DCE Judges Say Goodbye To Cassette Tapes

Check out this link:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/content/view/1907/30/

Would it be a good thing?

Check out this link:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/content/view/1907/30/

Would it be a good thing?

Some marching band circuits are starting to use digital voice recorders as well. The quality in sound is better. I am not sure if they provide these voice recorders for the judges, or if the judges buy their own. Better to have all your judges on one CD, rather than a bunch of tapes--easier to go back and reference...and you can just put the different captions on an ipod or other device that your staff members bring on tour... so it works out! I like!

Some marching band circuits are starting to use digital voice recorders as well. The quality in sound is better. I am not sure if they provide these voice recorders for the judges, or if the judges buy their own. Better to have all your judges on one CD, rather than a bunch of tapes--easier to go back and reference...and you can just put the different captions on an ipod or other device that your staff members bring on tour... so it works out! I like!

But then my boyfriend couldn't play judges tapes on the 1985 Teddy Ruxpin I got him for this summer's tour.

:(

I guess my questions would be:

Did you actually buy a teddy ruxpin,

Does his mouth move to judge comments or were the tapes specially encoded,

will Ryan actually take it with him.

The no tape thing sounds good though as long as there is an easy reliable way to convey the "tapes" to the staff members. If they get one cd with everyone on it I think they'd prefer tapes.

In Europe, their touring schedule doesn't often put them in a different show 500km away the next night. The touring schedule belays the time for processing from VR to cd. I guess you could email them, but that assumes that everyone can get email, etc.

I could see someone processing all the comments to SD memory if the voice recorders were standardized... but that's still likely more expensive and time consuming as "here are your tapes".

All the judge runner has to do is run the digital recorder - disc that the field judges have, to the box. The person who is doing the encoding, can put all the judgements comments onto one CD--the staff of that corps can then use iTunes or whatever software they prefer, for the staff to get their own comments (per caption). It definitely saves money in the long run, less tapes per corps to one CD per corps, you can do the math.

Each corps could have their CD within minutes after their performance (at least after the next performing corps). So the timing of this method does not suffer either.

Plus the staff can put these encoded judge files on a laptop, and someone on staff usually brings one (I would think in every corps) and many people bring iPods on tour, so this is not an issue--you can link the iPod or laptop to wherever the CD is being hosted. This can all be done on the staff bus right after your performance, in enough time before the critique or the next rehearsal.

WGI is starting to test this very idea right?

Would it be more expensive though? Think if DCI bought all the corps a $70 digital recorder. Times let's say 50 corps (just a nice round number) Let's say that the average corps does 25 shows. At eight tapes per corps per show, that is approximately 10,000 cassette tapes!! It would be an almost one time expense of approximately $3500. Probably cheaper in the long run than buying about 10,000 cassette tapes a year.