In regards to boo'ing

Your reaction...  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you agreed with another fan boo'ing that was sitting very near to you, but you were not boo'ing?

• Nothing, sit quietly.
    • Start boo'ing with them.
    • Shun them for boo'ing a corps.
    • Laugh.
  2. 2. What would you do if sitting near a boo'er that you completely disagreed with, regardless of anything happening on the field?

• Ignore them.
    • Laugh at them.
    • Shake your head in ashame.
    • Shout/talk to them about the boo'ing.
    • Threaten them.
    • Glare.

You're right, the attacks started with me.

I'm sorry to derail this thread.

But that may be above you.

I'll be sure to include every possible scenario next time for you.

I'm really sorry that I don't spell everything out 100% perfectly.

I'm new to this.

First of all, your second quote was not from this thread, which is what I assume we are talking about in this thread.

Second, I made a general statement not directed towards you but then you turn around and make a blatant personal attack against me and multiple condescending remarks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no call for boo-ing a corps...any corps for any reason.

the corps members work their ###es off to entertain the audience.

They do not deserve to be boo-ed

I am in 100% agreement with you on this one. I was often very angry and disgusted at fans who thought it was necessary to boo, for whatever reason. Very childish, rude and immature. After all, this is drum corps and not a hockey game!

I'm coming into this late, but, do people really boo a corps when they're on the field? Or is it just when scores are announced? I've never witnessed the former but have seen the later over many years.

To me, the two are entirely different: one is mena-spirited and directed at a corps <**> & the other indicated displeasure with the corps score (directed at the judges). In fact, I've been the proud recipient of boos when my corps score was announced -- it meant the audience thought our score should've been higher.

I didn't vote, because the poll wasn't clear when the booing occurs.

To me, the two are entirely different: one is mena-spirited and directed at a corps <**> & the other indicated displeasure with the corps score (directed at the judges). In fact, I've been the proud recipient of boos when my corps score was announced -- it meant the audience thought our score should've been higher.

Can't believe I getting back into this, but ....

Are you sure that's what it always means? Booing could be that the audience thought one corps' score should have been higher as you state, but couldn't some of it also be that the boo-er disliked the corps above them and is booing because they wanted to see said corps drop. They can say "Hey, I didn't boo the corps' performance" but booing their placement can be interpreted as basically the same thing, just using the "boo the judges" mantra as a cover. I get what you're saying, and do agree that, theoretically, booing the judges is different than booing the corps, but it's a very fine line and can easily be misinterpreted, which is why I avoid it altogether.

If someone dislikes a corps, they have 13 minutes to boo them. Stupid way to spend 13 minutes, but everyone has a hobby. In 25+ years of shows, I have never seen this. They may sit and say, "This sucks, that line sucks, the guard stinks, what stupid music," or whatever, but I've never heard booing during a corp's show.

At the end, when they are announcing scores, a boo always means the crowd feels that corps should have been scored or placed higher. It has always meant that. Whoever is not aware of that American cultural tradition may be paranoid or just ultra-sensitive.

That would allow for the best experience for the kids on the field.

No child left behind perhaps.

Too too funny! Not only does Drum Corps provide the most positive experince these kids are likely to have in life, they are now to be responisibe for 1500 kids' emotional well-being. How dare anyone hurt the feelings of a college student for crying out loud.

Get over it. They boo scores, not kids. Geez!

For the record, I have confronted boo-birds in the stands ... last year, nearly coming to blows.. I think it's classless and rude and just like if I saw somebody at a grocery store just wailing on their kid with closed fists, I feel obligated to step in.

Stef

Just curious, was it a BAC mom? I think I may have been sitting nearby.

Not a single corps member deserves to be boo'ed.

If you think a corps requires boo'ing, have the guts and huevos to go up to the director and tell him. Boo'ers are cowards

Any since you cannot boo a corps with out boo'ing the corps members I believe boo'ers should be removed from the stands.

Feel free to add your own details to this.

Not a single corps member deserves to be boo'ed.

If you think a corps requires boo'ing, have the guts and huevos to go up to the director and tell him. Boo'ers are cowards

Any since you cannot boo a corps with out boo'ing the corps members I believe boo'ers should be removed from the stands.

I agree.

At the end, when they are announcing scores, a boo always means the crowd feels that corps should have been scored or placed higher. It has always meant that. Whoever is not aware of that American cultural tradition may be paranoid or just ultra-sensitive.

Really? It always does??

gee, that's interesting because at finals this past year, I was sitting in my seat, minding my own business when a woman wearing a corps related jacket decided to sit on the seat at the end of our aisle (which was not hers, but hey, that's another thread entirely). When the scores were announced for a DIFFERENT corps.. one which had placed ahead of the corps named on her jacket.. she began to boo loudly.

I said calmly to her, "don't boo, that's rude."

Thus commenced the conversation that revealed she did not feel that THAT corps had been scored or placed to low.. but that THAT corps has beaten HER corps. SHE was intending HER boos to be heard by HER corps .. whose score had been announced already.. I know this because she TOLD me.

She also argued that "those kids know it's booing the score/placement.. they're not stupid" and a myriad of other responses I have read on this very thread used to justify this abhorrent behavior. Things went south when I suggested she return to the seat she purchased to continue exhibiting the offensive behavior.. again.. another thread entirely.

I suppose if I was prone to said abhorrent behavior I might also try to find ways to justify it with any excuse or 'historic precedent' I could find. I would probably also strive to point out (however backhandedly or vaguely) how blind, overly-sensitive or whiney people who thought my behavior was abhorrent are.

But here's the thing, I've had occasion to TALK to kids and even some adults who had been the inadvertent recipients of boos over the years.. and each time when I've asked them about it, if they remember it.. they always say, "yeah.. but not everybody is gonna like our show.. that's their loss."

So I have first hand experience with examples to the contrary of your statements.. not just ONE example but many over the course of many years.

You are free and welcome to believe whatever you wish and whatever makes you feel better about your behavior (if you are prone to boo "scores and placements").. I choose to believe that for which I have proof.. and the proof I have supports my previous assertions that it is NEVER okay to boo at a drum corps show.

There is NO circumstance under which booing is justified.. perhaps you feel strongly about something but I say there are better, more effective and less rude ways to express your displeasure for -- or more accurately by your assertion -- your support of a corps performance than opening your piehole to emit the sound of "boo."

Stef

Just curious, was it a BAC mom? I think I may have been sitting nearby.

I prefer not to mention the name of the corps since I believe the behavior of one person doesn't need to reflect badly on the corps as a whole.

It was a mom, though.