Drum Corps Diet

So on tour, I'm assuming it is kind of tough to provide stuff that isn't full of lots of preservatives, etc. Is the food "bad" while on tour? Do the kids end up gaining weight beause of the stuff they eat? It was sort of my assumption that kids would lose weight during a tour because of all the hard physical work they are doing all day.

No because...

The Beauty of Drum Corps = Eat anything and as much as you want while still getting in Shape.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi corps family! I thought this was a good idea. I want to prepare for the upcoming season by eating good food. What is the ultimate drum corps diet and morning routine? Like do you guys do pushups in the morning at home?

Hmm... asking a drum corps site about healthy food? Good luck, but I'll add that my favorite breakfast is throwing oats and an apple in a blender with some milk and chugging that baby down.

Physical preparation depends on one's specific performance demands. Colorguard members have different demands than bass drummers, for instance.

I presume corps eat better these days than back in the 70's. Our meals consisted of dry cereal (sometimes with milk if you were close enough to the front of the bus), tuna, bologna and cheese, and an occasional hot meal (usually pasta).

Who could eat better than that? Sounds like a feast!

Edited by Mean Guru

While I can't speak for other corps, I will say that the Blue Stars are very very conscious about what they feed the members. Good, healthy meals are the goal every day, and I've seen the cooks do some amazing things. Also, the last couple of years there have been about 10% or more vegetarians, and the cooks plan every meal with those options in mind. Last year I put in a "victory garden" of sorts and supplied a few meals of fresh garden vegetables...green beans, corn, leaf lettuce...and I know they did their very best to make sure it was low sugar and healthy. I hear they have an even more detailed plan for this year for healthy eating. I'm told that many members eat well and still lose significant amounts of weight during the summer.

Now, in MY day, the only meals we got were Micky D's or PB& J or tube steaks...and none of us lost any weight as far as I know. Also, we drank soda whenever possible, and that didn't help either.

I survived the summer on chicken salad, tuna salad, and was treated occasionally to pasta. Basically whatever our cook staff could prepare with their army of crockpots was what we ate.

Whenever there was something a person didn't like, there was always plenty of bread, peanut butter, jelly, and marshmallow fluff.

To drink we had water or koolaid, but we called it either red, pink, orange, or purple. Flavors didn't really matter: the taste of disinfectant conquered all!

We ate pretty well, and there was always plenty to eat. I usually got at least two servings at each meal, and ate everything in sight. However, I ended up losing 10 lbs by the end of the summer, but I'm guessing I actually lost a larger amount of fat but gained muscle, so i ended up being only 10 lbs lighter when in reality I probably lost closer to 20 lbs in fat.

It's good to eat whole grains and have no more than 6oz. of meat a day. (know that last one is a rough one. It's been tough on me, I know....)

Oh yeah, and you're going to be in the best shape of your life come August. It's awesome. The ladies, they will crave you.

Edited by zachariaswmb

Uh, I'm a girl, so I hope the ladies don't crave me too much, haha! As for food on tour, I hate when the food gets burnt. In my last few corps this seems to happen alot yuck! This year should be better though. It says n the handbook we get to pick what we want to eat at least once a day at buffets and such.