What if it were reversed?

This may have been done before but I don't remember seeing it.

What if the current system of judging was used back when the 'tic' system was used? IOW would Madison still have won in '75? I think they would have taken the title in '74. Or would Phantom have a few under their belt by now? This is not meant to be a 'which system is better discussion'; just interested in seeing what your thoughts are!

The Argonne Rebels' great hornlines.... particularly 1971-73.... scored very well under the "tick" system, but I think they would have fared equally as well, if not better, under a subjective system. (Not that the "tick" system wasn't subjective in its own way.... but that's a story for another day... LOL)

They had such a wide-open, full, confident, well-trained sound.... bigger and fuller than many of their competitors.... and they played some tough charts.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

The Argonne Rebels' great hornlines.... particularly 1971-73.... scored very well under the "tick" system, but I think they would have fared equally as well, if not better, under a subjective system. (Not that the "tick" system wasn't subjective in its own way.... but that's a story for another day... LOL)

They had such a wide-open, full, confident, well-trained sound.... bigger and fuller than many of their competitors.... and they played some tough charts.

Fran

I'll play devil's advocate, Fran. Argonne's hornline was indeed wonderful and I was honored to have worked with Brian Pennington in Belleville. Their drum line, however, was a perpetual train wreck that unfortunately, but rightly, kept the corps in the 2nd tier. I wonder if their drum problems would have been overlooked in today's environment? I suspect they would.

I'll play devil's advocate, Fran. Argonne's hornline was indeed wonderful and I was honored to have worked with Brian Pennington in Belleville. Their drum line, however, was a perpetual train wreck that unfortunately, but rightly, kept the corps in the 2nd tier. I wonder if their drum problems would have been overlooked in today's environment? I suspect they would.

Good point. You listen to some of those old recordings of Argonne and it's like listening to two different corps in one...... the hornline, and the drumline. Definite difference in quality and performance levels.

Looking back, I wonder if that ongoing disparity beween the corps' brass and percussion programs ever caused any tension within the ranks of the corps?

Fran

Good point. You listen to some of those old recordings of Argonne and it's like listening to two different corps in one...... the hornline, and the drumline. Definite difference in quality and performance levels.

Looking back, I wonder if that ongoing disparity beween the corps' brass and percussion programs ever caused any tension within the ranks of the corps?

Fran

Fran,

Is it true that since the elimination of the tick system of judging, the winners of DCI Prelims have always won (or tied) for DCI Finals? If so, isn't that an interesting statistic? :)

Not really a fair question though, is it?

You'd get more accuracy for one thing, but less dynamics for another...

What WOULD be nice is to find a way to use the current system, but to encourage the cleanliness of the show (especially guard) as well.

• Like 1

I don't think SCV would have won in '81 because of that major tear at the end since ALL captions would have been judging after the 11 minute gun went off.

I thought SCV's major tear came in 1982 during the surprise Bottle Dance, not 1981.

Fran,

Is it true that since the elimination of the tick system of judging, the winners of DCI Prelims have always won (or tied) for DCI Finals? If so, isn't that an interesting statistic? :)

Jim, that was also true of DCA for about the first 25-30 years. I recall the '78 Sunrisers coming totally unglued in prelims and then taking us all to another world in finals. Both won.