Phantom 2006 music

Listening to drum corps cds today again, and everytime the 2006 Phantom Regiment show comes on, I can't help but think it sounds so much like Blue Knights. If I hadn't seen the show 8 times over the summer, I would swear I was listening to the Blue Knights. Is there anyone on staff there who used to arrange for BK? I never really pay attention to staff names, unless I know someone on staff.

It was quite a step up from the arranging of PR 05, which I thought was not good at all. The show was well performed in 05, given the poor choice of music, and the very bad arrangements. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Phantoms choice of music for 06, and then to have one of the best years for their arrangement. Definitely in my top 3 for Phantom music choices, and arrangements, along with 03 and 89.

Edited by cantgetenoughcorps

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to drum corps cds today again, and everytime the 2006 Phantom Regiment show comes on, I can't help but think it sounds so much like Blue Knights. If I hadn't seen the show 8 times over the summer, I would swear I was listening to the Blue Knights. Is there anyone on staff there who used to arrange for BK? I never really pay attention to staff names, unless I know someone on staff.

It was quite a step up from the arranging of PR 05, which I thought was not good at all. The show was well performed in 05, given the poor choice of music, and the very bad arrangements. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Phantoms choice of music for 06, and then to have one of the best years for their arrangement. Definitely in my top 3 for Phantom music choices, and arrangements, along with 03 and 89.

Same arranger. Regiment has actually only ever had 3 arrangers. JD Shaw has been there from 2002 to present.

Same arranger. Regiment has actually only ever had 3 arrangers. JD Shaw has been there from 2002 to present.

Interesting... I really would have thought 2 different people arranged for 05 and 06. One of the worst arrangements(05) I have ever heard, and one of the best arrangements(06) I have ever heard. Most arrangers I either really seem to love their arrangements or really dislike their arrangements. Shaw seems to be all over the board in that area, if he is the one who has arranged the last 5 shows for Phantom

02 Didn't care much for

03 Really liked the arrangements

04 Middle of the road

05 Hated arrangements

06 Absolutely love the arrangements

Is Shaw fairly new as an arranger? And did he ever work with Blue Knights?

You think the music from 2005 was BAD?

I don't think the music of Gershwin is bad. I like the music of Gershwin. However, I think it is better when performed by piano and orchestra. I don't think his music translates very well to the field, with maybe the exception being music from Porgy and Bess.

The biggest problem I had with Phantom's version, was the chopped up, forced runs throughout the show. I know they were trying to add difficulty to very simple pieces, but one of the things that is great about Gershwin, is it is simple music. And where sometimes a corps can get away with a few extra runs for difficulty, the ones in the 05 production just didn't fit the music.

Obviously, my opinion differed quite a bit from the judges, and from tons of fans.

That is the reason I loved the 06 production. The arrangements really fit the context of the music. It just doesn't seem like the same person would have arranged both years.

You think the music from 2005 was BAD?

I was no fan of 2005, either. Too repetitive, the same basic Gershwin lick repeated over and over.