The Death of DCI

I agree as long as it doesn't include amps, amplified vocals, woodwinds or nudity.

Ohhhhhh, c'mon, no nudity??? :ph34r:

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(The word you is the plural, as in "the people of today's groups".)

Just like most who are so in love with the "Brass Band Field Theater" of today. There is absolutely Nothing wrong with what is being done today. The problem is you have been told/taught that it is "Drum and Bugle Corps". Which it is not!

What you have today is Brass and Percussion Band people playing Brass and Percussion Band Instruments. You no longer use Bugles.

You no longer have a "Color Guard" You do not have any "Colors to Guard". You have a Visual Dance Ensemble.

Then add all the Props, and stage sets. Then add the Amps and sound boards. Now add Singing, both and as an Ensemble and Soloists. Then lets not leave out Narrators and such. Even the Drill is not the Military "Corps" type of marching.

Soon you will have Electronics. With the sounds of almost anything added.

So you have Invented something New. It has "Evolved" as they say. It has combined many different things into what is done by the DCI groups. I happen to call it "Brass Band Field Theater" Just my term, but, one that seems to fit.

That does not make what is done as Bad, Evil, or un-worthy. The opposite it true. They Quality is beyond belief. The Talent of the of the Highest level. Entertaining for sure. The Passion and love shows to all. Well deserving of Praise!

So is it not time to "Evolve" into a new term/name for what is done. Just as a "CD" is not a "Record". Move on. Put "Drum and Bugle Corps" behind you. It is a "PART" of your past. I honestly believe that if you do change the term to something else it will put an end to all these problem discussions. We will ALL be happier for that.

I agree, why do they continue to ride the wave of drum and bugle corps? Call it something else and move on to that activity, don't try to kill ours.

Edited by AnaheimAlumni

Interesting point. Having marched tenors in high school but obviously never timpani or a marimba, I can only go off what I've gathered. From what I can tell, the weight is possible comparable, the difference is the carriers really. And tenors have been becoming lighter and lighter as more composite materials are used. Again, just from what I can gather from those that marched the instruments and I never would have.

Duder,

You will be pleasantly suprised in Pasadena this summer if are allowed to watch. :)

Edited by AnaheimAlumni

I'm with you on this DrumCorpsFan27.

IMO it seems to many corps are using too much 'original' material, when familiar tunes are down they are so over arranged we can't recognize them, theres been to much amped vocals and picnic tables. This past year the last day of DCI East, the loudest the stadium was for the Bridgeman Alumni Corps. They didn't have crazy drill, amps, doors, or singing. They played music we all (mostly) knew. They played for themselves, each other, and of course the audience. You bet they ROCKED the HOUSE! The energy coming off the field as well as the sound was awesome (I'm a Bb/F person but WOW, Bridgeman played the Kantsul G 'bugles' phenominally(sp?) ). For me it feels that alot of todays corps are very sterile, unemotional. Don't get me wrong I love the kids for all the hard work and dedication they put in to the activity, it feels the shows don't connect to the audience anymore. When I go to a show I do give avery corps a standing ovation, but it's not b/c the show inspired me to get me off my butt, it's the appreciation and admiration for the hard work and dedication the members put into the show all summer long.

I would love to be able to stand up and cheer for both!

Very well put! Thank you.

Duder,

You will be pleasantly in Pasadena this summer suprised if get are allowed to watch. :)

Don't get me wrong, Larry. Being a member of a DCA corps as well, I understand the older version of the activity and what I'll hopefully get to hear from you guys in Pasadena. HOWEVER, while impressed by simple size and power, that doesn't mean it would translate well to the current activity. It'll be fun and a great change of pace and GREAT to see members of an old corps back together again, even if for just one performance. And I'll gladly cheer it on, because I respect it. Even if I'm not really a fan of your music choices, uniforms, or any other thing that is truly petty in the end, I respect the basis for what it is you guys are doing. I'm becoming a broken record and even sick of hearing myself, but why should this be any different for the current members? Even if you don't like it really, why can't it still be a mutual respect for what it is we do and what it is you do? Not to say you're not being respectful, but we're approaching the activity from two different stand points.

Random analogy, see if this makes any sense. It's like Harlem Globetrotter basketball and an NBA game. People go to both to be entertained essentially. Is one better than the other? I know which I prefer. Does it make the other any worse? Not at all. I love the competitive nature of an NBA game versus the cartoon like nature of a globetrotter outing. Doesn't mean the Globetrotters aren't good. And man, they laid some history to get some of the NBA players doing things they do in games. Ya know? People attend both, and some enjoy one more than the other, but I'm willing to bet almost all, especially the players involved, at the very least respect the other and wouldn't go around talking bad about it.

Don't get me wrong, Larry. Being a member of a DCA corps as well, I understand the older version of the activity and what I'll hopefully get to hear from you guys in Pasadena. HOWEVER, while impressed by simple size and power, that doesn't mean it would translate well to the current activity. It'll be fun and a great change of pace and GREAT to see members of an old corps back together again, even if for just one performance. And I'll gladly cheer it on, because I respect it. Even if I'm not really a fan of your music choices, uniforms, or any other thing that is truly petty in the end, I respect the basis for what it is you guys are doing. I'm becoming a broken record and even sick of hearing myself, but why should this be any different for the current members? Even if you don't like it really, why can't it still be a mutual respect for what it is we do and what it is you do? Not to say you're not being respectful, but we're approaching the activity from two different stand points.

