Anyone catch the Super Bowl Halftime Drumline?

Say what you want. Those "bands" sold out the Georgia Dome last week - 67,000 people.

First, this is a side discussion with regards to the athleticism required by Show bands.

Second, that's one show - do they have the kind of pull to do that in every city across the US, to have theatrical showings of their competitions, to have dvd and other merchandise, etc. on a national scale?

Again, I'm not knocking them, and I think they're fun for what they are, but anyone is going to have a hard sell if you want to tell me that Show Bands have tougher rehearsals.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to have a hard time convincing me of this. Drum Corps begins everyday practice in the middle of may and doesn't stop till the middle of august. These show bands don't have anywhere near that type of rigorous training and rehearsal schedule. They're good at what they do, and I appreciate their efforts, but they're not comparable with drum corps. IMO

I'm a corps guy but FWIW (this is about Florida A&M)

The band members, themselves, love it too -- they have to, to be as dedicated as they are. The Marching 100's motto is: "Perfection in music, highest quality of character, and precision in marching." They work extremely hard to live up to that. During the August sessions before classes begin, "they do nothing but eat, practice and sleep," Dr. White says. He's serious. Their schedule begins with breakfast at 7 a.m. They rehearse outside on the field from 8 to11. Lunch is from 11 to 1 p.m. Then they practice indoors, in smaller groups, from 1 to 4. Dinner is from 4:30-6. And then they're back on the field rehearsing from 7 to 11 at night.

Full story on ESPN

Edited by pito'evil

Their schedule begins with breakfast at 7 a.m. They rehearse outside on the field from 8 to11. Lunch is from 11 to 1 p.m. Then they practice indoors, in smaller groups, from 1 to 4. Dinner is from 4:30-6. And then they're back on the field rehearsing from 7 to 11 at night.

Think that proves my point with regards to the OT athleticism debate :)

Edit: Part of the challenge is that daily schedule, but its the endurance required to do it for 3 months or so that really puts corps over the top.

Edited by raphael18

Totally different style of marching. If you know anything about HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) marching bands, then you will know that DCI practices are nothing compared to what these bands go through. If you ever have the opportunity to attend a HBCU football game you will also find that they play all knds of music including classical very very well from memory. The halftime show did not do Florida A and M band any justice to their true ability. Ask someone from Florida State's band.

I went to the Honda Battle of the Bands during the DCI seminar in Atlanta and wrote a rewiew that will be on DCI.org someday soon. I enjoyed it tremendously. And I must say that Norfolk State University totally blew me away. I couldn't believe their remarkable sound, and the show was jammed with really intricate musical lines. Their production left my jaw absolutely agape.

Say what you want. Those "bands" sold out the Georgia Dome last week - 67,000 people.

Yeah, but with a $million corporate sponsorship that enabled them to sell ALL 60,000+ tix for just $10 each. That, and most of the 10 colleges represented have a fairly large number of alumni living in the Atlanta area who are happy to go out and support their alma mater, especially when it only costs $10 to get in.

Edited by oldsoprano

Yeah, but with a $million corporate sponsorship that enabled them to sell ALL 60,000+ tix for just $10 each. That, and most of the 10 colleges represented have a fairly large number of alumni living in the Atlanta area who are happy to go out and support their alma mater, especially when it only costs $10 to get in.

Maybe DCI should look into corporate sponsorship like that to reduce ticket prices... :)

Their schedule begins with breakfast at 7 a.m. They rehearse outside on the field from 8 to11. Lunch is from 11 to 1 p.m. Then they practice indoors, in smaller groups, from 1 to 4. Dinner is from 4:30-6. And then they're back on the field rehearsing from 7 to 11 at night.

Two hour meals? Practicing inside?

Weak.

Let band be band and drum corps be drum corps! Band anything should not be on a DCI website.

::blink::

You know its the off-season when... :)

Two hour meals? Practicing inside?

Weak.

Agreed...i know they're good, but my college band, which is not that great at all follows a similar schedule, with shorter meals.....sooo i dont see the big deal.