Fan participation in scoring

Stick - i responded to your post in the other thread, didn't want to hijack this one

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea in theory, but it wont work and we all know why. Who is held accountable ?? "the crowd" as a whole is nameless, faceless and would not be un-biased.

Voting for ones favorite would indeed take place over who was better and even if that was not true by only five or ten percent, it wouldnt be accurate, or fair to the competing corps.

Simple as that.

~G~

It's not like the current judging system is exactly fair to lots of corps either. Sometimes it doesn't matter how well you played your show. If you're wearing the wrong uniform, too bad.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how well you played your show. If you're wearing the wrong uniform, too bad.

??? whua?

-------------------

g michael got it.

a separate fan favorite award is a great idea, but to have even a small portion of the corps ACTUAL placing score dictated by 10,000(or however many) completely random people who may or may not know anything about anything is nuts.

this isnt american idol.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how well you played your show. If you're wearing the wrong uniform, too bad.

Sorry man, but dirt is color blind and indiscriminate. Trust me, I was responsible for my fair share from time to time.

It's not like the current judging system is exactly fair to lots of corps either. Sometimes it doesn't matter how well you played your show. If you're wearing the wrong uniform, too bad.

Couldn't agree more. I can't imagine how bad a corps would score if a member accidentally wore the wrong uniform to a show. Would hate to be that guy!

Seriously, though, it's ok. The lack of parody in drum corps may cause many to feel this way, and that's alright.

However, I also believe it is easier to fall into this mentality rather than realize that other corps out there are consistently and genuinely better year in and year out, and admitting this is the first step to getting better as a corps to beat those at the top!

I'm not whining about my last summer. I'm happy with 9th place. I would also say the 8 corps ahead of us were BETTER than us too. Anyway, I'm just saying it's hard to not play favorites or "slot" for that matter. Take percussion for example. 2002 Cavies had a dirty dirty drumline. I've heard it over and over and it's full of ticks. BUT, since the rest of the corps was amazing, they are certainly not going to be a 8th or 9th place drumline. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

This happens in the opposite fashion too. I've seen some pretty amazing drumlines in some not-so amazing corps, but they still are placed low in their caption. Magic 03, Crossmen 04.

Edited by Jofus

I don't know much about percussion so I won't comment on that - HOWEVER, he does have a point. At present, it is not possible for a corps outside of the top 3 to win a caption.

I believe there was at least one instance back in the day where a corps won drums, but didn't even make finals. That is impossible in todays durm corps. I agree that some corps are better than others - but would also agree that some benefit of the doubt is sometimes given. It is hard for me to believe that a single corps is better in every caption than every other corps is at any.