1977 Finals

Muchachos never beat Madison at any other show that year, and there's nothing to indicate that the performance at prelims would have necessarily done the trick. I have Kobold's recording of M's prelims show. It's a good performance, great in the drumline, but a little sloppy in the hornline; not nearly as balanced as their finals show in '74.

And, as someone else previously noted, it wouldn't matter anyway, since they were marching in violation of the rules (in FLAGRANT violation, if some of the other elements of the story are true), so it wasn't a legal performance to begin with.

Didn't Crossmen also get dq'd for an age violation in '76 (not kicking them out of finals, but affecting their standing going into nationals?)

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished watching the Legacy dvd of 1977. What's the idea of all the corps gathering and stashing their equipment backfield? I found it quite distracting and it can't of helped the corps on the field. Was this normal in the day? :angry:

Yikes - this was my age-out year - and I thought I remembered every little detail. It was our "fight to the finish" a la Rocky style.

I do not recall leaving our equipment backfield and marching forward at 77 finals. I do know that in 78, my friends that were still marching in 27th, swapped drums with the Kilties when leaving retreat.

I do know that the back of the stadium was movable as Michael Boo said. I've read the article in various engineering magazines. The stands "floated" on air bags similar to the ones used on tractor-trailer suspension systems.

Yikes - this was my age-out year - and I thought I remembered every little detail. It was our "fight to the finish" a la Rocky style.

I do not recall leaving our equipment backfield and marching forward at 77 finals. I do know that in 78, my friends that were still marching in 27th, swapped drums with the Kilties when leaving retreat.

I do know that the back of the stadium was movable as Michael Boo said. I've read the article in various engineering magazines. The stands "floated" on air bags similar to the ones used on tractor-trailer suspension systems.

Should I ask DCI if my copy of the 77 finals is legit? It seems a lot of you who were there can't remember this happening or is it just an age thing! :P

Should I ask DCI if my copy of the 77 finals is legit? It seems a lot of you who were there can't remember this happening or is it just an age thing! :P

If I would get my ### off this recliner, I would look at my DCI Yearbook (those photos appear in the 1978 yearbook) and check out the assembled corps photo.

Maybe......this is another conspiracy and DCI is re-writing history. b**bs

Didn't Crossmen also get dq'd for an age violation in '76 (not kicking them out of finals, but affecting their standing going into nationals?)

Yes, disqualified for Championships. Last score was on Aug. 14th at the World Open. 7th place - 73.85.

If I would get my ### off this recliner, I would look at my DCI Yearbook (those photos appear in the 1978 yearbook) and check out the assembled corps photo.

Maybe......this is another conspiracy and DCI is re-writing history. b**bs

Are the DCI offices based in area 51? :P

Now if we had something like the National Archives...

I firmly believe that the 1975 Muchachos' Prelims score sheets are next to Kennedy's head!

Sorry urban myth, Muchachos did not win prelims in 75. See Paul Milano for the whole and correct account of events.

I said they were in the lead , I never said that they won. We all knew who won that show.

Burried under Giants Stadium, next to Jimmy Hoffa

Who was killed by the Ohio Players at the beginning of 'Love Rollercoaster' for sending the Mrs. Field's cookie recipe out for free over the Internet while eating Bubble Yum with spider eggs and fiberglass in it.