Classic Countdown Prelim Picks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI is planning on showing the top 8 vote getters.

If a show has been on the classic countdown previously, it is still eligible.

The only limiting factor is that only one show per corps is allowed.

See, I don't get that. It seems to me that if a corps has already had its place in the sun previously, then it should be removed from the list. Not because it's not worthy of recognition, but simply because it's already received its recognition, and other corps deserve their shot at the spotlight. Oh, well. That probably comes across as, "Bah, humbug!"

See, I don't get that. It seems to me that if a corps has already had its place in the sun previously, then it should be removed from the list. Not because it's not worthy of recognition, but simply because it's already received its recognition, and other corps deserve their shot at the spotlight. Oh, well. That probably comes across as, "Bah, humbug!"

Yeah, what she said!

I agree with you. I don't plan on voting for anything that has been in previously and I think most people feel the same way.

In my opinion, if you are going to show the best 8 of all time, it should be the best 8, even if thats 3 Cadets, 2 Regiment, 2 Cavies, and an SCV.

As soon as they say only one show per corps, its no longer the best 8.

I have often said, do the classic countdown as it has been done previously in the spring, do a no holds barred version in the fall. More corps for everyone :)

Hey Gang, it's time for some Canadian Content in the Classic Countdown !!!!

I voted for :

1975 Oakland Crusaders

1977 Seneca Optimists

1990 Dutch Boy

Cause it is Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL after all !! :blink:

From 1972 to what year constitutes a classic, 1999 ?

Have to agree with you ODBC, I chose 75 Oakland Crusaders and 77 Seneca as well to include in the Countdown since the earlier years of DCI had so many fine Canadian Corps. I also excluded those that had already been chosen, just to give a shot at some of the greatest shows performed, but forgotten due to time. As for "classic", I guess that is all relative to when you marched, or became aware of the activity.

Edited by vonriedesel

Well, the very thing I was complaining about happened: Included in the preliminary round are corps that have already been featured in the Classic Countdown. I realize that I must sound like an old grouch, but it seems to me it ought to feature a round of new corps every year that fans didn't get to experience on previous countdowns. Otherwise, we're essentially giving glory to many of the same corps over and over again, and it seems to me that that defeats the purpose of what DCI is trying to do.

Edited by byline

I went with

1976 Capitol Freelancers - My Alumnus' first go at DCI FINALS

1979 North Star - Pretty killer show

1980 Spirit of Atlanta - Let it Be Me

1982 Sky Ryders - They looked like Redneck pimps but had a killer show. La Virgin De La Macarena is an awsome old school chart

1985 Star of Indiana - Birth of greatness and a very entertaining show before Star took themselves so seriously

1987 Garfield Cadets - Drum corps greatness. A perfect marriage of music and visual the likes of which we would be hard pressed to see again. The emotion was amazing

1990 Dutch Boy - Their one and only appearance in The Big Dance and I really liked the show.

1992 Crossmen - My all time FAVORITE dci show. A definite breakout season for Bones and this show grips you from the first note and never lets go. The ending was simply exquisite.

Well if this one is considered "the best 8 of all time", then why would it matter if a previous show has been shown? Obviously it would be considered "one of the best 8" of all time. What needs to happen is they don't need to have another "the best 8 of all time" countdown after this one and cut out all the 06 shows, cause I still for the life of me don't get how a show from last year can be classic already. :worthy:

The whole thing is a little redudant to me, but I'm glad alot of 80's shows made it, just sad more 70's didn't. :(

Looks like too many of my pre-votes didn't get into the top 8. I wanted '77 27th and '86 BD. I had already voted for and seen '75 Madison and as much as I love '80 27th (I was on the drum staff) I would rather have seen '79 27th too. Oh well.....here are my top 8.

1975 Madison Scouts

1980 27th Lancers

1980 Bridgemen

1983 Garfield Cadets

1984 Garfield Cadets

1987 Garfield Cadets

1994 Blue Devils

2003 Blue Devils

I posted this in the Classic Countdown thread in the main junior corps forum but am reposting here for your enjoyment:

Here's how I made my selections.

First, anybody who has appeared in the previous two Classic Countdowns are out. Already seen them on the big screen and, truth be told, I've got a nice 37" plasma and 5.1 Dolby sound system which does those shows justice without shelling out $10+.

Second, I also eliminated any shows from the past five years. Just like pro sports halls of fame don't allow retired players on the ballot until they're out of the game for at least five years, I'll let these shows improve with age and see how they stand when the time comes.

That left seven shows:

1983 Garfield Cadets

1987 Garfield Cadets

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard

1994 Blue Devils

1995 Madison Scouts

2000 Cavaliers

2001 Glassmen

I needed one more. Since I consider my first rule more important than my second, I included 2003 Blue Devils as it is the oldest champion performance from the past five years which hasn't already been on the countdown or already on my ballot.