Contra/Tuba soli's....

1986 Star of Indiana. Echo of sop solo in Close Encounters. Pretty cool, I must admit.

"Big bucks. We've got two trucks" B)

Wouldn't consider it a solo, but the contra line in BD's opener in 1984 was done very well.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glassmen this past season had one for their ballad. You can't hear it very well on my recording but it was pretty loud in person.
Glassmen have also had contra solos every year since 04 (although in 04 it's only one note).

04 - End of the opener "the One" note

05 - Again near the end of the opener... two bars of the opener melody

06 - Moonlight

Edited by boilerman_05

Yeah, but didn't "Moose" get a pie in the face for his efforts?

Yes, the North Star's Contra Soloist ( '79 ?) in the North Star's Stevie Wonder tribute to Duke Ellington, ie " Sir Duke " may also be the only Contra Soloist in DCI to also play from the Keister position as well...... and by design......( haha !)

As an aside....North Star's " Sir Duke ".... one of the most underrated closer songs in DCI history in my opinion. Fluff ? Sure. But it was a toe- tapping, hands-clapping- to- the- beat , fun closer I thought.

Edited by X DM

Then, you might never know this, but Garfield Cadets 86...in the closer, there's a sop duet, except...it's not 2 sops! One's a contra with a soprano mouthpiece, and the dude just SCREAMS!!!!!!

Blue Rock Jr Corps early 1970s did Baby Elephant Walk that started with a contra doing an elephant call the same way. Haven't heard a recording yet but told it will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. :doh:

And the guy who did it, Chuck Quackenbush(sp?) is still around as he was at Harrisburg last weekend for the Serenade in Brass standstill show.

And Sunrisers (yeah I know Sr corps) had a contra do a closing run on Ol Man River in mid 70s. Think it's on a mid-season recording and has a rrrrrriiipp tone that only low brass can get across. :doh: <again>

Edited by JimF-3rdBari