Grabbing an Audience

And we thought it was difficult to get noticed and/or grow the audiences in the stands for drum corps shows! Even Joshua Bell can't get busy people to stop and listen when he plays (with no fanfare) in a subway station in Washington DC. Thanks to Hoppy for posting a link to this on his blog. The article is very long but scan it and you'll be amazed by how blindly we can walk through our everyday lives.

Washington Post Article

I'd say this concept of being too busy to stop and listen (smell the roses) is a large contributing factor to the reduced size of drum corps audiences and performers. Too many options and too much to do results in fewer people with the time for drum corps. Sad but true.

Edited by marshamello

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And we thought it was difficult to get noticed and/or grow the audiences in the stands for drum corps shows! Even Joshua Bell can't get busy people to stop and listen when he plays (with no fanfare) in a subway station in Washington DC. Thanks to Hoppy for posting a link to this on his blog. The article is very long but scan it and you'll be amazed by how blindly we can walk through our everyday lives.

Washington Post Article

I'd say this concept of being too busy to stop and listen (smell the roses) is a large contributing factor to the reduced size of drum corps audiences and performers. Too many options and too much to do results in fewer people with the time for drum corps. Sad but true.

Stop and smell "the roses"......Ah, Carpe Diem! I don't feel drum corps is hurting for audience or performers. I do agree that there are many who go through life totally oblivious to what's going on around them. There are, though, some who are very perceptive, but, they never let on. Regardless, I would never insult a Joshua Bell by turning the other cheek.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I heard the story on ABC's evening news.

I thought it was interesting that many young children really wanted to stop and listen but their parents hurried them on.

Saw that on the news and there are interesting lessons to take from it. The problem is, it doesn't tell us very much. A subway station is not a place for listening. For all anyone knows, the violinist could be working with a pick-pocket, the violinist distracts while the other lifts wallets. Would you stop? If anything, it says that a solo violin isn't enough to make people forget where they are. Would a great salsa band go so un-noticed? Or Paris Hilton doing a photo shoot? It's all about what interests people, and classical violin (no matter how expertly played) isn't real high on the list.

Living in the DC Metro area, I can attest to the fact that the culture here is to be just too darn busy to give a crap about things while commuting. After all, we don't even have a classical station.

Great article

This is unfortunate. It's not an isolated incedent though.

I was watching a clip of Future Corps. They were unbelievable

and the people walking through the park didn't seem

to even notice they were there! <**>

Living in the DC Metro area, I can attest to the fact that the culture here is to be just too darn busy to give a crap about things while commuting. After all, we don't even have a classical station.

Great article

WOW! Our nation's capital doesn't even have a classical radio station. THAT's a tragedy!!