Ultimate shows

I'm not sure of the source of the Sunriser's "Domino," but in 1963 I believe it was long before Van Morrison's tune and was already an 'older' song. (Heck, it may even have preceded Van himself! Is he older than 44?)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure of the source of the Sunriser's "Domino," but in 1963 I believe it was long before Van Morrison's tune and was already an 'older' song. (Heck, it may even have preceded Van himself! Is he older than 44?)

John,

Corps Reps shows nothing of a Domino for the Sunrisers in the early to mid sixty's. Van Morrison or not. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't played. As far as Van Morrison goes, he's probably near or in his 60's. They do have a Mama Inez listed in 64 though. Not a big deal here, I've just always wondered what the name of that short piece out of concert was. I'm just guessing it was MI.

Maybe there's another Domino I haven't heard also.

Just out of curiosity I decided to dig out the old Fleetwood vinyls of Sun at Carnegie Hall in '63 and '64 for a listen. "Mama Inez" is the short piece going into concert in '64, while "Domino" was the number coming out of the "Sing, Sing, Sing" concert in '63 (which, despite what the album liner notes say, they did not play that night!)

By the way, I recall now that "Domino" was from some musical, but I couldn't tell you which one offhand. I remember my mother or older sister even knew the lyrics to it, and I still remember some of them. Amazing what we can recall 40+ years later. I can still hear them singing along with the Sunriser recording! Here's what I remember of them:

"Domino, Domino! You're an angel that Heaven has sent me.

Domino, Domino! You're a devil designed to torment me!"

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure! I am officially sick! LOL

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure! I am officially sick! LOL

Not at all John. In fact, I believe you are right. It is going into concert.

Thanks for the clarification on that. Those were the days, and some fine ear opening music to say the least.