color guards using wooden poles?

Did any color guards "back in the day" use wooden poles?

I know of some winter guards that use (or used to use) them... Chimeras (IW), Eklipse ( i marched here.. it was odd at first, but once we got the amount of washers stacked on the end right, it was a breeze!), Russlleville High School ( in KY) has been using them indoors and outdoors since 2001. I think the Patriots used them a couple times for winter guard...

anyone else??

Did any color guards "back in the day" use wooden poles?

I know of some winter guards that use (or used to use) them... Chimeras (IW), Eklipse ( i marched here.. it was odd at first, but once we got the amount of washers stacked on the end right, it was a breeze!), Russlleville High School ( in KY) has been using them indoors and outdoors since 2001. I think the Patriots used them a couple times for winter guard...

anyone else??

Carolina Crown used them in 1995 for the 8 GIANT flags at the end of the show. They were 10 foot long dowel rods (used for closet poles)

I know, because I went to Home Depot and bought them!

If we had used them "back in the day", they would have been snapped in half and in splinters with the first "Present Arms" or "Slam" to the ground with the tip. Back in the day, there was this thing called "Snap" that isn't as prevelent now. I'm proud to say I snapped my pole in half during OTL my Rookie year and it was a metal pole!. Good thing it was during practice or else a penalty for dropped equipment. Hmm, wonder if it would have only been a 1/2 penalty :) .

Don't know of any corps using wooden poles back in the '60s. We used metal poles that came in two pieces and had to be screwed together in the middle. I remember that one snapped during the '63 VFW nationals (during the finals as I remember).

We used them for exactly two months in my high school guard. We broke so many poles "snapping" that Steve finally said metal was the ticket. Since "snapping" is not done today, they could probably use them successfully in todays guard.

$10 and a around the world and back "snap" to MsBusDriver for the snap! :laugh:

Edited by deftguy

I'm proud to say I snapped my pole in half during OTL my Rookie year and it was a metal pole!

The last year I taught guard (1993), at the very last competition (state championships; it snowed that day, and the field was a sea of mud), one of my guard members snapped her flagpole during the closer. Fortunately, the flag casing held it together, but it was hanging at this weird angle. Because anything odd or out of line immediately catches my eye, I saw that and was thinking, "What the heck?" I asked her about it after they came off the field, and she said she'd broken her flagpole. Only time anyone in any of my guards did that.

Edited by byline

• 2 weeks later...

Byline: did you used to teach at Madisonville North Hopkins High school in Madisonville, KY??? It snowed at state championships in 1993.... and my sister used to be in the guard there in 1986

The last year I taught guard (1993), at the very last competition (state championships; it snowed that day, and the field was a sea of mud), one of my guard members snapped her flagpole during the closer. Fortunately, the flag casing held it together, but it was hanging at this weird angle. Because anything odd or out of line immediately catches my eye, I saw that and was thinking, "What the heck?" I asked her about it after they came off the field, and she said she'd broken her flagpole. Only time anyone in any of my guards did that.

Byline: did you used to teach at Madisonville North Hopkins High school in Madisonville, KY??? It snowed at state championships in 1993.... and my sister used to be in the guard there in 1986

Yes, I did! I taught in Madisonville from 1985 through 1993, so I should know who she is. I'm trying to remember if we were the last band on in prelims in '93. I think we were, so the field was pretty chewed up by the time we went on. Mud and dirt clods . . . and the flag line basically slinging mud into their faces. Instant facial! I also remember that at one point in the opener, my guard captain slipped as she was backwards-marching, and she went down, literally, into a splits position (and got back up incredibly quicly; I don't know how she did it). What a year!

Edited by byline

Her name is Erin Stevenson.... she was in band all 4 years, but did color guard her freshman year ( the year Madisonville did Don't cry for me Argentina, SImple gifts, and Jupiter).. she's what got me started!

Will Stevenson

Director of Colorguard

Lexington Christian Academy

Union County High School

Yes, I did! I taught in Madisonville from 1985 through 1993, so I should know who she is. I'm trying to remember if we were the last band on in prelims in '93. I think we were, so the field was pretty chewed up by the time we went on. Mud and dirt clods . . . and the flag line basically slinging mud into their faces. Instant facial! I also remember that at one point in the opener, my guard captain slipped as she was backwards-marching, and she went down, literally, into a splits position (and got back up incredibly quicly; I don't know how she did it). What a year!