Food for thought article on DCI.org

At least Patton could have sic'd his dog Willie on him...or maybe not...Willie was a wuss... :bleah:

Heh ... My grandfather (still living) was a captain in Patton's Third Army. Not long after I read the February camp report from Regiment--detailing the -25 degree temps-- I asked him how cold it was when they marched (three days straight) into Bastogne, and he said -10.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A note from a staff member of Norfolk State University, one of the performing bands at the Honda Battle of the Bands. He provides some insight to how the HBCU bands construct their shows which is of interest. He had written me about the article on DCI.org and I mentioned he might wish to take a peek at this thread.

<<Mr. Boo,

The Spartan Legion has had a long history of musical excellence. The program takes advantage of skills and fundamentals crafted during concert band season and then transfer them onto the field. We also has an unprecedented (HBCU standards) approach to arrangement/drill design. The director of bands Dr ONeill Sanford and the Chief Arranger Paul I Adams work together to ensure the drill compliments the music that has been written. Paul will usually write the music, and the Dr. Sanford will chart the drill to the music. Most HBCU’s try to force fit their music to a drill that’s been pre-determined.

In addition to the above, the staff spends most attention on getting the students to be aware of proper breathing, horn placement and listening to each other as the band plays. Paul Adams is an accomplished arranger/composer and spends countless hours working with the band on the intricate portions of the music. We also have a contingent of student arrangers/drill writers that stay under the wings of the staff members and they assist in making minor adjustments as the drill is learned. All of the above translate into a performance that concentrates on displaying the musical prowess of the band while performing an entertaining drill.

As you may have caught on at the BOTB…HBCU Showstyle Bands follow a format that is not mandatory but for the most part is accepted by each.

Opening Fanfare: This tune introduces the band and give the crowd a taste of what they are about to witness. Paul Adams will usually write the most difficult parts to “show off” the bands musical muscle.

Drill: Bands will play an up-tempo tune to perform pattern-in-motion drills most of which do not pay attention to bell fronts. NSU just happens to be the exception as we design are drills to be linear in concept therefore allowing the bell front to face in one direction at all times.

Concert Feature: Bands usually stand still at this point and become a backdrop as the flagline is featured. Usually they are a of a slower tempo and also shows the dynamic range of the band

Dance Girl Feature: Again the band stands still and performs as a “musical track” to the dance teams routine

Dance Routine: This is the part where the band gets the crowd involved. The band usually moves from concert formation to a block formation

Exit Tune: Again…this is the bands final chance to show off its musical prowess by playing a powerful tune as they leave the field. The volume level usually jumps at this point, and most bands loose their intonation. The staff at Norfolk State works really hard on getting the bands stamina to maintain the same intensity across throughout the whole show.

I had a chance to peruse the thread on DCI Planet.com and there are some pretty interesting comments flying around. It seems as if some people took your comments in a negative light. I’m pretty sure that there are some DCI fans who don’t value what HBCU’s do musically at all. For a while I believed that most DCI fans had a negative view on what HBCU bands do. There are programs that are out there that don’t pay attention to detail or musical quality, but its great to see that individuals outside our craft can recognize the difference. That’s why I was so elated to see your article, hit helped dispel the rumor the DCI doesn’t respect HBCU Showbands.

I’m sure that you are not taking the negative connotations to your article seriously…keep doing what you are doing we appreciate you! Feel free to post my comments as an “appreciative” HBCU Showband staff member.

Thanks!

Steven K Foster>>

QUOTE(cowtown @ Mar 1 2007, 10:52 AM)

Well that’s the rub right there. DCI corps instructs judges what to look for and how to judge shows. Those judges don’t reward old school, just ask Madison from a few years ago.

Corps don't get penalized for being old school or for being entertaining. They get penalized for being dirty. Case in point: 2001 Madison Scouts is one of my favorite shows of all time. They ended up in 11th finals night because it wasn't clean enough. That doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the show.

People like to think there are conspiracies to penalize entertainment (which I think is ludicrous). Are we forgetting that this is a marching activity and execution counts?

EDIT: This past summer Phantom was extremely entertaining... so much so that they got a standing ovation as they were entering the field! They scored very well and had a great placement. Is it old school? Yes and no. But I don't see anything reasonable to imply that having an entertaining show is a disadvantage.

Completely agree.

really, I don't agree at all - in fact, by that logic, the cleanest show would always win, forget drill and show design, seems naive to think so...maybe you don't really know what old scholl shows were like, no offense.

see old school just would not score under todays system, it would not be rewarded no matter how clean. period

you kids, waxing for the tick system, how hard corp, lets gid rid of all those yard lines too

I recall some corp many years ago doing a retro show and not using many different flags, kind like old school – they did not get penalized for not using 20 flags but they also did not get many points for only using a few flags

Judges are looking for certain things and if they are not there, you don’t get the points – it’s part of the build-up judging system

or should we use the new old school

Let’s take amps then, well you are not supposed to get penalized for not using them but you also won’t get as many points if you don’t, so a de facto penalty

old school is not factored into the current judging system hence, its not rewarded either and in a build up world – not rewarded = penalized

From time to time I see posts implying that events such as BOB gets way more exposure and bigger audiences than DCI, and therefore something is wrong with DCI. There is no correlation. Bad music will ALWAYS get more exposure than the finer things in life. It has always been that way, always will. Three Doors Down made millions of dollars even though they couldn't write a good song to save their lives, while fine orchestras around the country are fighting to survive.

I am NOT saying that these marching bands are bad. They are obviously very entertaining and do what they do very well. But a marching band's primary function is to entertain football fans. Drum corps is a deeper performance medium, and therefore does not have the same ability to appeal to absolutely everyone. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If Marvel Comics appeals to more people than the Mona Lisa, does that make Marvel Comics superior? Hardly. BOB is great for watching entertaining bands. Those who want to see risks taken and the cutting edge of the marching activity go to drum corps shows. It's a different market.

Some other things. That would be great financially if every seat in the DCI finals stadium was filled, but is that really in the spirit of the activity? The show is meant to be viewed from a certain angle. I wouldn't pay one red cent to sit backfield or in the end zone. I cannot begin to describe how angry I would be if I payed top dollar for 50 yardline seats and every other show was facing the other side of the stadium.

See above for Exhibit A of the attitude many of us have been referring to.

Also this stood out : "Drum corps is a deeper performance medium, and therefore does not have the same ability to appeal to absolutely everyone."

Since when? :worthy:

• 2 weeks later...

its true... if your into Theater and instrumental music.... DCI is your thing...if your into everyday music and urban culture (like the most people). Showstyle is your thing.

Edited by Reppa

and for future refference... some "Battle of the Bands" are judged (mainly in High Schools). just not the Honda Botbs becuase its College Bands. at The Honda BOB Bands are Voted by the people to perform