If phantom were to go back to black?

Way ahead of you LOL

This was the shirt from 96

Front

PRshirtfront.jpg

Back

PRshirtback.jpg

What a great T-shirt.

Man... if Phantom sold those again, I'd easy shell out a good $30 for that...

But then again, I'm crazy. :rolleyes:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Southwind

To be honest...I'm sick of "Contrast" and "Duality" as themes.

southwind (from my home state so I heard all the unnecessary fuss)

Marching Band (see sig)

Indor Drumline -Simliar Differences.

jeez.

It was in response to the comment that no one as really done the dual-uni thing like Skyriders did. However, I will say that I've been a big SW fan since 2000 (save 03 - I haven't seen it).

I kicked myself about this one for a while later. It was probably 98 when I saw PR for the first time live. I was still pretty new to the activity (meanning, I didn't know anything), and I was looking through the discount bin by PR's souvie wagon when I saw one of the 96 shirts. Being the bando that I was, I didn't realize how lucky I was and didn't buy it. doh!

If I remember correctly, they were "Back in Black" in '96 cuz they were IN black for the first time in '95. Should have been my age-out year. Would have been cool to usher out white and bring in the black--right up until July 4...

...and all the alum said, "AMEN!" Four parades on July 4 in the sun is not fun. Black helmets? Yuck. Roast yer brains. Shoes? Yuck. Scald the toes. Just marching those four in white was miserable. Yeah, yeah--drum corps were once parade ensembles and all that. I suppose I have a crappy attitude, but give me 12 hour rehearsals and stadium shows any day.

OK, some of you will be biased towards black like many of us are biased towards white. And I'm not being original in pointing out the fact you can see it better from the stands, the box, the concourse at Alamodome, etc. Black is a 'trimming' or 'thinning' color, which means that it makes you look smaller. Don't see many 'little WHITE dresses' for a reason. I fell in love with Phantom because they literally LOOK bigger on the field. Bigger, taller, wider (the shoulder things help).

Test it next season. Take a look at the Carolina Crown ensemble and compare them with Spirit. Both very good groups, very rich traditions, but one is in dark one is in light uni's. Crown simply looks BIGGER. Same with Phantom.

Contrasts? There is none better than Cavies and Phantom. Note: Statement meant simply to compare visual looks--not bashing anybody, and if I were I'd be wrong. I prefer PR, others prefer the Green Machine--both are great!

White--all white, top to bottom. LOVED the end of 2006 with starched whities Chicken to Dinkles. But granted, "Defiant Heart" would not have been the same in white. Kind of cool for The Ring, too. But beige???

White is a much more visually impressive color.

Black tends to minimize the visual impact of the people on the field. Which is why a lot of high schools use black pants to hide dirty feet. White sticks out and really fills the field.

Phantom's current uniform = overflowing with awesomeness.

Probably the reason the corps won marching something like, what--7 years in a row prior to '93? Couldn't hide it, couldn't run from it--just HAD to be better with the feet, and they were. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PR didn't lose marching until they cut down on M&M in '93 for more visual stuff. We had the same problem in '94. Probably part of the reason they only have one trophy--they're the only of the top 6 with white bottoms. Remember, we're talkiing about a green backdrop, unless you're in Boise!

Of course, Star did pretty darned good '90-'93 with white and cream, and someone from the northeast has taken home a few with light colored lowers.

How has SCV done in years with white lowers? '89 and '99 were white pants and shoes, right?

I wish they would've used black uniforms this year... The white baldric change would've looked completely amazing...

I love their black uniforms, and as fantastic as they look in white, I really think that their black ones just carry the bad-asp image that I, as I'd assume many people, associate with Phantom.

As you might guess from my user name, I love Phantom but I've never thought of Phantom as a "bad asp" corps. Quite the contrary, I love them becuase they are classy, intelligent, artful, daring yet conservative (a good mix for me) and bold.

As regards their uniform color, it depends. Some shows ask for white...some shows ask for black. Black was perfect for the 1996 show and the white would not have been as effective. Similarly, the white used in the mid-late 1980's with the Tchaikovsky performances were wonderfully accented by the white. So, it depends.

Edited by SpartacusRocks