'94 PR Clair de Lune

Oh, that's me isn't it? :P

That run through was a blast. As anyone who's ever watched any timpanist in the rain, it's an experience. But to have 2 other corps right in front of you just laughing and enjoying every minute of my personal show, was a rush. And I could hear the corps behind me was putting together a great show. It was one of those frusterating moments on tour though as well, as I wondered why we couldn't put on this level of a show all the time. That's drum corps though. It was a great run, and a lot of fun as it is anytime you get to have run throughs and share times with other corps during the season. And as for that whole Erie regional, yeah... it sucked. Too much rain for my liking.

Been there, done that! '92 Sky did Lerner and Loew's (sp?) musical 'Brigadoon.' Nice music. I don't know if it was DCEast or just a Boston show, but we're warming up for a show at (I think?) Boston University stadium and our first build up and hit in the opener is absolutely SMOKIN! I mean, if the biggest/loudest we had done in rehearsal or performance thus far were a 6 (early in season, 15th place corps, a bunch of rookies), that was about a 12!

Needless to say, we went out on the field, having scared ourselves to death, and did about a 3! It didn't really seem like we ever approached that raw emotion again on that. May have been the reverb from all the buildings!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O-M-G!! Here, here--I second Nikk. '94 was my only year with PR and I have been disappointed that it wasn't an "odd year" show. Those who know PR from '89 to '97 know it was kind of an every-other year thing. '94 was an even year despite the final placement.

But SHAZAM--fast forward to today and I am amazed with the comments about our show that year. OK, it still isn't '93, but hearing people (6+?) mention Clair de Lune in their top 5 means a lot!

Then hearing about Ms. Williams sentiments? :angel:

Wow! Thanks Mike. And thank YOU, Ms. Williams!

Here's what I had to say back in April of last year when somebody posed the question "What drum corps tunes pieced together would be your All Time Perfect Show?"

OK, nobody said this show had to make sense or have a unified theme... So as long as we're talking just "darn good drum corps"... just off the top of my head:

Opener: 1987 Santa Clara Vanguard - "Russian Christmas Music"

Drum Feature: 1987 Santa Clara Vanguard - "Lezghinka (from Gayne Ballet)"

Ballad: 1994 Phantom Regiment - "Suite Bergamasque (Claire De Lune)"

Closer: 1988 Madison Scouts - "Malaguena"

After Closer Tag: 1987 Garfield Cadets from "Appalachian Spring"

To this day one of the most beautiful drum corps moments I've ever experienced was 1994 Phantom Regiment - "Suite Bergamasque (Claire De Lune)". Maybe even my personal favorite ballad ever.

:wub:

not a DCI story but at least it happened on a football field...

my sophomore year in high school it was pouring down rain at the Tri-State Band Festival in Huntington, and it had been cold and dreary all day long. Earlier that school year, a brother from the chapter of KKPsi at Marshall was killed. The brothers sang the hymn on the football field in front of everyone, and the sun came out, and stayed out for Marshall's performance. It was very touching during the hymn especially. Just thought I would share :)

From Trisha:

<<How can I repay you for sending this? My, my Grandmother will be gone three years this March - hard to believe, but no matter what the weather, my mom & I visit the grave site, and I play that piece, and will to this coming year (and beyond) in the open air. She still hears it, and it still moves ME to this day!

THAN YOU EVER SO MUCH for sending this to me, Regiment and members of that year should be proud, VERY proud, of EVERY life they touch via their performances, nit just my grandmother's. Being a church musician yourself, you should know, or at least heard of the organist Frederick Swann of the "Crystal Cathedral" in CA. I was a student of Fred's and last year, at a concert last year - that FELL ON the 2nd anniversary of her passing, Fred played that on this organ - and dedicated it to her (and me). Fred is a stellar musician, who, BTW, has become very interested in drum corps through me. I'm hoping to get him to Pasadena this year if "he" isn't on tour.>>

And when I asked if I could pass on her e-mail if anyone PM'd me to ask for it, I got the following. (Note: I will never post an e-mail online.)

<<Absolutely. I spent/spend ALOT of time with Regiment members, and hope to sponsor one again this year.

By all means, share!>>

I'm not comfortable with this nickname for Ernesto.
Sorry to hear you're not a fan. I think some corps may be using it in shirts and stuff for the upcoming year. I know we referred to it as "Ernie" all week before and during. Many explitive things were yelled upwards at Ernie.

Nah, just kidding. That's funny. My junior corps nickname was Ernie.

What about Glassmen 04 - performing in that monsoon at Allentown, that was pretty cool.

Talk with any of the Bridgemen, North Star, Cadets, and others that literally marched in a monsoon mudslide show in New Jersey back in the late 70's in street clothes in full field show exhibition when the competition was cancelled due to the torrential downpour. The field was essentially mud. The Bridgemen wern't in " Street clothes " though. Mostly they performed their full field exhibition in their SKIVIES and other assorted undergarments and as Paul Simon would say, " slip sliddin' away " in the mud and rain ."Not making this up either." Funniest and oddest drum corps show performed in the rain ever.. People either really liked or really disliked the Bridgemen ( in their early years especially)..... older eastern drum corps vets will back me up on the Bridgemen's infamous " exhibition " in New Jersey in a rain cancelled competition in New Jersey back in the late 70's or early 80's.

Edited by X DM

The Bridgemen wern't in " Street clothes " though. Mostly they performed their full field exhibition in their SKIVIES and other assorted undergarments and as Paul Simon would say, " slip sliddin' away " in the mud and rain ."Not making this up either." Funniest and oddest drum corps show performed in the rain ever..

If that doesn't win, it has to be way up there. Great story!

Two stories...one involving weather and one involving the world outside the stadium.

1993 Carolina Crown - Columbia, SC: We started this show off with chimes and sound plates chiming off in the pit for a few measures. Well, across the street from the high school stadium we were performing at was a railroad crossing, so right as our show starts, the crossing warnings start going off, too. The crowd was laughing loud enough for us to hear it on the field. I just happen to have this performance on video tape and it always makes me laugh, too.

1993 Star of Inidiana - DCS Tour, Florida: I don't remember which show this was, but Star was performing. This was before their cream colored uniforms came in, so they were still wearing the red uniforms from the preceding years. There was a storm pretty far off from the stadium, but the sky was a really pretty reddish/orange color with dark clouds on the horizon. At the end of their Medea show there was lightning in a few spots that just seemed to fit with the music perfectly and I was left wondering how they managed to get God on their visual staff.

That's all I have....

Edited by Nespy

If that doesn't win, it has to be way up there. Great story!

I don't know, the RR crossing thing in the post after yours is pretty good! Still kind of partial to the Sky tornado thing and Nikk's '92 "almost" fireworks, though. I definitely missed out on the Bridgemen, though! Love to see a show with all the great "fun" corps--Bridgemen, VK, etc. I think it would be the best workout (ie, laughing) a lot of people in the stands ever got!