Yard Lines for finals in Rochester

Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a non-symmetrical drill of arcs, no it doesn't matter all that much. But if you have a drill of boxes that rotate, shift, merge, and uses most of the corps over most of the field, it does matter. It's called high exposure, and I know in Jr. Corps we did drill that required high accuracy or people and equipment got hurt. It's hard to be within a few inches, much less feet of your spot when there's no reference points. Not to mention having the field so far away from any parallel(or not) structures.

I suppose we could have practiced without lines Saturday, had we known there wouldn't be any lines at the national championships. And otherwise didn't paint them on Friday or Early Saturday with water based paint when it wasn't raining(much) and the paint had time to dry. But as it was we didn't know if the field would be lined to the front sideline or centered on the soccer field until we stepped onto the field to compete. So we couldn't even paint an accurate soccer field to practice against. I didn't even know where the hashes were supposed to be on the field until the day after we competed. Even though a number of my personal set points were supposed to be on the hash.

Not that the show that we put on that day was all that bad. The highest score the corps has gotten to date as an all-age corps. But I can't help wondering if our score wouldn't have been higher in better conditions, much less our placement. In short, not having lines on the field is bad for the performers, bad for the fans, and ultimately bad for DCA. The appearance that so many seem to feel that it's okay that we didn't have lines (and may not again) is disturbing to say the least.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Hotels had noise ordinances? I am on the Rochester committee and will see if that can be fixed. I didn't realize, any Hotels stopped corps from practicing, I believe 11 PM was the ordinance most Hotels told us.

And quite frankly, I think that's a more than acceptable noise ordinance time.

If you have a non-symmetrical drill of arcs, no it doesn't matter all that much. But if you have a drill of boxes that rotate, shift, merge, and uses most of the corps over most of the field, it does matter. It's called high exposure, and I know in Jr. Corps we did drill that required high accuracy or people and equipment got hurt. It's hard to be within a few inches, much less feet of your spot when there's no reference points. Not to mention having the field so far away from any parallel(or not) structures.

Um, excuse me, both you and sabadrum, whoever you are. Almost NO ONE had yard lines, and it wasn't just the Kilties. Reference Spots....its called the person you dress to. Thats a reference spot. Many corps had your "high exposure" moments that were on after you when it was the same conditions. Didn't seem to effect them too much.

Even though a number of my personal set points were supposed to be on the hash.
I think the number one rule from every visual tech I've ever had...junior/senior...is never look at the ground, and the second is dots don't matter.
Not that the show that we put on that day was all that bad. The highest score the corps has gotten to date as an all-age corps. But I can't help wondering if our score wouldn't have been higher in better conditions, much less our placement. In short, not having lines on the field is bad for the performers, bad for the fans, and ultimately bad for DCA. The appearance that so many seem to feel that it's okay that we didn't have lines (and may not again) is disturbing to say the least.
This is where we learn why you really are complaining. If your going to complain about something, do it to someone who can do something about it. Everyone knew this was a soccer field. Logic says that they won't have permenent football yardlines, and that if its raining, there is a chance is can be washed away. It's not so much that we are OK with not having yardlines, but what is ######## about it going to do? Wasn't DCA's fault Ernersto came. Wasn't their fault the lines that the field crew put down several times that night washed away. What your doing is the same thing as someone compaining to me in rehearsal that it's hot every 5 minutes. What do you want US to do about it???? Instead of writing something here where frankly, NO ONE cares, take more time, and write a well constructed email to DCA explaining what the true cause of your complaints are, and to me...it doesn't seem like its the lines your complaining about, but something else. Edited by BushBonez

We didn't have lines at all either. It just goes to show that dressing the form is a great thing. :)

Let's just all hope that the weather is fantastic for next year so it won't be a concern at all :)

Hear hear Lisa - or else we'll never hear the end of it :ph34r:

I, for one, fully endorse the use of yard lines at championship shows. :P

Seriously....I'm with Lisa and Jami on this one. Let's hope it's sunny and 75 degrees for Prelims and Finals this year. :angel:

But then, we'll probably hear complaints from people like, "the sun angle was blinding me and the rest of my corps.... so we couldn't perform a good show. I bet the sun angle wasn't nearly as bad for the top corps." Sheesh.

There was nothing anyone could do about the weather conditions last year, and the resulting washing-away of the yard lines. NOTHING. Ya know, I don't like announcing shows with strong winds blowing cold, misting, stinging rain into my face all day..... but that day, I had no other choice. Anyone there that day.... performers, corps and show staff, spectators.... simply hunkered down and coped as best as we all could. Period.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Um, excuse me, both you and sabadrum, whoever you are. Almost NO ONE had yard lines, and it wasn't just the Kilties. Reference Spots....its called the person you dress to. Thats a reference spot. Many corps had your "high exposure" moments that were on after you when it was the same conditions. Didn't seem to effect them too much.

I think the number one rule from every visual tech I've ever had...junior/senior...is never look at the ground, and the second is dots don't matter.

This is where we learn why you really are complaining. If your going to complain about something, do it to someone who can do something about it. Everyone knew this was a soccer field. Logic says that they won't have permenent football yardlines, and that if its raining, there is a chance is can be washed away. It's not so much that we are OK with not having yardlines, but what is ######## about it going to do? Wasn't DCA's fault Ernersto came. Wasn't their fault the lines that the field crew put down several times that night washed away. What your doing is the same thing as someone compaining to me in rehearsal that it's hot every 5 minutes. What do you want US to do about it???? Instead of writing something here where frankly, NO ONE cares, take more time, and write a well constructed email to DCA explaining what the true cause of your complaints are, and to me...it doesn't seem like its the lines your complaining about, but something else.

Well said, Bushbonez

It rained, the lines got blurred or erased. Sitll better (as someone else has already said) than no lines AND slippery base mud! Bottom line is that senior (oops. All Age) corps can't possibly live to the "inches" performance requirements of Junior corps that practice almost every day. We march to forms, period. Many of us did it without any lines for many years. If its fair for all, its fair. There is no sense re-hashing all the terrible things that happened last year due to the weather. They were beyond control. To Shadow 7 and Sabadrum......if it's really that difficult for you to march "sans lines" and it bothers you that much, perhaps another hobby would work for you.....otherwise why keep whining about it.

Well said, Bushbonez

It rained, the lines got blurred or erased. Sitll better (as someone else has already said) than no lines AND slippery base mud! Bottom line is that senior (oops. All Age) corps can't possibly live to the "inches" performance requirements of Junior corps that practice almost every day. We march to forms, period. Many of us did it without any lines for many years. If its fair for all, its fair. There is no sense re-hashing all the terrible things that happened last year due to the weather. They were beyond control. To Shadow 7 and Sabadrum......if it's really that difficult for you to march "sans lines" and it bothers you that much, perhaps another hobby would work for you.....otherwise why keep whining about it.

And I forgot to add, my real name is

Gord Moffatt

DCHOF Member

Marched in 60's, 70's, 90's, 2000's including the typhoon of 2006. Its all about dedication and adaptation.

Well said, Bushbonez

Your points have been well taken, but they still should have had yard markers at prelims. No excuse for that. I'm sure the members of the corps that did not make finals were too happy when they saw yard markers at finals, since they didn't have them at prelims. It just implies that the better corps deserved it.

Okay - here's a legit question.

Who here that is upset about all of these things that went down over finals weekend in Rochester wrote to Allen Buell?

Or to Fred Windish before he stepped down?