Has drum corps lost that magic?

another bit of "magic" that is gone was the diverse number of corps there used to be and all the distinctively different styles. It was kind of cool when you could have three shows in one weekend in a reasonable to get to distanced area, and see a couple different corps at each show.

If you went to a show here in the midwest, for example, you might see The Kilts, Guardsmen, Madison, Cavaliers, Blue Stars, Vaquero's, Nisei Ambassadors, Phantom Regiment and The Colts in one spectacular show. Now that would have been an incredibly diverse drum corps show with many different approaches to music presentation, arranging and style of playing, which was indeed magical.

BUT, I STILL have to say (as I did in my post in this thread some pages ago) that it's just a different activity these days, certainly not WORSE. Still "magical" in my opinion. I still get excited pulling into a show and seeing everyone.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think DCI has lost it's magic. It has just changed. The shows seem much more demanding to me now, than back when I marched. (thats not sayin it wasnt easy) but i think over the years the bar is getting set higher and higher. because of a faster/more competitive show, this probably causes more errors, and weaknesses to show.

Agree here and with GGarett on the changes to corps over my decades of following. And feel the changes are part of the magic being lost to some people. Back in the day part of the excitment and fun was following corps with their different styles. You kind of knew what style the corps would do but wondered how and what they would present. If you didn't like 'Corps A' style usually the next corps would be more to your liking. And before someone squawks, it is harder to tell the difference in the styles today.

Today the different styles aren't as different as the past and unless you follow very closely over the years the styles do seem to blend together. Does seem that tighter execution and more complicated shows have pushed uniqueness to the background.

Sooooo, apples = different styles and oranges = execution/complicated (or is it the other way 'round :P ). Question is do you like one and not the other, like one more than the other, or both equally........

Edited by JimF-3rdBari