Catholic Drum Corps

The Sancians earned top 25 status (21sth place) in 1975 when "top 25" meant something. (Edging us the Pioneer 22nd, St. Patrick's remnant). St. Francis missed the album by just one spot. (The top 20 corps performance recordings were stamped on 5 albums. It was a big deal to get on one.)

Below are the Sancians' 1975 prelim scores:

http://fromthepressbox.com/19750815div1prelims.htm

In addition to the Sancian (and their feeder corps, The Mariners), St. Fransis also concurrently sponsored girls drill teams, The Sancianettes (and their feeder, the Marinettes).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"... IC Reveries (Immaculate Conception Parish) from Beverly, Mass were seniors who became the 27th Lancers.

A subsequent merger of the church's remaining junior corps, the Danver Reveries, with the Beverly Cardinals (formerly St. Mary's Cardinals) produced North Star..."

It's noteworthy that the two Reveries corps from the one Immaculate Conception parish eventually becamed DCI Finalists: The 27th Lancers and North Star shared top 12 status in 1978, 1979 and 1980.

Lots of Immaculate Conception parish corps from other towns, too. I.C. Woburn (I forget their corps name) and I.C. Stoughton Golden Rays

Ahh, now your going back to the days when drum corps was the real deal.

Back when it was all about the kids on the street who didn't have anything to do,

Catholic schools and legions, took kids off the streets and showed them the way to a better life.

Kids were actually saved from going to reform school and given a chance to learn how to play an instrument.

Taught discipline. Had their lives changed remarkably.

Now you have to have years of musical experience. And the shows are all about impressing judges and THE ALMIGHTY SCORE.

Why has it come to this?

Thanks to the Catholic churches ditching their programs. As well as the legions.

Money is more important than childrens quality of life.

OH DON'T GET ME STARTED!

It really is a sin what has become of drum corps.

Look at what has become of the children in our communities.

No guidance at home. Nor at school.

There are no more Sie Luries out there.Who want to make a difference.

With all due respect, I don't think its nearly as simple as you say. I don't think things were simply "ditched". I also don't think the money is quite as available as you think either for either "some" churchs and/or American Legion Halls.

The dynamics have changed, every thing has changed, kids have changed.

I grew up in Delaware County, PA. I don't think there were any Catholic corps in the area.

I went to Catholic schools and they way I was treated in those institutions, if a Catholic corps was the only option, I would not have participated.

"Catholic Drum Corps":

Speaking from ONLY my expeiences: Going back to the late 1950's and early 1960's: In our local area there were many "Catholic Schools" (Most all of which are long gone) and several "Catholic" drum corps (ALL of which are now "Long Gone"). The experience of going to MY "Catholic School" was not as "Bad" as Marty's, and to this very day I am thankful for it. :devil:

The "Catholic Drum Corps" that I was frotunate to spend three seasons with (Befiore the girls were axed) taught us from "Scratch" , the very basics of marching and playing all the way to complete field performances. The instructors were very poorly paid, had "Day Jobs" and lacked the "Credentials" of todays "Power Elite". However they (And others teaching the several "City Corps") did a MAGNIFICENT JOB taking a bunch of kids off the street and giving them a great "Musical Education".

I could NEVER thank them enough. :thumbup:

Elphaba

"Catholic Drum Corps":

Speaking from ONLY my expeiences: Going back to the late 1950's and early 1960's: In our local area there were many "Catholic Schools" (Most all of which are long gone) and several "Catholic" drum corps (ALL of which are now "Long Gone"). The experience of going to MY "Catholic School" was not as "Bad" as Marty's, and to this very day I am thankful for it. :devil:

The "Catholic Drum Corps" that I was frotunate to spend three seasons with (Befiore the girls were axed) taught us from "Scratch" , the very basics of marching and playing all the way to complete field performances. The instructors were very poorly paid, had "Day Jobs" and lacked the "Credentials" of todays "Power Elite". However they (And others teaching the several "City Corps") did a MAGNIFICENT JOB taking a bunch of kids off the street and giving them a great "Musical Education".

Elphaba

Wow, most Catholics spell better. I swear I'm kiddin :devil:

I've never had a problem with most lay people that are part of any Catholic organization. Most corps BITD had poorly paid, (volunteer) staffs, whether they were associated with a church, VFW, Legion, whatever.

Just in my personal experience, I never met a more arrogant, self important, condescending, snobbish group of people than the parish clergy where I grew up. Again, just my experience and opinion.

"Catholic Drum Corps":

Elphaba

Did you march in St Lucy's Cadets?

Just in my personal experience, I never met a more arrogant, self important, condescending, snobbish group of people than the parish clergy where I grew up. Again, just my experience and opinion.

So much for getting through those Pearly Gates..........

Just kidding Marty, put down the gun.

Edited by gsksun4

So much for getting through those Pearly Gates..........

Just kidding Marty, put down the gun.

Did you say, "Pearly Gates"? Not that I believe in any such thing, but......

Three men died on Christmas Eve and were met by Saint Peter at the pearly gates.

"In honor of this holy season" Saint Peter said, "You must each possess something that symbolizes Christmas to get into heaven."

The first man fumbled through his pockets and pulled out a lighter. He flicked it on. "It represents a candle", he said.

"You may pass through the pearly gates" Saint Peter said.

The second man reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys. He shook them and said, "They're bells."

Saint Peter said "You may pass through the pearly gates".

The third man started searching desperately through his pockets and finally pulled out a pair of women's panties.

St. Peter looked at the man with a raised eyebrow and asked, "And just what do those symbolize?"

The man replied, "These are Carols."

(rim shot!)

The RIDGEMEN from the parish of OUR LADY of PERPETUAL HELP in Brooklyn, New York just celebrated their 95th anniversary.

The OLPH drum corps were a virtual "continent of Atlantis" for the drum corps activity, with it's illustrious alumni going on to contribute greatly to drum corps. Bobby Thompson, George Rodriguez Tom Costa, Les Parks and many,many more who have served as instructors, arrangers, judges and administrators.

The OLPH Ridgemen continue today as an active alumni corps, appearing in local parades and exibitions around the Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and Staten Island, New York area.

Vistit our web site at: www.ridgemen.net which has pictures dating back to 1914. When you do please sign our guest book.

On behalf of us all here at the RIDGEMEN alumni, we wish you well on your vocation and spiritual journey.

Bobby Steinhilber