The fields of summer are waiting

It’s out there waiting for you …

the banner hung across the tunnel which says: “Welcome to the World’s Greatest Performers” …

the crowd turned to watch your slow march into the stadium …

the calls of encouragement from your fans and your proud family …

the call to readiness ...

the last hushed moment before you play or dance …

the field which you will own for 11 minutes next summer.

Will you be there?

Will you take that step?

Will you finish what you have started?

It’s that time of year when your arms ache, your back aches, your lips ache, your wrists ache and summer seems such a long aching road away. Maybe you are new to drum corps, maybe you are coming back for more, maybe you are at camp tonight, maybe you are practicing alone, maybe you are thinking, “this is hard.”

It is hard. You knew it would not be easy.

Last November after I quoted from a private message from someone who marched last summer, she wrote to me again. Apparently she was thinking of not marching this year but when I posted it encouraged her to reconsider.

This is an excerpt of what she wrote … (maybe she is standing next to you in camp):

“Last year on tour I was in immense pain but I just pushed through. During the off season I wondered how I ever survived the long practice days because it took such a toll on my body ... And I remember when this started and with urgency I asked my doctor "I can still march, right?" And he replied that I probably wasn't going to get any worse or better. But those words staring right up at me caused something to click.

Performing. The answer seems so simple. My wrist would be throbbing before a show, but once the announcer called us on the field, I no longer felt it. Performing is the greatest painkiller in the world for me. Possibly because the pain is a personal problem and once I was on the field it was time to set aside personal problems and focus on the good of the corps. Reading that was all the reminder I needed.”

Performing ...

This summer....

On that field you are going to own

Go for it!

You can do this.

May these words in some way encourage you to get through whatever doubts you may be having and get yourself onto that field.

May I see you on that field come summer.

Best Wishes ….

Edited by oldguard

Brilliant post sir!

After 25 years away from competing, I'm back in the ranks with DCA - just had camp this weekend. Yes I'm tired and yes my back was aching, and yes sometimes I wonder if I can do it. Your words are inspiring to me at my age (52) - I hope they reach all the DCI age folks out there on the same level.

Cheers and thanks

Jim

Brilliant post sir!

After 25 years away from competing, I'm back in the ranks with DCA - just had camp this weekend. Yes I'm tired and yes my back was aching, and yes sometimes I wonder if I can do it. Your words are inspiring to me at my age (52) - I hope they reach all the DCI age folks out there on the same level.

Cheers and thanks

Jim

Hey Jimbo, I didn't realize that YOU were THAT OLD !!! :P :laugh: :sshh:

May your knees raise high and the fly on your pants never come open on the field !! :huh::doh::doh::bleah:

Good luck OLDER GEEZER !!! :P

May your knees raise high and the fly on your pants never come open on the field !! :huh::doh::doh::bleah:

Well thanks - I think..... :P

Well thanks - I think..... :P

I hope to be in the crowd in Rochester this year, what corps are you with ? :doh::doh:

I can just hear it now "On the line from Parts Unkown, "THE OLD GEEZER HAS BEENS" ?? b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

It was meant as a good luck wish my friend !! :P

Have fun ! :doh:

The good thing is that I won't be missing Dutch Boy's home show as it's mid-week. GO DUTCH!!!!!

Brilliant post sir!

Cheers and thanks

Jim

Thanks for the kind words.

So I will be seeing you on the field this summer ...

(Is this what they mean by older but no wiser? ) ...

I wouldn't miss the Rochester DCA show ... it's all good drum corps.

Truthfully, I applaud you and admire you for your decision to march again ...

at the end of which you will, undoubtedly, be fitter, tanner, stronger ... yes, and wiser ...

Good luck with another one of those great summers of your life. :)