wow there are a lot of promising things that I was unaware of. Bravo Troopers! have a great season and hopefully other drum corps can start making collegiate relationships that the troopers are making. I know Spirit has, but i dont think other have made the same attempt/strides. Look forward to seeing Troopers now this season b**bs

Indiana University used to give college credit for marching drumcorps. Any Star alums want to verify that?

Garry in Vegas

It is not a coziness so much as it is a friendly partnership. Take Spirit, for example...although you can get college credit for marching the corps is run independently of the university insofar as membership is concerned. (And remember, college is different from high school! :laugh: :mmm: :ramd: :drool:) Facility usage and other perks is a BIG plus. Many shows are on college campuses and facilities...and a lot of corps staff are now teaching at the university level as well.

And, frankly, at the top end of the activity you will have accomplished musicans from the university level filling the ranks of the memberships. Not only is it not a bad thing, but it is almost a given to maintain the quality that is inherent in the activity today. So to have some connection is smart business :laugh:

Edited by prodigal bari