University of North Texas

Not a diss on anybody else's school, just curious how many DC alum/members on campus at present. If you're at UNT and marched or are marching this year, give me an estimate of numbers by caption (drums, brass, guard). Corps if you want to or know.

Consider it a Mean Green Guest Book, or some such!

There is an Alum of the Renegades at North Texas. His name is Dave Richards, and I believe he plays in the one o'clock band and coaches the 2 o'clock band.

He played upper lead and had a solo in Bohemian Rhapsody. Here's a pic of Dave on the field (he is on the right)

larriemorgandave.jpg

Edited by randomnoise

Present. Alumni 2003 always joked UNT stood for University of No Talent.

I am an alumnus of UNT (1994-2000) and had marched in Phantom Regiment from 1991-1993 (lead soprano), then taught the soprano section at Regiment in 1995 (while still in school).

While I was at UNT, played in the Wind Symphony, Symphony Orchestra (as pricipal trumpet), One O'clock and Two O'clock, Collegium Musicum (early music ensemble), NOVA (new music ensemble), the faculty brass quintet, one of the student brass quintets, the UNT Brass Choir and the Baroque Trumpet Ensemble.

Good times.

I now teach trumpet at Auburn University.

Also, the current brass caption head for SCV is on faculty at UNT as well...Nick Williams

Edited by trptjock

I'm there now. There's a good deal of drum corps folks around and about UNT, both in and out of the music department.

I marched contrabass in the Hutchinson Sky Ryders in 1984. I went on to play in the US Army Band of New York City. I attended UNT as an undergrad in performance on tuba from 1988 through 1993. Since that time I have played full time with the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra and MSO Brass Quintet. I also teach at a small local school called Millsaps College.

While at UNT I played in pretty much everything that a tubist can play in, including the North Texas Symphony (under Maestro Anshel Brusilow; we toured Spain and Mexico and recorded a number of CDs, and Jeff Prosperie and Paul Rennick were our prin perc and timp players), the UNT Wind Ensemble (under Dr. Robert Winslow, who was Corporon's predecessor), the UNT Green Brigade Marching Band, the UNT Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble (about 40 players), Gail Force Basketball Band, Collegium Musicum (where I was a serpent player), NOVA New Music Ensemble, The North Texas Brass Choir, and several very fine brass quintets.

I freelanced and taught private lessons for most of my bread, even as a freshman. I was older and more experienced than your average freshman because of my time in NYC. So I could do this and was able to claw my way to the top part of a very large and competitive studio. I learned a ton of stuff at that school and owe my career to my wonderful professors because of the guidance and work ethic they instilled in me in that five years.

A lot of DC talent either comes from or goes to that school.

They also had the best band in March Madness. There was a 30 second clip on ESPN and they smoked.

There is an Alum of the Renegades at North Texas. His name is Dave Richards, and I believe he plays in the one o'clock band and coaches the 2 o'clock band.

He played upper lead and had a solo in Bohemian Rhapsody. Here's a pic of Dave on the field (he is on the right)

larriemorgandave.jpg

I saw him play earlier this year, in a free lunchtime concert they gave at the One O'Clock lounge.

Edited by year1buick