Crossmen why so up and down in the standings

But there are no "if's" or assumptions when it comes to competition, regardless of history. The bottom line is the Cadets were an above average finalist with a mediocre show. Their past has nothing to do with their placement in 06. (except maybe it was too high) BOT, I'm looking forward to see how the move to Texas plays out for the Xmen over the long haul. It may provide the stability they need, and propel them back into the mix.
Whatever happened to "the person who executes the best wins?"

Bluecoats executed better than the Cadets finals night. Period.

THANK YOU

ouch...i just fell off the chair laughing...im good now really :blink:

Well I don't understand why that was funny, b/c it happened. And according to that night, the Bluecoats beat the Cadets.

Done.

Nope, no arguing. It's done.

Edited by xanhae

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hogwash! They beat the Cadets because they were incredible, plain and simple.

What would have happened if the Cadets had scored on average with their past 25 years, and the Bluecoats likewise? The Cadets had a freakishly low score for them. Likewise, the Bluecoats had a freakishly high score for them. Granted, they are in the midst of an impressive rise in scores, but The Cadets have been consistantly high for a long time. It took an off year by the Cadets for the Bluecoats to pass them up in 2006.

The Cadets

1996 3 96.900

1997 2 97.600

1998 1 98.400

1999 4 96.400

2000 1 97.650

2001 2 97.600

2002 3 96.750

2003 3 97.100

2004 4 95.600

2005 1 99.150

2006 5 93.075

The Bluecoats

1996 7 86.300

1997 11 85.600

1998 10 87.100

1999 13 83.000

2000 12 84.400

2001 8 90.750

2002 7 91.500

2003 7 90.750

2004 6 92.125

2005 5 94.450

2006 4 93.175

THANK YOU

Well I don't understand why that was funny, b/c it happened. And according to that night, the Bluecoats beat the Cadets.

Done.

Nope, no arguing. It's done.

lol, i fell off twice in 10 minutes....

The Cadets

1996 3 96.900

1997 2 97.600

1998 1 98.400

1999 4 96.400

2000 1 97.650

2001 2 97.600

2002 3 96.750

2003 3 97.100

2004 4 95.600

2005 1 99.150

2006 5 93.075

I've never looked at it this way..........but OUCH!!! :sshh:

Edited by LaSqueegee

Then how come Hop has struggle so much over the years keeping his own corps on the field? Cadets have nearly folded on NUMEROUS occasions. Seems as though he should clean his own house, first...

....oh yeah, that's right....making money off of the Crossmen WAS one of his ways of cleaning his own house!

Gotta love how some people have it bass ackwards.

FYI..The Crossmen were big white elephant financially for YEA! The corps was supported at a loss.

True, the Cadets have had their share of financial difficulties over the years, but in 1994-1995, they were in a position to help keep the Crossmen on the Field. By that time YEA! was established, and many of the real financial woes of the mid to late 80's were gone. They never had tons of $$ to throw around, to be sure, but obviously he was able to make a choice that saved Bone's ###..pure and simple.

If you don't like the guy then that is your business, but on this you are just plain wrong.

All due respect to the Crossmen, they've changed horses a few times, and with some disastrous results. Good as their jazz/Latin show was in 82, to go to a purely classical show in 1983 (and, incidentally, without their capes in semis, bye-bye GE) was the heighth of stupidity, and the gear-stripping 180 they made going "Caliente" in 85 was almost as bad. It took them the rest of the decade to make up for it. Thanks goodness they hit a groove with the smooth Metheney-style programs in the 90s.

The '82 to '83 drop off was in large part due to design issues. However, the 1982 Crossmen were a relatively experienced bunch with some bona fide legends who aged out that year (Robbie Robinson and Mark Thurston). The '83 corps was less experienced and, unlike the Cavies now and BD then and now, Crossmen did not have a large pool of near virtuosi from which to pick. Sure, they were talented but the '83 show was a tough sell (spinning snow flakes my A#%) and a more experienced group might have been able to pull it off a little better and exerised the leadership that would help he corps deal with the shako and white shoes issues better.

Edited by Legalhack

One would have thought that, but if you look at both of those years even though the Crossmen were really really good the reason they finished 6th was in large part due to several corps that usually finish higher were having off years. In 1992 both Phantom and SCV were having difficult years. in 1997 it was The Cavaliers.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think both of those years were probably the best years for that corps from a show and performance standpoint, but if any of the corps mentioned above were their normal selves The Crossmen wouldn't have finished 6th.

So the only reason Coats were fourth in 2006 was because the Cadets were having an off year?

Thank you for negating that inane comment..

The '82 to '83 drop off was in large part due to design issues. However, the 1982 Crossmen were a relatively experienced bunch with some bona fide legends who aged out that year (Robbie Robinson and Mark Thurston). The '83 corps was less experienced and, unlike the Cavies now and BD then and now, Crossmen did not have a large pool of near virtuosi from which to pick. Sure, they were talented but the '83 show was a tough sell (spinning snow flakes my A#%) and a more experienced group might have been able to pull it off a little better and exerised the leadership that would help he corps deal with the shako and white shoes issues better.

Gotta go with politics too (Shoot me if you want) I believe that show should have been in finals.

~G~

lol, i fell off twice in 10 minutes....

Off-topic, maybe, but, it seems you find the fact that, on finals night, the Bluecoats performed better/scored higher than The Cadets in the captions of brass performance, percussion, and overall score "funny".

In fact you "fell off" your chair laughing, twice, in 10 minutes :blink: , so maybe you would care to englighten us so that we may all see the humor in this?

Yes The Cadets outperformed the Bluecoats in all visual captions and one GE caption on finals, and questionably had a harder brass book, but it does not take away from the fact that they were outperformed musically. On finals night of course.

-------------

username outdated, marched div 1 06