Random analogy, see if this makes any sense. It's like Harlem Globetrotter basketball and an NBA game. People go to both to be entertained essentially. Is one better than the other? I know which I prefer. Does it make the other any worse? Not at all. I love the competitive nature of an NBA game versus the cartoon like nature of a globetrotter outing. Doesn't mean the Globetrotters aren't good. And man, they laid some history to get some of the NBA players doing things they do in games. Ya know? People attend both, and some enjoy one more than the other, but I'm willing to bet almost all, especially the players involved, at the very least respect the other and wouldn't go around talking bad about it.

I was refering to Tympanis. But as far as the entire corps and production, the redirection of DCI is not why we will be there. We will be bringing more than size and power to the party. I'm pretty sure we are going to entertain the crowd and have lots of nostalgic tears flowing in the stands.

And I have no doubt you guys will be entertaining. But you seem to either be missing my point or ignoring it. That you guys will be entertaining and most will enjoy it but some will choose THEN as a good time for their bathroom/hot dog break. Other folks will choose the Blue Knights or Cadets or whoever as their time for, "No thanks". Some folks which when I was a fan was honestly me except for one instance, will sit through it ALL because I'm totally enthralled by all aspects of it, even if there are parts or even whole shows that I really can't get in to. It's the activity I'm crazy about. The point is a MUTUAL respect which I do not feel a lot of older drum corps members currently give to the younger generation as they feel what we do is not drum corps, or at the very least their version of it. And I'm not singling out Anaheim Alum or anyone and do realize there are LOTS of people that do support corps spanning many generations including current. But I am talking about on this forum and even more unfortunately in public sometimes, the amount of people that feel it's okay to be disrespectful to current members and OUR activity because they don't like or agree with it.

So yes, I'm pretty sure you guys are going to entertain the crowd. And there's going to be some people that just don't care or know why a bunch of older people are wasting their time when all they want is scores or the show to start depending how the alumni are used at finals. But the minute I was to utter a bad word about what you guys do, I'd suddenly be considered a dumb "kid" who doesn't understand the activity. It's a mutual respect thing for me. I've somehow made it my mission on here. Respect what we do, because we respect what you do. And DCI respects what you guys do/did or else you wouldn't be performing with some of the best young musicians in the world during finals week. AND THAT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IS WHY DCI IS NOT DYING OR DEAD. It knows where it came from and understands it. It's not afraid to acknowldege the past with a great deal of respect and let them still perform during the culmination of another great summer of drum corps with what is the current generation of drum corps members. It's a mutual respect thing. Whether or not it's something we enjoy, is it not at least something we can respect and at the very least do what our mothers taught us and "If we don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? I know given the chance I would shake every member of the kingsmen alumni's hands for coming out and doing what they used to love and reminding everyone of where the activity once was. And I'd like to think that given the chance the alumni would shake every current member's hand and thank them for keeping alive an activity they clearly still love, even if it is a little different. It's a mutual respect folks.

PS. After posting and then reading what I wrote, which is silly by the way... Did I mention mutual respect? :P

Edited by Iplaytimpani

I was refering to Tympanis. But as far as the entire corps and production, the redirection of DCI is not why we will be there. We will be bringing more than size and power to the party. I'm pretty sure we are going to entertain the crowd and have lots of nostalgic tears flowing in the stands.

One more thing. Just an FYI but timpani is the plural form of the word. Timpano would be one drum from a set of timpani.

I see where you're trying to go with this analogy but it just doesn't hold water for me. Let me try an analogy of my own. Let's say your a big fan of the NBA. Now there have been changes to the game throughout the years to be sure (3 point line, shot clock etc.) but the nature of the game has pretty much stayed the same. Next year the powers that be decide that in an effort to assist in dunking ability trampolines will be added to the court (I forget what they called that thing on tv a few years back where essentially the entire court was a trampoline, you see how long that lasted). Would you still be as big a fan of the NBA and the game you fell in love with at that point? When DCI allowed the amplification of ANYTHING that's exactly the point for me when the changes made went beyond the scope of "minor" and in fact drastically changed the nature of the activity, for the very first time in the history of Drum Corps you could no longer consider it acoustic. I recall reading in another post someone felt that by todays standards some of the current generation might find stuff from the 70's and 80's "silly". To be honest anytime I've heard amplified singing/narration in a show the word "silly" doesn't even do justice to the feeling I get. Does it matter what I think? Only to me and that's why I've chosen to basically "abandon" DCI after 28 years. Please don't confuse my decision as a form of disrespect to the current generation of performers, If today's DCI floats your boat more power to you, I just will never understand why they felt the need to make just drastic changes. Evolution? No, that's what you saw from the beginning of the activity up until 2004. Now it's a whole new ballgame.