Is DCA dead?

I will say this:

I'm not quite 25 years old. I've only been aged out of DCI for 3 years. If drum corps included weeknight rehearsals other than Friday, I'm not sure how hard pressed i'd be to stay in the activity because my obligations during the week are absolutely insane between late hours at my job, teaching private lessons at a percussion studio, and rehearsals with the HS where I teach, depending on what season it is.

And I'm not one of those stereotypical older people in this activity.

I struggle to find time now to do laundry and barely see my apartment other than to sleep as it is. I'm hard-pressed to find time to try to fit in another mandatory weeknight rehearsal.

Isn’t this really the rub?

I agree with those who have stated that growth for DCA needs to focus on expanding the non NE regions so that those regions can have more show opportunities that offer an excellent product for customers yet limit the travel needs for the performing corps. Then, as Brent stated, you can do a couple longer trips for regional shows and championships each year. Some have posted that we need more corps in the regions. But, where are the members going to come from? How many people are willing to make the time commitment and sacrifices that Jami mentioned in order to participate? Corps need to work very hard to recruit new members. Can DCA help establish summer job programs for college kids so they can participate in drum corps yet still hold a job to earn money for school? How do we get the message out to older potential members that participation isn’t just for those under 30?

I think to grow, we need to find a way to better market the all-age drum corps opportunity to potential members. Speaking for those on the older end of the all-age spectrum, the time commitment needs to remain reasonable for practice, weekend shows and travel (see related poll started by Brent regarding practice time). The more people we can get into the activity, the more people will continue to be fans when they step out. It seems to me that most of the people in the stands at DCI shows are parents or more importantly people who have participated in the activity. I wonder how much of the growth of DCI is due to the growing base of alumni versus new fans created by the ESPN broadcasts.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do recall that there was talk of turning Nashville into a super regional this year rather than just the DCA-South championship. I'm guessing that idea got bagged but, uhhhhhhh what a concept. Keep that idea close to your heart and make it happen in the coming years you guys!!!! Nashville/Murphreesboro have had some very big and successful shows in that area for years. I would love to be a part of that again someday.

Respectfully, I must say the source of your information is incorrect. No one actively involved with planning Nashville's show talked about making it a super regional. Is it a good idea? Sure. We'd like to see it happen one day, but right now our goal is to put on a good show in year one and grow it from there. The big roadblock to super regional shows are common to all corps: time + money. However, before we can deal with that roadblock, we first need all corps interested in making a super regional happen to talk to each other and coordinate amongst themselves. The growth of regional organizations is a step in the right direction with regard to that problem.

It's great to see more thoughtful discussion about the direction of our activity. Back to lurk mode....

Respectfully, I must say the source of your information is incorrect. No one actively involved with planning Nashville's show talked about making it a super regional. Is it a good idea? Sure. We'd like to see it happen one day, but right now our goal is to put on a good show in year one and grow it from there. The big roadblock to super regional shows are common to all corps: time + money. However, before we can deal with that roadblock, we first need all corps interested in making a super regional happen to talk to each other and coordinate amongst themselves. The growth of regional organizations is a step in the right direction with regard to that problem.

It's great to see more thoughtful discussion about the direction of our activity. Back to lurk mode....

talk = rumors ....(in my statement .. not in yours)..... I wasn't implying that this was something planned on which then fell through. There was a question of interest or possibilities at the DCI meetings for All Age corps (only corps reps in attendance). End of the day .. I think it's a great idea and fairly close for many of the new and upcoming corps in the heartland and central division.

super regionals are the name of the game.

$20 ticket to see 20 corps, or consider $1 per corps.

but $20 x 5,000 people (if maxed we should get 12,000-20,000 people)= $100,000

Let's say it costs $10,000 a day for the facilities (that should be one hell of a facility with the bells and whistles AND they should paint the DCA logo at center field).

$10,000 judges and miscellaneous (that is a high miscellaneous)

$40,000 back to DCA for their full time staff (thanks for all your hard work!).

$40,000 back to the 20 corps = $2,000 each.

