Winterguard poll

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped attending WGI shows when the shows got to weird and abstract for me to enjoy. When you start throwing paint, breaking stuff, being slapped with a fish, or bring more junk on the floor than you have members, then its just too weird. Plus, I found myself enjoy one or two guards out of fifty. Most all guards started looking alike(technique wise) and it made it not so interesting.

I liked WGI when you brought your show to the floor, and the judges judged it. I do not like it when you have to meet some judging "criteria" in order to be scored fairly. I think WGI has gotten to the point that it relies to heavily on themes, just like DCI does. The more junk you can pull out on the floor, the better off you are(at least it seems that way) In many cases I think all of the junk hides poor technique.

I've had many chances to attend shows around here and don't because of many of the things you've mentioned.

I love your last sentence by the way......

We talking about jaw dropping in another thread, the last show I went to not many jaws were dropping.

I've had many chances to attend shows around here and don't because of many of the things you've mentioned.

I love your last sentence by the way......

We talking about jaw dropping in another thread, the last show I went to not many jaws were dropping.

Wow, when was the last time both of you saw a guard show? It's been YEARS since lots of props were used. As far as your "being judged by a certain criteria" statement, how else should they be judged, by fan reaction? If that's the case then why even have judges or a competition at all?

If your jaws weren't dropping - you must be going to shows in the wrong circuit because where I'm from the guards' skills are very complex! They do so much today it is unbelievable! Give today's kids the credit they deserve! Double fast while doing high mark time doesn't quite cut it anymore!!

I've never actually seen a show (guard or drumline) as an audience member, but from "marching" (pit) with a drumline this winter, it seems pretty cool.

It kind of changed my whole opinion on electronics because even if I practiced 9 hours a day, I wouldn't even have been close to making the cut. Where as since they are using a synth I'm in something I could have never been able to do.

whoops...left out a key word haha...

Edited by nothingbetter

Wow, when was the last time both of you saw a guard show? It's been YEARS since lots of props were used. As far as your "being judged by a certain criteria" statement, how else should they be judged, by fan reaction? If that's the case then why even have judges or a competition at all?

If your jaws weren't dropping - you must be going to shows in the wrong circuit because where I'm from the guards' skills are very complex! They do so much today it is unbelievable! Give today's kids the credit they deserve! Double fast while doing high mark time doesn't quite cut it anymore!!

I agree! The activity (both drumline and guard) has really moved away from having tons of props.

I think WGI has gotten to the point that it relies to heavily on themes, just like DCI does. The more junk you can pull out on the floor, the better off you are(at least it seems that way) In many cases I think all of the junk hides poor technique.

I'm the last person to question a guard person on a guard topic, but when was the last time you actually watched a show? Props have been greatly downsized in both percussion and guard, and not just in WGI... smaller circuits have seen decreases too.

~>conner

I stopped attending WGI shows when the shows got to weird and abstract for me to enjoy. When you start throwing paint, breaking stuff, being slapped with a fish, or bring more junk on the floor than you have members, then its just too weird. Plus, I found myself enjoy one or two guards out of fifty. Most all guards started looking alike(technique wise) and it made it not so interesting.

I liked WGI when you brought your show to the floor, and the judges judged it. I do not like it when you have to meet some judging "criteria" in order to be scored fairly. I think WGI has gotten to the point that it relies to heavily on themes, just like DCI does. The more junk you can pull out on the floor, the better off you are(at least it seems that way) In many cases I think all of the junk hides poor technique.

It has been awhile for you. These things that you are referring to all took place around 10 years ago. And what was wrong with any of that to begin with. How else would you do a Jackson Pollack show with out throwing paint around? And obviously the fish moment was something you remember, so the idea worked at imprinting that show in your head.

As for themes, almost all artistic efforts have them. It is the result of the artist usually trying to express and idea of mood to the receiver. Not many people would want to see, hear, or feel things that are just a bunch of random events. Name a movie, song, painting that is does not have some sort of theme behind it.

"Name a movie, song, painting that is does not have some sort of theme behind it."-- TGC

... or drum corps show, for that matter.

Edited by toph34