Band Director needs Help!

Hi Everyone,

I am at work and my school blocks me from posting this on Marching Band Planet (but I can visit Drum Corps Planet, go figure). I need a score that is out of print. I wrote the publisher and have not received a reply. I wrote to all of the other directors in my district, and recieved one email back. If ANYONE has a score, original or copy, to The US Field Artillery March by JP Sousa, Arr. by ML Lake, would you please let me borrow it for our festival that is coming up at the beginning of March? I will reimburse you for shipping and you will get it back.

Please ask around if you think you know someone that might have it.

Thanks,

Shane Ainsworth

We just played it in my Wind Ensemble... i think it might have been arranged by Keith Bryon... contact my director... soelbergd@byui.edu

We just played it in my Wind Ensemble... i think it might have been arranged by Keith Bryon... contact my director... soelbergd@byui.edu

When I was in high school our band director borrowed pieces from other school bands at times when he couldn't find what he was looking for (or for sight reading exercises). You might want to network with other band directors in your area to know what each other have in case of situations like this.

Keith Brion's focus is arranging music in Sousa's original style for the New Sousa Band, which he conducts. He has done an arrangment of this piece and it is published through Southern Music Co. in San Antonio. The Valparaiso Community Band (Indiana) does an annual Sousa concert with Keith Brion as guest conductor. Jeff Doebler, director of bands at Valparaiso University, is the band's conductor. I don't remember if this is a piece we have done (I'm a member), but Jeff could tell you or help you track down the music. If you're interested in playing the piece in the traditional Sousa style (which is different than what most bands perform), he can also offer insight. You might also check out the web site for the New Sousa Band for a list of Sousa arrangements. Good luck. (PS, my son marched Pioneer for 3 years on sop)

Southern Music Co. (San Antonio Tx) has the Brion edition in their New Sousa Band Editions.

I did that march with my band several years ago...I happened to find it lurking in an older file with a whole bunch of other chestnuts that a previous director (i.e.; idiot :grouphug: ) hid away. It is in Ab with the trio in Db...but man, this thing can COOK!

Have fun with it!