The Limit

Does DCI have a certain criteria for corps shows regarding things that can be done?

For example, sexual innuendos, controversial symbols ect...

Can these be used freely at the descretion of the corps or is this monitored by DCI?

I was watching Crossmen 2005, and there are quite a few sexual moments in that show, and Im sure there are many others that get pretty crazy?

I don't think there are rules but corps can be and have been told by the judges to "tone it down" with regard to these type of actions.

Here's one. If the American flag is used in a show for the guard it should not be the real flag. For example, it might only have 49 stars.

Hmmm...at the end of the second movement of Star '92, they held what looked like a real American flag on display. Same with the flag raised at the beginning of Cadets '95. Maybe somebody from those years could clarify?

I think there's rules about the American Flag being on the field. Something about not being behind any other flags on the field... i dono

A "trailing" penalty maybe? Only if the flags are facing in the same direction. That's why they use to park the "American section" down in the corner. Oldtimmers, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

One steadfast rule is that no other flag should ever be higher than the american flag.

Andy, Andy--being a Texas Christian University student, I would have hoped that you would have pointed out to all the kiddies from outside the Great State of Texas that only the Texas flag is allowed to fly at the same height as the US flag. This is due to the State of Texas being formerly a free and independent nation, The Republic of Texas. You know, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, and all those boys down at the Alamo?! Well, being admitted freely under treaty, we enjoy 10 mile coastal waters instead of 3 for the others, and the Lone Star Flag may fly even with the Stars and Stripes!

Little Texas history lesson for all you "other's." Next week, Shiner Bock beer! Brewed at the little brewery in Shiner, TX.

P.S. Flag etiquette is just that--etiquette. There are laws, but do you really expect them to be enforced when it's legal to burn them publicly??

Edited by silvertrombone