Biggest/Smallest Snarelines

What about star in 1988.

I don't remember exactly how many snres they had but I do know that they had snares instead of pop drums on their tenors that year. So technically you would have to count their snare line and tenor line for total snares on the field during that show.

I think it was seven and seven for primarily that reason. I didn't even notice the snares on the spocks until one of our snares told me about it and I went to see for myself.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was seven and seven for primarily that reason. I didn't even notice the snares on the spocks until one of our snares told me about it and I went to see for myself.

I actually used a set of those for the All-Star Corps after that season. They were pretty cool, but freakin' heavy. By the end of the Orange Bowl parade I was ready to die! If I recall correctly they had an 8" or 10" drum with a kevlar head and steel snares taped on the bottom of the head. Had kind of a Scottish drum sound to it.

Edited by sday88

Here ya go Geno!

3snares78.jpg

Thank you Dan! From left to right in that photo, # 3, 4, 6, 10, & 11 participated in the alumni corps show, and #12 came and helped us out a little

Another "in action" shot from '78 - pre pit days, where the snare line could come up and stand right on the front line and throw it down...

snare.jpg

Edited by GGarrett

Thank you Dan! From left to right in that photo, # 3, 4, 6, 10, & 11 participated in the alumni corps show, and #12 came and helped us out a little

Another "in action" shot from '78 - pre pit days, where the snare line could come up and stand right on the front line and throw it down...

snare.jpg

Well Geno that means you're either #3 and have lost your hair since then or #4 and grew a foot since then because I recognize the other 4 guys.

Well Geno that means you're either #3 and have lost your hair since then or #4 and grew a foot since then because I recognize the other 4 guys.

Nope, Mike, I was in the Guardsmen in '78. But I have indeed lost much of my hair... you got that part right. :P You are seeing Matthews... the self-

proclaimed "old man" of the alumni line, who now looks better than all of us younger than him did; Dennis Lindley; Tim Hummel and Dave Herrick ("Sundance").

The two you aren't getting are Tracy Newnam and Ken Schneider.

Hummel was in the Marquis (Fon Du Lac) and Tracy was a Geneseo Knight. Those others are Madison pure-breads. Dave "Sundance" Herrick went out and was

a judge for a few years.

snare.jpg

Cool pic. - Do you happen to know where it was taken?

You are seeing Matthews... the self-proclaimed "old man" of the alumni line, who now looks better than all of us younger than him did; Dennis Lindley; Tim Hummel and Dave Herrick ("Sundance").

The two you aren't getting are Tracy Newnam and Ken Schneider.

Geno,

Actually I was the "old man" in the battery in the alumni corps (51, having aged out in '76) that is why I believe I was refered to as "the oldest with the biggest", Guerno was the second oldest at 50 (aged out in '77) and Matthews and Robin were probaby both 49.

"Sundance" was one of the 3 rookies in my bass drum line in 1976 (of course he could play circles around me).

I was also the oldest marching Scout in 1976 being 21 years 11 months at finals. I guess I like the grandfatherly advice roll.

In the alumni corps Bill Gandt (in the front line) of course had a few years on all of us, he marched 1952 -1957 :wub::wub::wub:

I guess this topic is supposed to be about snare lines-so I'll let Matthews retain his "old man" title.

Edited by bass5

Impulse 2001. Div II

10 snares, 6 tenors, 5 basses, 5 cymbals

Beat several top 17 drumlines in Div I that year....

Hummel was in the Marquis (Fond du Lac)

I think before that he was in the Oshkosh Marauders.............corps whore!!!!! B)