Cell Phones on Tour

believe it or not, tour is a part of life. It is not, nor should be regarded as, the ONLY thing going on in someone's life at any given time.

During work or a career, people can get sidetracked. Their bosses as well as themselves learn to deal with it. Same goes for staff and members.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, if my girlfriend was going to break up with me because of tour, I would want to know on tour and not 3 months later to come home and find out that she's dumped me and been going out with another guy for 2 months already (my girlfriend would never really do that lol but just to prove a point).

its funny you say that...because that actually happened to me in 2006.... <_<

The only people who should have any reason to complain about The Cavaliers cell phone policy are the members . . . and they don't.

So why care?

It blows my mind that people get on the internet and discuss the merits of something that doesn't concern them or have any real impact in their lives whatsoever.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

Different corps do things differently. Doesn't necessarily make one corps right and another corps wrong, they just have different philosophies about different things.

Is it right for the Cavaliers to not allow cell phones? Sure, it seems to be working fine for them.

Is it right for the Cadets or BD to allow cell phones? Sure, it seems to work fine for them too.

I'd be willing to bet a somewhat significant number of people wouldnt be allowed to march from their parents not being able to be in contact with them.

I'd be willing to bet a somewhat significant number of people wouldnt be allowed to march from their parents not being able to be in contact with them.

Not having a cell phone and not being in contact with your parents are two very different things.

Really. Whatever you think not having a cell phone on tour is like, it's very different.

Maybe if this significant number of people has crazy overbearing parents. Times are crazy now, people feel that need to have immediate contact with EVERYTHING. People just everything, and they want everything now. Really folks, being without a cellphone for a few months really ain't that bad. Every corps in the early 90s (hell probably late 90s too) and back seemed to do just fine without cellphones... If anything, I wish my corps had a "ban" on cellphones.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I pondered on this question a lot. A LOT.

I can see it potentially being a distraction..if not used properly. There should be times when usage is not permitted..rehearsals and performance situations (a given); sleep times and on-bus travel (to allow for rest).

HOWEVER...this is a different place and time; and an extremely dangerous world. And it is getting almost impossible to find a pay phone that works or will not rape you. (I know...I worked in transportation for several years; and it is not like it used to be..) If a member cannot follow rules; they should not be there. But if the administration tries to lay down ridiculous 'control' parameters, then THEY need to be looked at. And I know this particular activity well enough to realize that there are too many control freaks within the staffs of these groups.

DC summers can be stressful enough..anything that can relieve stress should be welcome. And any attempts by a staff to isolate its members outside of the needed rehearsal solitude should be suspect. Sorry if you do not agree; but I am wary of the controlling. Do not give me this 'It is the members' choice to be with the corps'...it should NEVER be within the corps scope to take away communication rights from its members as a condition of participation.

DC members are close to or at adult age. Treat them like that...in all ways.

Within certain common-sense parameters I see no problem with cell phones. As long as the member knows it is at their own risk.

Edited by prodigal bari

Again, we didn't have cell phones when I marched. They weren't invented yet. My parents had an emergency contact number for the corps who always knew how to contact tour management if needed.

The only way parents would not be able to contact a corps is if the corps is touring on the dark side of the moon.