Who's left in G?

In the spirit of things, I plan to announce some shows in G during the upcoming season, and some in B-flat, to see if anyone can tell the difference.

Cool.

My shirts, however, will remain in the key of WTF..... :)

LOL

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again.. the Kilties are on GG contras.. not BBb tubas.. for at least this season and the 4 before it.

Thank you Chester! It makes me a little queezy seeing those little "Bb" letters next to the name of our corps.

Here's the corrected list:

DCA Corps using G brass

Empire Statesmen

Brigadiers

Renegades

Corpsvets

Kilties

Skyliners

White Sabers

Sunrisers

Music City Legend

Heat Wave

Frontier

Gulf Coast Sound

Shenandoah Sound

So Cal Dream

Jackson Generals

River City Regiment (BBb contras)

World Gone Mad

Grenadiers

DCA Corps using Bb/F brass

Caballeros

Bushwackers

Minnesota Brass

Buccaneers

Hurricanes

Alliance

Austin Stars

Govenaires

Chops Inc.

Crusaders

There, now I feel better B)

It's come to the Bb vs. G topic, so I have a question for all instructors out there. Mainly for those who have taught both g and b-flat. Which do you prefer to teach? Why? Have you played both personally? Which sound do you like better? (Not which is better) I'm just looking for other people's input in order for me to help discern something.

I say, blame whoever allowed multi-key in the first place. Not because I have a problem with it, but because had that can of worms never been opened...
I believe that you have come the closest to hitting the nail on the head when it comes to the G vs Bb discords, more so at least than anything else I've read.

To me it's not just the introduction of multi-key brass instruments into drum and bugle corps, but rather when three valve instruments were introduced. It was at that point, in my humble opinion, that the slippery slope of the hostile take over of the activity know as "drum and bugle corps" began, irregardless of the 3 valve instruments being called bugles and in the key of G.

Now, I'm not making any statement on weither G is better than Bb or not; heaven knows I wouldn't qualify to make that comparison. But what I am saying is that when 3 valves were introduced into corps', the purity of a corps being a drum and bugle corps was comprimised and that they were no longer a drum and bugle corps as drum and bugle corps were intended to be; but rather that they became drum and brass bands.

Today you have several so-called drum and bugle corps (brass bands in reality) listed earlier in this thread that have totally abandoned bugles - irregardless of the number of valves. What I don't understand is how they can in all good conscience continue to call themselves drum and bugle corps and dishonor the history and traditions of true corps of the past. Simply put it's not a truthful presentation of themselves! It's kind of like a store advertising limes for sale and then passing off lemons as limes. If you don't agree, I hope you're not the purchasing agent for my grocery store!

Even though I make no statements as to the G/Bb qualities, I do wonder why, if Bb is superior as some claim, didn't they just start their own brass instruments bands, circuts and associations rather that going through the hostile takeover that's taken place over the past several years! The only reasons I can think of beyond economics is because it would would have been too hard to accomplish or that Bb is not better as some claim and that those responsible knew or were not confident that it would fly on it's own merits. I can understand why it didn't happen when 3 valve instruments were introduced, but Bb?

Pioneer?

Edited by Contraholic

nope pioneer just got Bb horns if i rember correctly. they snatched up kiwanis kavaliers horns .

Edited by Mersinger3

Yes, I read the entire post, and we were the only corps that was singled out regarding our use of G bugles.

I'm not here to talk placement or numbers from previous seasons. If one wishes to make judgments about our corps based on 2006, so be it. It wasn't our best corps. However, Chris implies in his post that we don't play with balance, blend, or intonation. This is entirely untrue.

I will hold our 2005 corps as being the best corps that the Renegades ever put on the field. Yes, there were minor performance issues that night, but it was a consistent show that was performed to a very high standard. I will also say that no other hornline was as in tune as we were that night, and our intonation was incredible. I defy anyone to listen to recordings from that night and tell me otherwise. 2003 was a pretty good hornline, too.

I appreciate that everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to them, but I don't believe that the assessment Chris gave us reflects what we have brought to the field.

You might have read the entire post, but you didn't read the entire THREAD. I 'singled' you out because the guy before me compared the Renegades volume to the Blue Devils, and I expanded on that.

Dude, I flew all the way to San Francisco in February of 2004 just so I could be a small part of the Renegades for Chinese New Year. Just for one day.

How dare you even THINK that I would bash your corps. <_<

I THINK that it is the 'Gades philosophy to play freakin loud. That rules.

Yes you play with balance and blend. Yes you play with good intonation.

It is MY OPINION that it's easier to get Bb horns to play with B&B and good intonation than it is with G horns. THAT'S ALL.

Don't put words in my mouth bro...not cool.

Edited by bumo27