pit spots?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess Cavies is right out too then? :P

Not based on facts, just past precedents but most corps outside of the top 8-12 have a mallet spot or something open up until about move-ins. Things just happen. For one, keep your ears open and eyes reading. I'm sure there's a ton of corps that would LOVE to have you depending on your attitude and experience. Velvet Knights perhaps? I know if I was on the west coast that would be my direction. Pioneer, Mandarins, Blue Stars maybe? Just check out corps websites especially as move ins draw nearer and nearer.

This may seem like an obvious thing to say, but shouldn't your first step be to call or e-mail any corps you'd be interested in and simply asking them? :D

P.S. Good luck!

I already did that, but you guys are a good information source and may know of some spots that I didn't.

Troopers have spots as far as I know, I think they had 3 at the first camp. Kiwanis Kavaliers also have a few spots open.

I'm mostly looking at a div 1 and I'm willing to travel anywhere although I live on the west coast.

I would go to BD. It is a great corps and it is family. Nothing is set until tour and sometimes things can change then. BD is fair and will give you a chance...vet or not. It's your attitude that would make or break your chance there. For instance: You are the best mallet player on the west coast but your attitude stinks. BD would be more likely to take a person that shows a lot of skill and a good personality that wants to be there, not just because they can. B)

Cascades definitely have horn spots open... so it's likely they have pit spots. The question to which I do not have the answer is whether or not the auditionees who were rejected from drumline filled up the pit...

Ahem...believe it or not, people actually audition for a pit spot and the competition is pretty high. It's not like high school where whoever gets cut from the line, ends up in the pit. Just because someone can read rhythm does not mean that they can read music that is played on a keyboard...not to mention the difference in holding two sticks and four.

If someone is "rejected" from the drumline, it does not automatically give them a spot in the pit. I know when I marched BD the guys on rack and timpani auditioned for those spots. Those are the spots they wanted. No one was cut from the line and put into the pit. If they were cut, they were gone. If they wanted a spot in the pit, they had to audition like everyone else.

On a lighter note, Good luck to you and let us know where you go. :)

Ahem...believe it or not, people actually audition for a pit spot and the competition is pretty high. It's not like high school where whoever gets cut from the line, ends up in the pit. Just because someone can read rhythm does not mean that they can read music that is played on a keyboard...not to mention the difference in holding two sticks and four.

If someone is "rejected" from the drumline, it does not automatically give them a spot in the pit. I know when I marched BD the guys on rack and timpani auditioned for those spots. Those are the spots they wanted. No one was cut from the line and put into the pit. If they were cut, they were gone. If they wanted a spot in the pit, they had to audition like everyone else.

At the risk of sounding rude, Cascades is not BD, and in the Northwest corps there are a lot of "no-cut" situations. I don't know the exact situation yet this year, but I speak from experience. "If they were cut, they were gone" is quiiiite rare up here.