Grabbing an Audience

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I find it tragic that they had to give an explanation of who Joshua Bell is on ABC. American musical tradition is dying all around us, but we're too busy to pay attention.

well while I did know of Joshua Bell before this article, I dont think its a far-fetched idea to think many others dont know who he is. I dont think American musical whatever is dying at all. Maybe its just not as popular as other activities and music genres.....thats fine. Times change and from generation to generation tastes change. If you have a love and passion for something and enjoy listening to it, what does it matter if the majority knows of it or not. There are plenty of kids in the corps I march who dont know of Albert Puljos or Tom Brady....it happens. Consider yourself in a higher intellectual class to be blessed with the sense to appreciate the fine arts that millions in our nation couldnt comprehend, but realize that this is reality and dont consider it something tragic.

I'm going to be honest, I didn't know who Joshua Bell was until this article came out. And I'm certainly not ignorant, so I don't see this as a sufficient reason to be upset.

This article really doesn't say anything. On one hand, I think it's kind of unfortunate that such an amazing talent wasn't given the time of day, but on the other hand I think, "What would I have done in that situation?" I'm pretty sure this was in a busy area, lots of people with agendas, things to do, places to go, I wouldn't really notice or take time to listen to some dude playing violin either. I get annoyed when classical musicians take something like this and cry that the sky is falling. We [musicians] are so delusionally ignorant sometimes.

What about any other situation NOT dealing with 17th century European "art music" (not that Bach of all people ever considered himself an artist, he was just a dude who worked in a church to support his family). What about a painter. What if Van Gogh (sorry I don't know any modern artists, so bear with me here) was sitting in Times Square, incognito, painting a new rendition of "The Starry Night"? How much attention from passerbys do you think he'd get? I'd bet it'd be just as much as Joshua Bell did. All I'm saying that again, this article isn't just a whole lot of nothing. It's kind of sad, yes, but the bottom line of it all is what were you expecting?

completely agreed

well while I did know of Joshua Bell before this article, I dont think its a far-fetched idea to think many others dont know who he is. I dont think American musical whatever is dying at all. Maybe its just not as popular as other activities and music genres.....thats fine. Times change and from generation to generation tastes change. If you have a love and passion for something and enjoy listening to it, what does it matter if the majority knows of it or not. There are plenty of kids in the corps I march who dont know of Albert Puljos or Tom Brady....it happens. Consider yourself in a higher intellectual class to be blessed with the sense to appreciate the fine arts that millions in our nation couldnt comprehend, but realize that this is reality and dont consider it something tragic.

Ditto and well said.

Edited by brassdrumguard