Favorite Old School Color Guard

Kingsmen! :worthy::angry:

Not just on the field, but off of it as well.

27th of course...simply because I would definately go into a bar brawl with them on my back...

But that brings me back to the Kingsmen again, 'cause I had one on my back and she rocked!!! :worthy::worthy:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only got to see Holly Hawks in 1980. I didn't quite get it. Lack of maturity on my part, probably, as I think they won that year. I found them fairly drab, and thought their unis were too much like Santa Clara's. Plus I was cheering for the Massachusetts guards, of course!

I have to save some $$ and buy some of the early 1980's WGI DVD's and give a second opinion, for sure.

They were a lot like Santa Clara . . . in a lot of ways. Their 1981 show, where they do the spinning of two rifles at different tempos, was performed to "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra." And maybe it was those similarities that I loved so much. Holley didn't do huge tricks. But they had beautiful depth of writing; what you heard in the music was what you saw. And often all three sections -- flags, rifles and sabres -- were layered in their equipment work to create this gorgeous musical texture within the drill. While they placed higher in 1980, I actually prefer their 1981 show.

Did they win in 1980? WGI shows them in second place, with Phantom winning. Going by the placements on WGI's On Demand? page, it looks like they placed no higher than second. Hard to believe Holley never won a WGI championship.

Did they win in 1980? WGI shows them in second place, with Phantom winning. Going by the placements on WGI's On Demand? page, it looks like they placed no higher than second. Hard to believe Holley never won a WGI championship.

Maybe they did - I don't even remember Phantom being at the show on the Cape!!!

(Yeeeesh, it's times like this that make me feel ANCIENT!)

I do remember St. Pat's doing "Mame" that year, and had the toss at the end of the show where everyone tossed the same flag as they exited (or was it a rifle.... Oh no, more dead brain cells!)

Phantom did indeed win on the Cape in 1980. I remember watching them in awe. I also remember my winter guard freaking out as Armagaddon rolled out a casket, complete with a live person inside, for their show.

Gary Stoodley

1980 Loyal Order Winter Guard

1980 Schaumburg Guardsmen Soprano

1981, 1982 Schaumburg winter guard instructor

Cool! Are they going to perform anywhere? And yes, A27Lancer, Guardsmen's toy soldier shows were just amazing. I thought I liked the 1980 version best (with the little girl), but actually, when I reviewed it and the 1981 show on my "On Demand" DVDs, I found I liked the 1981 version better. The 1980 show seemed to be a bit slow getting going because of all the theatrics, but the 1981 show comes out, guns blazing, and never lets up.

No plans as of now to 'revive' the guard, just a friendly Reunion of former members. We had a Corps Reunion the summer of 2005 that was well attended.

They were a lot like Santa Clara . . . in a lot of ways. Their 1981 show, where they do the spinning of two rifles at different tempos, was performed to "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra." And maybe it was those similarities that I loved so much. Holley didn't do huge tricks. But they had beautiful depth of writing; what you heard in the music was what you saw. And often all three sections -- flags, rifles and sabres -- were layered in their equipment work to create this gorgeous musical texture within the drill. While they placed higher in 1980, I actually prefer their 1981 show.

I saw some members of the guard at a symposium run by CDCA in Toronto (late 70's early 80's). They were demostrating various techniques in the guard clinics. Awesome precision.

kel

27th of course...simply because I would definately go into a bar brawl with them on my back...

Thats why one of them (an original trick flag) has had my back since '81.

Thats why one of them (an original trick flag) has had my back since '81.

:doh:

delooze004.jpg

Great picture! Gaite Parisienne, 1978. I think the rifles (NEVER call them the "pom-pom girls")

are Debbie Wedge, Erin (Molly) Joli and Darlene Bonfigio (RIP my dear!)

Edited by A27Lancer