Crossmen why so up and down in the standings

I was just cruising through Cropsrep and noticed the Crossmen have been all over the map as far as standings go. From a high of 6th 92/97 to a low of 21st 86. Is there any great reason for this. I figured a 6th place finish would bring in better players and the vets would stick around more. I think they have been up and down more then anyone else.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just cruising through Cropsrep and noticed the Crossmen have been all over the map as far as standings go. From a high of 6th 92/97 to a low of 21st 86. Is there any great reason for this. I figured a 6th place finish would bring in better players and the vets would stick around more. I think they have been up and down more then anyone else.

One would have thought that, but if you look at both of those years even though the Crossmen were really really good the reason they finished 6th was in large part due to several corps that usually finish higher were having off years. In 1992 both Phantom and SCV were having difficult years. in 1997 it was The Cavaliers.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think both of those years were probably the best years for that corps from a show and performance standpoint, but if any of the corps mentioned above were their normal selves The Crossmen wouldn't have finished 6th.

So the only reason Coats were fourth in 2006 was because the Cadets were having an off year?

Edited by Bones758

You really have to look at the history of management turnover, staff turnover, financial difficulties, moving to new locations, infighting etc etc etc. Crossmen have had one of the bumpiest rides of most corps that are in or around the top 12 over the past 25 years. I'm not going into any details because this post would end up being 5 pages long... but I would suggest you look in to some of those things if you want an idea as to why things have went up and down so much.

So the only reason Coats were fourth in 2006 was because the Cadets were having an off year?

Well sure. If The Cadets were not having an off year, they would have beaten the Bluecoats. The Cadet's have not scored as low as they did in 2006 since 1981! The Bluecoats have only broken 94 once in their existence, in 2005. This isn't a slam against the Bluecoats, just the facts.

If you follow the history of the Xmen, you will see that it has been a bumpy road at times. It seems they were forever reorganizing, changing directors, home bases, ect. It is hard to keep a consistent finish with all that constant change. I think it says something for the folks involved that come what may, at least they hit the field despite the hardships. Lesser groups would have long ago packed it up.

Let's hope this latest move will find them in fertile, and stable ground so that they may prosper.

Well sure. If The Cadets were not having an off year, they would have beaten the Bluecoats. The Cadet's have not scored as low as they did in 2006 since 1981! The Bluecoats have only broken 94 once in their existence, in 2005. This isn't a slam against the Bluecoats, just the facts.

But there are no "if's" or assumptions when it comes to competition, regardless of history. The bottom line is the Cadets were an above average finalist with a mediocre show. Their past has nothing to do with their placement in 06. (except maybe it was too high) BOT, I'm looking forward to see how the move to Texas plays out for the Xmen over the long haul. It may provide the stability they need, and propel them back into the mix.

Whatever happened to "the person who executes the best wins?"

Bluecoats executed better than the Cadets finals night. Period.

All due respect to the Crossmen, they've changed horses a few times, and with some disastrous results. Good as their jazz/Latin show was in 82, to go to a purely classical show in 1983 (and, incidentally, without their capes in semis, bye-bye GE) was the heighth of stupidity, and the gear-stripping 180 they made going "Caliente" in 85 was almost as bad. It took them the rest of the decade to make up for it. Thanks goodness they hit a groove with the smooth Metheney-style programs in the 90s.