84 27th lancers drumline

It was a tough year in that department. I remember it well, but I think that sort of "dirty laundry" should stay "in the house," if you know what I mean. Steph may have come to us after that happened, I don't remember. She will clarify that, I'm sure.

I agree Dave. I e-mailed with Stef over it and I relaized I had a weak moment there.

YOU CAN'T UNRING A BELL!!!! NOW DISH!!!!

I guess you can't unring a bell, but you don't have to answer it either. :P

Well I guess I did open a can of worms here. But there are behind the scenes events with every drum corps that should remain behind the scenes. That being said, I can say this: there were some changes made prior to second tour to help with tempos. Changes that at the time were a little difficult to handle. They had a personal effect on me. But sometimes difficult decisions must be made and as it worked out, the drum line benefited by them as can be seen by these great comments on this topic. Any wounds caused by the changes were certainly healed when we walked on the field in Foxboro in 1994.

It was also a tough year from a visual standpoint as we continued to try to find the next Zingali. So there was a lot of pressure to try to get the corps up to speed visually also. Hey we still did enough to make finals and allow that drum line a chance for a title.

FWIW, although the visual and horn captions were a little suspect in 84, I don't think anyone ever thought Lancers wouldn't make finals. And not just because of the drumline either.

FWIW, although the visual and horn captions were a little suspect in 84, I don't think anyone ever thought Lancers wouldn't make finals. And not just because of the drumline either.

We were a little worried, especially after we had a poor prelims show. The judges actually messed us up because as we turned the corner before entering the stadium, we were told we had four minutes. As we went in, the timing judge said we had one, and we did not get a chance to warm up. Everything just seemed to be off from there and we knew it. We came off the field extremely upset and concerned that we might be out. Then they wanted to take our corps picture. I pity that poor photographer who was brutally harrassed (well, maybe not quite that bad) as he kept rearranging us for the picture. :sshh:

• 7 years later...

Just to clear a few things up. No, Paul Rennick didn't march in '84. He marched '85-'86. Yes, Shelly Irvine marched tenors that year, and Charlie Poole was the arranger/instructor. And for the record, we in the snare line thought Spirit of Atlanta had a cool drumline that year.