Anyone catch the Super Bowl Halftime Drumline?

Two hour meals? Practicing inside?

Weak.

From an athletic training stand point( Coach and Athletic Trainer), Their schedule is very good. Two hour meal break is appropriate, having time to eat and digest the food is never a bad thing. As for practicing inside, that is very, very smart. It gets extremely hot and humid in Florida. Inside practice during the hottest part of the day is not only practical but safe for the members. Not all the cold Gatorade and ice towels in the world prevent you from succumbing to heat illness.

Why knock 'em for using the facilities they have? Bet you’re jealous :worthy:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...that's great unless you have, what's it called? Oh yeah, dignity. It is called sellling out, and I wouldn't take part in a performance like that.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were not so dishonest. You bring a band out, let them play - otherwise they are little more than an emulation of what it might be like to have a band there. At least when they bring a drum corps to an event, they expect them to play.

I don't agree with it, but pre-recorded music is how the Super Bowl does it now. Maybe their afraid the band will drown out the singing. Trust me on this, The Marching 100 can really play, and play really well B)

All of us in D&BC are into seeing perfect forms, dressing lines, etc.

The halftime show was made to entertain the general public. They are not going to care how straight the lines are and all of that jazz. We live in a MTV generation that doesn't really care much about what DC has to offer. The only people that I know of that know of corps (besides marching members) are people that I have shown DVDs and videos to. Corps isn't necessarily something that you proclaim to the world unless you're with a bunch of people who actually know what it is. Explaining it takes some time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is yeah, the halftime show wasn't the greatest in terms of marching, but it was made to entertain the MTV generation. There's not much we can do about it now; the whole country has seen it.

It's not that they don't care about putting on a clean performance; they just don't have 3 months to make it perfect like DI corps. The members are college students, they have classes, exams, practice, and there are days when the university won't let them practice. It's also no easy feet to work with a professional production company. PSU Blue Band opened Marc Jacob's 2006 fashion show (fall 2005) kicking off fashion week in NYC. We didn't get the music they wanted us to play until a week before the gig and the performance wasn't finalized until the day of the gig. It wouldn't surprise me if the Marching 100 prepared several differ sets or variations of drill for the Super Bowl. Also bands get some pretty nice donation checks for gigs like this and to get referrals for more gigs you need to keep the sponsors happy. Can't maintain a high profile college marching band with out a lot of money....

Hey, what about Jacksonville State?! 'cause they, you know, have a d&b corps of their own...

Dan

JSU is a different animal altogether. Most years, they only do one show plus a pregame -- with 80 sets of drill. You won't see a full JSU show until mid-October. The SEC bands do between 3 and 12 different shows per year, plus a pregame.

Edited by lowend

Yeah...that's great unless you have, what's it called? Oh yeah, dignity. It is called sellling out, and I wouldn't take part in a performance like that.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were not so dishonest. You bring a band out, let them play - otherwise they are little more than an emulation of what it might be like to have a band there. At least when they bring a drum corps to an event, they expect them to play.

What about when the Cadets grab every kid they can find in Pennsylvania to go on Letterman as the Cadets drumline?

Edited by lowend

Where to begin.....

The pregame drumline was not intended to be the center of attention it appeared to be. Before you all jump to conclusions and say "the drumline sucks", " they can't march", "they're sloppy" etc. Just know their main purpose on that field was to have fun...

Were they dirty? I'm sure they were...nobody would've noticed since they played along with a prerecorded track.

Most of those members are part of the Paradox Percussion Theatre...an Independant Indoor line from Miami, the rest of the drummers on that field were from F.I.U, and Everglades High School. The choreography, drill, and music, was not written by someone with any sort of Marching knowledge. "Lean here....go forward there".

Was it bad? No! It was Horrible. We cancelled rehearsal for the superbowl gig... None of them took it serious....so don't over analyze it.

They all have more important tasks to accomplish....The Superbowl gig was never at the top of that list.

::Flame away::

Edited by Toe

What about when the Cadets grab every kid they can find in Pennsylvania to go on Letterman as the Cadets drumline?

I just said I wouldn't do it - everyone else can do whatever they want. :)

Actually, that was way better than one would expect for how quickly they threw that together. They may not have all been Cadets, but they represented well. I think I'm comming off as really critical, and I am really not. I think it was probably a fun experience, and I'm positive more people were talking about Prince's guitar than mentioned the band or anything else.

It's not that they don't care about putting on a clean performance; they just don't have 3 months to make it perfect like DI corps. The members are college students, they have classes, exams, practice, and there are days when the university won't let them practice. It's also no easy feet to work with a professional production company. PSU Blue Band opened Marc Jacob's 2006 fashion show (fall 2005) kicking off fashion week in NYC. We didn't get the music they wanted us to play until a week before the gig and the performance wasn't finalized until the day of the gig. It wouldn't surprise me if the Marching 100 prepared several differ sets or variations of drill for the Super Bowl. Also bands get some pretty nice donation checks for gigs like this and to get referrals for more gigs you need to keep the sponsors happy. Can't maintain a high profile college marching band with out a lot of money....

plus they performed 7/8 of the show in the DARK!

I thought Prince and the band were great. I have to admit I missed the pregame drumline because I was coming from MBI drill rehearsal in -5 degree weather here in MN (we were in the 49 degree dome).

These productions are always changing and will always be upstaged by a man with an electric guitar behind a sheet with a "kock and balls" phallus. B) The band was great.

I also have marched big ten and drum corps and can attest that although the training is different, marching a 3 mile parade doing high step is much more rigorous than any show I have marched or choreographed.

as always, create peace, not division.

Brent

Edited by Brent

Maybe so, but the crappy drumline and bands were seen by tens of millions of people.

The Spice Girls were seen by tens of millions of people as well. It doesn't mean they are superior to other performers with smaller audiences.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, this is a joke. Not only did I perform for the pregame, but I TAUGHT the music! I know it was cheesy music...Concert snare track played over the P.A. people. The tenors were timbales and I cannot honestly tell you what the bass drums were because they were not on the track. We had a week to learn everything marching wise and considering how little time we had, we did a good job. For all of the bashers out there...Tell me how many times you've played for 90 million people.

As far as show band style goes, it is what it is. Show bands perform the hell out of their music and they DO work their butts off. They strive for the same goals as drum corps do, just maybe not to the same degree.

I have to say, though, anyone who thinks show bands are equal physically to drum corps, try 5 weeks of move in in 115 degrees. Try getting 3 hours of sleep on a cramped charter bus then practice all day. Try doing the shows that night.