Good pay day. see you at the next Super Regional!

Edited by Brent

I have a motto that I try to live up to. It is, "Be positive or be quiet." Supportive, inclusive reasoning works better than the sniping that is all too easy.

And if there was just a LITTLE bit more of that in this thread, and especially from it's author, I wouldn't have posted a god ###### thing.

Other than that, GREAT post Chris.

super regionals are the name of the game.

$20 ticket to see 20 corps, or consider $1 per corps.

but $20 x 5,000 people = $100,000

Let's say it costs $10,000 a day for the facilities (that should be one hell of a facility with the bells and whistles AND they should paint the DCA logo at center field).

$50,000 back to DCA for their full time staff.

$40,000 back to the 20 corps = $2,000 each.

Good pay day. see you at the next Super Regional!

I agree with the concept of regional super-shows, in principle. However, this can only really work in DCI, where show sponsors only have to sign and negotiate one contract for all the corps in the show.

Edited by drumlaw80

I agree with the concept of regional super-shows, in principle. However, this can only really work in DCI, where show sponsors only have to sign and negotiate one contract for all the corps in the show.

DCA should come up with fee structures for the corps and should own 3-4 of its own shows (the super regionals and championships). that way this can work. a similar profit sharing system, but may need to have some slight incentives built in for travel. Again, these "incentives" will not PAY for the whole trip, but the corps and DCA will benefit in the long run. That is why all corps should not travel long distances more than 2-3 times a year and build the LOSS into their budget for the long term viability of the corps and the association.

Fee structures can be complicated, but then they build equity and predictability into show costs for sponsors and drum corps.

Edited by Brent

It is funny to see Brent talking about building loss into a budget for travel. All travel is a loss for us...I believe the Maryland parades a few years ago is the only time in the history of the corps we came back from a trip having profited even a single penny.

Not criticizing anyone, it's just funny to see the different perspectives corps have on travel. We have to fundraise every penny of our travel budget knowing that there will be NO offset worth mentioning from performance fees.

An aggressive marketing strategy headed up by the DCA organization with the backing of the DCA member corps + money. Maybe instead of giving all of the DCA revenue back to the member corps, some of it gets invested in this plan to help create more money by marketing the product.

I dunno. I'm not a marketing genius. :doh:

Says the women who rides a bike and looks hot while doing it, meanwhile a video company is making thousands of dollars because the men of DCA want to watch you riding that bike. Now that is genius.

In all seriousness it really doesn't have to take a brain surgeon to have brilliant marketing strategies. I think you have to be open to new ideas and really stive to acheive greatness as Lee would say. One thing I have noticed, people here in the south really don't like change. They are so comfortable with how things are that when you throw a really great idea out there, you get the automatic NO and they really go out of there way to ignore your suggestions. I get so frustrated at times because I feel as if I am so far ahead of the game. The tools of creativity are out there, people just need to not be afraid to use it.

How about the established venders were unable or unwilling to do the job that needed to be done. Get new venders. If alternative venders don't exist, then look into doing it in house. The performance venue was unwilling to use marking material that wouldn't wash off in the rain. Jolesch stopped taking pictures before class A finished competing. And BVP failed to record 40% of the prelims. And that which did get recorded is of marginal quality. If you can't get new venders because of contracts, then I'll assume that when the contracts expire, these issues will be addressed. If the contracts don't expire, then DCA should expire and something else formed in it's place.

I mean if I pay K number of dollars to take a cruise, and I show up to be taken to place X, Y, and Z on mello yellow school busses, then I'm gonna be just a little peeved. Which is a close analogy to what I experienced last year, since I chose last year to go for the gusto and march a corps over 1,000 miles from home. Something which I cannot afford to do "again" as many have suggested. At least not for a few more years. Not that I have motivation to do so if my efforts will only be seen live by 30 people, and otherwise barely recorded, if at all.

I plan on bringing my Polaroid camera and tape recorder this year to Rochester. Just bought new film packets and tapes. I'll bring some lines too. If the pros can't get it right, I will. Hope this will help DCA from being blamed for the weather again.