Crossmen why so up and down in the standings

I think too many style changes, uniform changes, not enough consistency. When those uniforms were unvelied in 1990, they wre amon the best in the activity, and the shows that followed were alos, a wrong "turn" in 1995 ( I loved that show though) and they canged the uniform ?? It was still fresh.....

~G~

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really have to look at the history of management turnover, staff turnover, financial difficulties, moving to new locations, infighting etc etc etc. Crossmen have had one of the bumpiest rides of most corps that are in or around the top 12 over the past 25 years. I'm not going into any details because this post would end up being 5 pages long... but I would suggest you look in to some of those things if you want an idea as to why things have went up and down so much.

In all reality, the Crossmen should have folded for good several times..1986 comes to mind, as does 1994. In both of these years, extraordinary efoorst by dedicated groups of people..George Hopkins (gasp!) included..have made thier survival possible.

Remember..they say "when all else is gone, only the Bones remain" I swear, if their is a nuclear holocaust, two things will survive..cockroaches and the Crossmen. :blink:

It should also be pointed out that despite all the changes, despite all the uniforms, despite all the directors, despite all the times the corps could have (and probably should have) folded, and despite their recent competitive struggles, there are still only six drum corps on the face of the planet who have made DCI Finals more times than the Crossmen. Yeah, there have been ups and downs, but that's still pretty impressive, and demonstrates a certain level of consistency in and of itself.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the new team in Texas can accomplish with the corps in the future.

One would have thought that, but if you look at both of those years even though the Crossmen were really really good the reason they finished 6th was in large part due to several corps that usually finish higher were having off years. In 1992 both Phantom and SCV were having difficult years. in 1997 it was The Cavaliers.

There is a whole different way of looking at it for some people that is the opposite of your thought. Some people (like me) believe that 92 was not an off year for Phantom and SCV and instead they placed low because everyone else was so good. I tend to take that view point myself because if you really take a good look at 92, it was one of the best Finals nights DCI has ever had.

In all reality, the Crossmen should have folded for good several times..1986 comes to mind, as does 1994. In both of these years, extraordinary efoorst by dedicated groups of people..George Hopkins (gasp!) included..have made thier survival possible.

Then how come Hop has struggle so much over the years keeping his own corps on the field? Cadets have nearly folded on NUMEROUS occasions. Seems as though he should clean his own house, first...

....oh yeah, that's right....making money off of the Crossmen WAS one of his ways of cleaning his own house!

Gotta love how some people have it bass ackwards.

Then how come Hop has struggle so much over the years keeping his own corps on the field? Cadets have nearly folded on NUMEROUS occasions. Seems as though he should clean his own house, first...

....oh yeah, that's right....making money off of the Crossmen WAS one of his ways of cleaning his own house!

What? No.

Thats dumb, don't say things if you dont know what your talking about. YEA!, whether you like it or not, kept the Crossmen from folding.

Here comes the redheaded stepchild argument <**> <**> <**>

Whatever happened to "the person who executes the best wins?"

Bluecoats executed better than the Cadets finals night. Period.

ouch...i just fell off the chair laughing...im good now really :blink: