Cell Phones on Tour

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hungus, your post is objectionable in tone. I will let the mods deal with that issue.

And, for the record, I have marched...and drum corps is not reality. And at times that is nice...but the world has changed. And NO ONE has the right to deny a person contact with family. And frankly, if the staff is allowed cells, why disallow other ADULTS (much less the close-to adults) the ability to contact as well?

A member spends enough time in rehearsal, performance, and travel. Anything that helps in dealing with THAT stress should be appreciated. And again, any administration that would deny a member that abillity (within bounds, as always) should be suspect. I do not care if it is a World Champion or a cadet parade corps.

I really find it funny that so many people are debating this and it's the people who have actually gone through seem to have absolutely no problem with it...

Just the same, I don't think it's right for a corps to ban cell phones. Kids or the parents of the kids pay for their cell service and the kids have a right to use that service...ESPECIALLY when away from home. And parents have a right to a way to at least ATTEMPT to contact their kid any time they want...after all...it's their kid...not the corps'. ...

Can someone enlighten me as to the military's take on cell phones?

:huh: :spit: :rock: :sos: :sshh: :rock::doh:

Laugh all you want...did you watch the news recently when they covered a story about a certain University on the east coast? if so, I RES T MY CASE!

Oh I know...you will say..."things like that have been happening for years"? Wake up! It's different now...and more frequent!

Edited by passionatedc

No, I use the terms "cultish, maniacal, dangerous and unhealthy" to describe a corps who according to the post I read...ADMITS that they want their kid's contact with their families to be cut off and a second priority to their comradarie with their corps members.

Get real! We are not talking about a kid "having a cell phone glued to their head every minute". We are talking about a kid's RIGHT to be able to use a cell phone on their own free time...away from normal corps responsibilities. Don't make this into something it's not. What kid has a cell phone "glued to their head every minute on tour"? NONE! So you have no leg to stand on.

Again, this is not happening. A kid is focused on rehearsal when at rehearsal and focused on performances when at a performance with no "cell phone distractions". It's none of the corps #### business and NO DISTRACTION at all when a kid uses it while eating their #### dinner. Again, get real!

None of that has anything to do with whether a kid uses a cell phone on their dinner break or not. So again, get real and come up with a more substantial arguement!

My mention of the Cavaliers success, and their philosiphies ties into this debate quite well, though it appears you are too thick-headed to realize it.

It goes beyond distractions, and the timeliness of phone calls.

Can someone enlighten me as to the military's take on cell phones?

First of all, drum corps is not the military and is a YOUTH ACTIVITY. A kid in the military is over the age of 18. That alone makes it a HUGE difference. How many kids do we have UNDER the age of 18 in today's activity. ALOT! At the very least, the parents of THOSE kids have a right to a certain amount of control over how they are able to communicate with their kids.

Laugh all you want...did you watch the news recently when they covered a story about a certain University on the east coast? if so, I RES T MY CASE!

Oh I know...you will say..."things like that have been happening for years"? Wake up! It's different now...and more frequent!

i refuse to enter in to this argument. thankyou. this thread is about cellphones.

Edited by karl E. Hungus

It's funny how everyone is so worried that members can't call home 2-3 times a week. I marched for 7 years and I believe I made one phone call during that time to my brother to tell him the scores from a show where we had just done great.

Other than that my parents wouldn't hear from me except at the canton show when they came to watch or when I got home from tour.