DCI Show Design

Ice

"what we respond to in any work of art is the artist’s struggle against his or her limitations.”

Discuss.

What I respond to is if I'm entertained or not. Don't really give a rats hindquarters if the artist struggled or not.

So who is the artist in the DC world?????

Yeah I know, too low brow of an answer... ook, ook B)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the greatest works of art came out of situations that were full of restrictions and limits. Take the Sistine Chapel and Michaelangelo's work, for example. Within the walls of the Vatican's greatest building he created arguably one of the greatest visions known to man...yet he could not tear out walls, he was physically challenged at every step by the environment and the medium. In the last several centuries people still marvel at this incredible masterpiece and wonder; "How did he do this HERE working with only THAT?"

That is the mark of a true artist, and true art. Make more of what you have.

The greatest artists can work around restrictions and make something new and unique. If you always remove restrictions then it can become lazy and even base...take a look at some of the unrestricted forms of artistic expression (if you would call it that) that use human waste and other vile forms of medium. It is art in name only. <**>

I am not saying it will go that far, but DC has to be very careful to clearly define the medium and hold to that medium that had identified it for years. Most of the changes that have occured until recently (adding valves and expanding/developing acoustic percussion) is within the medium of marching brass/percussion/visual unit that identifies the activity. I AM NOT TRYING TO OPEN UP ANOTHER ARGUEMENT HERE :) ; but the A&E movement is changing the medium in a radical way...that wall is down for amplification; and DC is starting to stray from it's idiomatic identity. Therefore we have seen, IMHO, some lazy attempts to use it to create new for the sake of new (i.e., poorly designed vocals) rather than streching the existing medium to create fresh and exciting design.

Here is another example of the pitfalls of taking away restrictions. Chuck Jones (the great WB animator with the Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes cartoons) used what he called 'diciplines' that defined the WB cartoon brand for many decades. (His definition of a 'dicipline' is a restricition that a particular character MUST work around...i.e.; Wile E. Coyote's inability to talk). Anything else goes....ANYTHING;...and as long as he stuck to that, the cartoons he designed were absolutely cutting-edge. When he dropped those diciplines and make all his characters like humans....well then, they got BORING. And they lost their audience; and they died off for a long time.

DC's designers are at the same decision point that Chuck Jones faced in the late 50's-early 60's: change the character of the activity by dropping the 'diciplines' that identified the activity and making it like something that already exists...in order to free themselves up so they don't have to work so hard creatively. It may destroy the identity and uniqueness of DC.

I will finally contend that the smartest visionaries will work within the wall, like Michaelangelo; and continue to create visions that the students will pull off magnificently; and that audiences will go nuts over...like people still do the Sistine Chapel. Just don't tear down the walls of our St. Peter's. They will never get built back.

Edited by prodigal bari

QUOTE(GMichael1230 @ Feb 3 2007, 01:58 PM)

The football field isnt an art gallery, and we arent art critics the day we attend a drum and bugle corps show. Competition calls for rules, rules need to be followed. The idiom needs to be true to itself so as to not lose its credibility..which it is doing year, by year.

~G~

Are you and I the same person? :beer:

Agree also!

Our group is growing. :huh::beer::beer:

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Yes yes, I'm aware that he's posted on here occasionally. So keeping the maybe trend going, maybe we can leave our issues in an amp debate where you're still yet to respond to my earning respect hasnt changed since someone taught you it concept, and let this actually good thread continue. I brought a little humor into, my bad. Won't happen again, Sir.

Do you really have to cheapen and demean every thread with your off topic, sophmoric ramblings ?? I mean....really.

~G~

I am pretty sure it is sophOmoric. Anyway, so that my comments don't get deleted, even though I see no difference in your personal attacks than mine (ahem, mods), I'll respond to the OP.

I think within this discussion of rules should be an understanding that with time, with most performance related competitions, rules change, and not always for the betterment or to worsen an activity. It is not special to drum corps.

Maybe, you can try and stay on topic so we can keep a discussion going ?? btw, he has been here posting.

~G~

im eating chips right now.. theyre those tostitos bite size gold. i use them when i eat chili but i ate the last of my chili earlier today so im just eating the chips plain. theyre pretty good... mmmmm