Santa Clara 2005

As someone who dearly wanted a corps to play Shostakovich 12th, and who showed my appreciation accordingly, I was disappointed with 2 aspects: the way the show quickly became Russian Christmas Music Part II and the lame storyline that was built around the music.

It wasn't even really concept/storyline of the show that bothered me, since it would have been fine. But there could have been so much more done with it. Instead we got college marching band drill and choppy segments. Oh well, 2005 is just a big year of badly designed shows IMO. Well maybe not a big one, but there seemed to be more glaring problems from some corps than normal.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really loved this show. i am generally not a huge scv fan, but i felt the corps got ripped off in 05. <**>

you crack me up

I love SCV - but 2005 was a sloppy + poorly designed mess

Take a look at the 7 from the saber line in the opener... Sloppy? I don't think so. The singles from the drumline in their solo in the 3rd... sloppy? I don't think so... Poorly designed mess? Think before you type!

Is any one bagging on the guard or drumline? I think most fo the "sloppiness and poorly designed mess" references were to drill and execution.

For many years leading up to 2005 the board of directors wanted Myron and Rick out of SC, for reasons that I don't know for sure. Myron took a big pay cut in 2005 and needed to devote a lot of time to L.D.B to break even. The brass staff disintegrated before move out and was replaced by one of the best around (Gordon Henderson), though still a change like that is a hard thing to recover from. Murray was in Africa for almost all of 9 to 9's, and Ron Hardin was everywhere but SCV pretty much the whole season. After Myron finished L.D.B's drill he was there the rest of the way, he played an integral part in that season (some of the fondest memories I have of him are from 2005). The show was in the hands of the corps members and I think we did an amazing job given the circumstances. As Ron said "It's time to clean your own A**'s now" refering to us having to clean our own drill, because they were to busy trying to complete the show design. We literally had one day in Indiana where we actually cleaned drill with Ron. The staff leadership was virtually non-existent.

I'm wondering how many of the "critics" saw the show live finals night ??

~G~

I didn't, but I'm not really commenting on the execution (thought others seem to be). I personally was majorly disappointed in the drill design. Hearing mention of 2 or 3 re-writes during THE SUMMER begs the question: WHY? I can understand SOME rewrites and tweaks, but multiple major overhauls just doesn't make sense to me, for an elite corps with an experienced staff. From what I recall, that's happened several times with SCV (Carmen?, the most recent Fiddler show?, the Not the Nutcracker show?) - I think that the members of the corps deserve better than learning a show, getting it ready for June, only to spend the summer having to learn a couple new versions of the show & play catch-up all summer.

So, I agree with the "props" to the corps members for being able to overcome everything & put on a high-energy performance at finals. But, shame on the design staff for not giving the corps an initial design that would allow the corps to maximize its potential.

Edited by billj