DCA / All-Age (any division)

NanciD

I'd say it's about time to get back on topic. That having been said, by definition, the following corps were underdogs in 2006:

Empire Statesmen

Bushwackers

Caballeros

Minnesota Brass

Brigadiers

Renegades

Hurricanes

CorpsVets

Carolina Gold

Kilties

Crusaders

Music City Legend

Frontier

Skyliners

Sunrisers

Govenaires

White Sabers

SoCal Dream

Chops, Inc

Lakeshoremen

Alliance

Gulf Coast Sound

--------------------------------------------------------

un·der·dog

Pronunciation[uhn-der-dawg, -dog]

–noun

1. a person who is expected to lose in a contest or conflict.

2. a victim of social or political injustice.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's about time to get back on topic. That having been said, by definition, the following corps were underdogs in 2006:

Empire Statesmen

Bushwackers

Caballeros

Minnesota Brass

Brigadiers

Renegades

Hurricanes

CorpsVets

Carolina Gold

Kilties

Crusaders

Music City Legend

Frontier

Skyliners

Sunrisers

Govenaires

White Sabers

SoCal Dream

Chops, Inc

Lakeshoremen

Alliance

Gulf Coast Sound

--------------------------------------------------------

un·der·dog

Pronunciation[uhn-der-dawg, -dog]

–noun

1. a person who is expected to lose in a contest or conflict.

2. a victim of social or political injustice.

Some just more than others!

From now on No Corps outside the North east can start Drill or play out doors(other that at a Parade) till April or May.

Indoor field house, at least that's what the Kilties use to start drill in March. Not that starting your drill earlier does much good when you spend 2/3rds of your seasons time allocation on the road travelling.

And to counter, for us southerners, it's 109F plus 85% humidity in May, June, July, August, (not to mention stage 1+ smog alerts, hurricanes, .....). Although that does have some advantages when we hit 65F at the championships.

As far as the underdogs being the entire 2006 field corps, I'd have to agree. And yes, some more so than others. At least when it comes to the recorded media, or lack there of.

As far as recruiting with so many corps close together, ya'all have higher population densities. Not to mention higher average incomes. (although higher taxes too). It's one thing to pull 100 fanatics out of 5,000,000. But doing that out of a city of 200,000 is lot more difficult. Especially with no previous drum corps presence / history / knowledge. Just my opinion.

I'm not advocating moving the competition to Kansas, although that would be nicer, but still over 500 miles away. I'm just saying moving it from PA to NY, and I guess Maine in a couple years, isn't exactly a "better" option for some of us who don't live in/near that region.

Indoor field house, at least that's what the Kilties use to start drill in March. Not that starting your drill earlier does much good when you spend 2/3rds of your seasons time allocation on the road travelling.

And to counter, for us southerners, it's 109F plus 85% humidity in May, June, July, August, (not to mention stage 1+ smog alerts, hurricanes, .....). Although that does have some advantages when we hit 65F at the championships.

As far as the underdogs being the entire 2006 field corps, I'd have to agree. And yes, some more so than others. At least when it comes to the recorded media, or lack there of.

As far as recruiting with so many corps close together, ya'all have higher population densities. Not to mention higher average incomes. (although higher taxes too). It's one thing to pull 100 fanatics out of 5,000,000. But doing that out of a city of 200,000 is lot more difficult. Especially with no previous drum corps presence / history / knowledge. Just my opinion.

I'm not advocating moving the competition to Kansas, although that would be nicer, but still over 500 miles away. I'm just saying moving it from PA to NY, and I guess Maine in a couple years, isn't exactly a "better" option for some of us who don't live in/near that region.

My favorite underdog corps were in 1986: Bush and MBI. As a former finalist member of DCA,it was the right time to inject some new "blood". In the years since, both corps have made strides, Bush winning in 1990 and 1991 and MBI being a top five corps for years.

Shadow7: What point are you trying to get across ?

It's another attempt to make all us folks that live here in "Drum Corps Mesopotamia" seem like the devil.

86 Bushwackers

If anyone was going to come out of nowhere and do what they did, we were glad (after some years of mental torment and recovery) it was them.

Speak for yourself, John. Steel was the underdog taking it to the others all year. It should have been US!

It's another attempt to make all us folks that live here in "Drum Corps Mesopotamia" seem like the devil.

You guys must be the "Great Satan".

I guess people in the south think that Northeast is cold all summer? Because of the Great Lakes it can get extremely hot, humid, heavy, sticky, and down right nasty, especially if a rainfall just happened and the sun comes out, thunderstorms, etc...

Some of the hottest show weekends I've ever experienced have been in the Northeast area.

Cumberland - 1999

Syracuse - 2000 (the Friday before finals)

Erie - 2005

Endicott - 1997

Brockville Ontario - 2005 in June

Also, do you honestly believe all Northeastern corps have the funds to rent indoor fields? I know maybe only 2 or 3 that could afford that every second weekend every single season.

The corps I was in was rehearsing on an ashphalt drill square on an army base IN THE SNOW! That was in 1997 in April. We lined the drill square, got ready to hit field and it started snowing like crazy. You can't really learn drill properly in a snowy mess in April.

There have been times where you couldn't make it to the field in May due to bad weather or old man winter hanging around for far too long. If we aren't able to get out until May, other corps get out in March that is a two month advantage for the other corps. There is no denying that whatsoever.

Either way it all cancels itself out.

Just remember folks, wear your tinfoil hats, because "the powers that be" are out to get all of us.

OMG THEY ARE AFTER YOU! EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET THE RENEGADES. YOU BETTER PUT ON THE TIN FOIL HATS!!!

What a joke...

There are no "powers at be" so get over it. You didn't have a product good enough for champion status. That's as far as it goes.

Wow. What's this "you" stuff? Guess any supporters we have automatically get lumped in with "us", and their opinions are automatically assumed to be......er, our party line or something???

I took off my tin foil hat a LONG time ago dude.............I'd have to say YOUR publicly stated opinions sir, are at LEAST as misguided and offensive as anyone who says "DCA screws them every year, etc"

Probably more so...........do you go around telling EVERY corps/corps member that didn't win DCA any given year that "you didn't have a product good enough for champion status. That's as far as it goes."????

I realize that in our growing pains, we have in the past (as have our fans and supporters) perhaps represented ourselves with too loose a tongue at times (and I am as guilty as anyone on this point) giving wide berth for opinions such as yours to be formed, but we've learned, grown, and are in no danger of leaving anytime soon, you can be sure of that.

You wanna get on ME for having had a big mouth at times on DCP?? Be my guest, I'm sure I've got it coming on some level. But don't you dare put down and negatively characterize my hard working corps mates 85-90% of which are barely aware that DCP exists and have never read or posted here. You only portray the Grenadiers in a bad light when you do that, and as you've been more than willing to let a small handful of people form your negative opinion of my corps, you'd be naive to think that people who read YOUR words would think any different of YOUR corps. Which is a shame, as I've found all Grennies members that I've met/talked to to be friendly, positive and welcoming.............well, all except YOU.

You've taken cheap shots like this at us for years. You're not REALLY this childish in real life, are you? I certainly hope not.