Web hosting

Hey there, I know there are some definite techno-fites out there. I'm getting into web design here at school and I've even been approached several times to design web sites for potential clients as well as take over some designing responsibilities for my corps. Now what I'm not getting in class is the what, where, when, and how's of buying a web domain and web hosting package. Some of it is intuitive, but not all of it. I guess my main concern is where to go. One google search gives well over a million results. The two companies I have heard of are GoDaddy.com and Network Solutions. Does anyone have any advice on where a small designer and corps should go to host their website?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, I know there are some definite techno-fites out there. I'm getting into web design here at school and I've even been approached several times to design web sites for potential clients as well as take over some designing responsibilities for my corps. Now what I'm not getting in class is the what, where, when, and how's of buying a web domain and web hosting package. Some of it is intuitive, but not all of it. I guess my main concern is where to go. One google search gives well over a million results. The two companies I have heard of are GoDaddy.com and Network Solutions. Does anyone have any advice on where a small designer and corps should go to host their website?

I don't know if this will help you, but go to www.fhtmus.com/iam On the left side of the page you'll see 'Fortune Products' and then a link to EZ Net Tools. I have sold this to different businesses but honestly I am far from eing website literate. But look through it and hopefully you can derive some useful info from there.

As for domain buying and administering, I really like eNom... good customer support and an intuitive control panel.

As for hosting, maybe look into Media Temple... I've had solid luck with them, and their pricing is by and large competitive.

All and all, for hosting, the main thing is identifying your needs (platform, bandwidth, storage, features) and shopping around. I'm sure there are some companies local to you that would bend backwards for your business and really work hard to accomodate your needs. Maybe refine your search for hosting companies that are in your area.

Not sure if you want to do this as a hobby or a career, but I would advise against the latter. Web designers are a dime a dozen, and companies can hire them at the drop of a hat. Same thing with programming. They're not going to pay you 80K per year to write code when they can out-source it to someone in Russia or China for a bottle of vodka or a bowl of rice. If you're looking for a job in the computer industry go the networking route - that's where the money is. If you want a crash course on web design I would recommend New Horizons Computer Learning Centers. They teach everything from soup to nuts. Hope that helps.

I'm just doing it on the side. As far as corps go, never hurts to have this type of stuff in house, know what I mean? By trade, I'm in graduate school getting my Masters in technical writing and web design relates nicely, but I am not planning on doing just web design.

My new website (www.michaelboo.com) was designed and is hosted by Octavia Consulting, a company I knew about because they're drum corps people and are involved in working with some drum corps sites. You can reach them at info@octaviaconsulting.com. I'm quite happy with the results.

Yahoo actually offered domain names at $4.99 a year for awhile.. that's the cheapest I've ever seen them, and I don't know if they still do. You should check that out though.

Not sure if you want to do this as a hobby or a career, but I would advise against the latter. Web designers are a dime a dozen, and companies can hire them at the drop of a hat. Same thing with programming. They're not going to pay you 80K per year to write code when they can out-source it to someone in Russia or China for a bottle of vodka or a bowl of rice. If you're looking for a job in the computer industry go the networking route - that's where the money is. If you want a crash course on web design I would recommend New Horizons Computer Learning Centers. They teach everything from soup to nuts. Hope that helps.

While it is true that it can be tough to make a living as a web developer, that is really no different than nearly ANY career you can name.

As to hosting, my recommendations would be as follows:

for a hobby site, a vanity site, or a brochure site (no interactivity) any of the big "bargain" hosting companies are fine. Their uptime is great, the site will NEVER be down. However, they can offer NO service to you as a "newbie", and they must therefore choke down ALL of your options and priviledges to the bare minimum. It is nearly impossible to build anything special of unusual on such a server, because you cannot configure it properly to allow anything at all unusual.

If you want to do something other than what I mention above, you'll have to find a host who will work with you, and not against you. This usually costs money, as they have children to feed as well, but it is ordinarily one of your lowest expenses, and it doesn't pay to scrimp in this area. Getting around the limitations imposed on you by $3.00/month hosting will kill you in terms of the time you'll spend getting everything to work.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like the name of the host I use - I called him Christmas Day, 2006 for help with a critical issue, and he took my call and got me the help I needed. Call Go Daddy on Christmas Day (or ANY day) for real help - and find out what you get for $3.00/month.

Not sure if you want to do this as a hobby or a career, but I would advise against the latter. Web designers are a dime a dozen, and companies can hire them at the drop of a hat. Same thing with programming. They're not going to pay you 80K per year to write code when they can out-source it to someone in Russia or China for a bottle of vodka or a bowl of rice.

False. If you really know your stuff, there are companies that will pay you $60-80K for ENTRY LEVEL positions. I'm willing to get in a fight about this.

(sorry, had to defend my trade of choice)