Alfred Reed's Armenian Dances

You know, I actually made some band kids very mad because I said Ticheli wasn't good...at all... but we're straying off topic hahaha

They SHOULD have been mad. :P Ticheli is not nearly as bad as you make him out to be.

Its just hip to diss on Frank.

Sweet...could you tell me which sections/movements were used?

I'll try and find out, it was a year or so before I came on board.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They SHOULD have been mad. :P Ticheli is not nearly as bad as you make him out to be.

Its just hip to diss on Frank.

I'll try and find out, it was a year or so before I came on board.

By hip to diss on Frank, you mean easy right? ^0^ sorry, back to topic. :P

Hey, Ticheli is the BEST composer who EVER wrote for Wind Ensemble !

(that is, if you don't count Karel Husa, Eric Whitacre, Francis Macbeth, Alfred Reed, John Barnes Chance, Aaron Copland, Gustav Holst, Percy Grainger, Paul Hindemith, Ron Nelson, Gordon Jacob, Ralph Vaughn Williams, H. Owen Reed, Vincent Perschetti, William Schumann, Michael Colgrass, Howard Hanson, David Manslanka, Claude T. Smith, Robert Lo Presti, Clifton Williams, Johann de Meji, Michael Daugherty, Philip Spark, Jan Van Der Roost, Jack Stamp, Sir Malcom Arnold, Leonard Bernstein, Donald Hunsberger, Vaclav Nelhybel, Morton Gould, Dana Wilson, Mark Camphouse, Edward Elgar or Arnold Schoenberg and, like, a thousand other people)

MG

Take out Stamp please, easily worse than Ticheli. I like Ticheli's 2nd though.

It was more like an after thought. Now that I think about it, Barnes Chance...

Too bad John Barnes Chance only wrote five pieces for band (Incantation and Dance, Variations on a Korean Folk Song, Elegy, Blue Lake Overture and Symphony No. 2) before he was tragically killed at his ranch by falling into an electric fence.

...Karel Husa, Eric Whitacre, Francis Macbeth, Alfred Reed, John Barnes Chance, Aaron Copland, Gustav Holst, Percy Grainger, Paul Hindemith, Ron Nelson, Gordon Jacob, Ralph Vaughn Williams, H. Owen Reed, Vincent Perschetti, William Schumann, Michael Colgrass, Howard Hanson, David Manslanka, Claude T. Smith, Robert Lo Presti, Clifton Williams, Johann de Meji, Michael Daugherty, Philip Spark, Jan Van Der Roost, Jack Stamp, Sir Malcom Arnold, Leonard Bernstein, Donald Hunsberger, Vaclav Nelhybel, Morton Gould, Dana Wilson, Mark Camphouse, Edward Elgar or Arnold Schoenberg and, like, a thousand other people)

MG

Hopefully, I'll join the list some day. I just started writing for concert band two years ago and just started getting published by TRN Music Publishing, Inc. (the same people that do Holsinger). At least three more works will be in the catalog in a few months. My website just went up last week and will have .pdf files of selected pages soon and recordings of many of the the works by summer. Actually, what I'm getting at is that I really, really hope some drum corps will discover the music and put it on the field. And isn't THAT what's really important when we're talking about composers?

Edited by Michael Boo

Too bad John Barnes Chance only wrote five pieces for band (Incantation and Dance, Variations on a Korean Folk Song, Elegy, Blue Lake Overture and Symphony No. 2) before he was tragically killed at his ranch by falling into an electric fence.

Didn't that happen in Kentucky or Tenn? Something with his dogs? I've played most of those pieces and they are very, very well composed. Who knows what Mr. chance would have accomplished had he not met such a tragic death.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Hopefully, I'll join the list some day. I just started writing for concert band two years ago and just started getting published by TRN Music Publishing, Inc. (the same people that do Holsinger). At least three more works will be in the catalog in a few months. My website just went up last week and will have .pdf files of selected pages soon and recordings of many of the the works by summer. Actually, what I'm getting at is that I really, really hope some drum corps will discover the music and put it on the field. And isn't THAT what's really important when we're talking about composers?

If you bring as much heart to your music as you do to your Drum Corps writing, you'll be very successful indeed. How about a premier at Midwest?

I think the concert band world needs a good dose of JADE. b**bs

Didn't that happen in Kentucky or Tenn? Something with his dogs? I've played most of those pieces and they are very, very well composed. Who knows what Mr. chance would have accomplished had he not met such a tragic death.

Ounce for ounce, he might have been the strongest of all the composers for band. To think what he could have contributed had he lived. He was teaching at the University of Kentucky when he was electrocuted in 1972 at age 39, so I'm guessing that's where he lived. He would have still been writing today and I bet many, many drum corps would have played his music.

If you bring as much heart to your music as you do to your Drum Corps writing, you'll be very successful indeed. How about a premier at Midwest?

Thank you much. I'd LOVE to be premiered at the Midwest Clinic. I've been to every one of them since 1970, when I went with my high school band as spectators. And as a member of the VanderCook College of Music band, I played at a number of the conventions. I even called in sick to high school my junior and senior year so I could go to the Midwest on Friday because I knew I wanted to be a band director.