Tour Secretes

I think that Jared has a good point. In that regard Drum Corps can be a lot like the military. There are certain times when individualism is frowned upon.

Well, i hate to be the devils advocate, but sometimes i had to be individual. I didnt really care about how cool i sounded or showing off - it was just a matter of variety. I dont know about the rest of you, but playing the same 10minutes of music for 3 months gets pretty boring. I play other stuff to keep my own sanity, and i generally frowned on (aka ignored) people who told me to stop. Granted, there is a time NOT to play whatever you want, but a few times a week i had to do it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont forget to bring two pairs of shoes!

Theft happens. Not necessarily someone associated with your corps, but there are thieves out there. We got wiped out while taking showers in Ohio one year - and that was in the days before I-Pods and cell phones. They took wallets, money - basically everything they could get their hands on. Don't be embarrassed to ask a staff member you trust to hold your extra (or only) ATM card, or, if you can get them, use American Express Traveler's Checks and keep a list of the numbers in your pocket, and a duplicate list at home. These can be quickly replaced the next time you're able to get to a bank.

DON'T wear flip flops outside unless you want to risk having the sole fold under and stubbing your toe badly. They are a must on the bus and around the gym, but wear sneakers or shoes outside. If your corps doesn't have a "never barefoot" rule, they should.

Who ever mentioned choosing your bus partner wisely had a great point. I was always careful choosing my seat partner, and it made life, and a lot of long bus rides, much more pleasant. Look at personality and other hobbies carefully. If you like playing cards or other bus games, find someone that likes those things too. Be careful you don't get someone who's going to spend the entire ride text-messaging or yakking on his/her cell-phone, unless you're going to do likewise, etc. etc. Also, someone of the opposite sex can make the sleeping situation a LOT more pleasant b**bs

Good luck!

Speaking of theft, hide your stuff well if you go to Winston-Salem. I had CD players stolen there on 2 separate occassions. Also, someone tried to light all of our sleeping bags on fire. Fortunately, only one guy's stuff got burned before the fire was put out. I was extremely lucky because I was bunking next to him. The guy got a new wardrobe thanks to good ole Bill Cook.

edit: And if you happen to be staying at Winston-Salem University, be sure to bring some Raid because they've got HUGE roach problems there in addition to the vandals.

Edited by Medeabrass

I think one of the best things someone can do is be consistent in everything they do, whether its on the field or off. Get into a routine for most parts of the day. If you do the same things every day you will be less likely to skip/forget something and you will get faster at it...in turn giving you more free time! ;) We all love free time. And of course be consistent on the field, whether you are right or wrong, so others can depend on what you are doing. You don't want to be doing something different every rep.

Bring an electric shaver to shave with unless you just a bear, hahaha! I usually do it when I'm deflating my mattress, by the time it's done, I'm done shaving.

Shoe inserts are always a nice thing to have, especially ones with good arch support. Can help prevent shin splints...which suck big time.

Windex wipes to clean your horn....work wonders and are super fast. (You should still wash it 2-3x a week though)

Bring laundry detergent in little plastic baggies from home. Will save you some quarters and wasting time in line to buy some.

Keep a few dryer sheets in misc. places in your bags....will keep it smelling nice.

Turn off your phone during blocks, that way you don't have to charge it as often.

If you are on tour (doesn't really apply to everydays) and you are at lunch, take some time to start packing up...will save you about 10 minutes later.

Wear deodorant.

If you have problems with acne on tour (due to stress/dirt etc.) I have found the best face cleanser is a mild exfoliant. But that could just be me.

Applies to guys...keep your hair cut really short unless you absolutely can't live without your hair...it's very easy to maintain.

Buy the all-in-one shampoo/body wash.

You really only need to bring maybe 2-3 pairs of shorts. Just wear them multiple times, I don't see it as a big deal.

Always keep bigger baggies with you...if it rains put your clothes in one or two until you have a chance to let them dry so they don't get everything else wet.

Be very careful what you spend at gas stations/post shows...I spent over $500 bucks my first summer on snacks and little things I really didn't need...

Put your name on your cell phone and I-pod chargers. And everything else that you plug into a wall.

Memorize your dots...much faster than flipping through a dotbook/drill sheets.

For the love of God do not join the field lining crew.

Find secret showers.

Make sure your bus partner is cool, and will share food.

Don't overpack.

Boxers are for suckers.

2 pairs of sunglasses. You'll lose one indefinitely.

Shower sandals will ruin your life. In all the time I marched, the only time my feet ever got infected was when I tried shower sandals.

Don't diss the woodwind players that march a brass instrument in drum corps. Most of the woodwind players I knew were better brass players than most brass players I knew.

Don't walk anywhere on the rehersal field you're not supposed to. Example: through a rifle block, through the snare line, etc.

Don't join a corps where members have to line the field/set up scaffolding, etc. If you do, don't get on linng crew/scaffolding crew. These are responsibilities of the staff. As a member and a staff member, I believe this. I can't believe some corps have kids wake up early to do this stuff. There is one place members belong 1 hour before wake-up. In their sleeping bags.

Don't bring anything on tour you cannot afford to lose. I-pods and cell phones may be great, but you run a high risk of having it borken, get wet, or misteriously walk off somewhere.

When you arrive at a housing site and it's raining, just grab a bag, even if it's not yours. The point is to get everybodies stuff inside and out of the weather. Sort it out where its dry.

Bummer, I'm already lining the practice fields! :(

Don't join a corps where members have to line the field/set up scaffolding, etc. If you do, don't get on linng crew/scaffolding crew. These are responsibilities of the staff. As a member and a staff member, I believe this. I can't believe some corps have kids wake up early to do this stuff. There is one place members belong 1 hour before wake-up. In their sleeping bags.

Wow...i never realized corps with nonmember crews existed... Can I get some more reports on which corps do and dont have member run crews (i always assumed they all did?)

Bummer, I'm already lining the practice fields! :(

Tell them you are allergic to paint...seriously, do it now