Div II/III Championships Location

Anyone else really disappointed with this?

http://dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=21ff2...73-aaad25516439

"All championship events for Divisions II & III will take place at Pasadena City College’s Robinson Stadium which is only five miles away from Rose Bowl Stadium, site of all Division I Championship events."

I mean, I guess I was naive to think Div II/III would have any sort of chance at the Rose Bowl, but I'm totally unimpressed by this location. 5400 seats?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having not seen the PCC stadium, but having seen the Rose Bowl stadium...II/III is better off. The Rose Bowl is a terrible stadium for drum corps, the seats are angeled back way too far to get any good perspective and it feels like you're a mile away from the field.

I've also discussed this (II/III annually not being in the "big" stadium) with other folks who point out that in such a big stadium, a good amount of sound can be lost where as a smaller stadium gives you a more intimate viewing of the shows.

just my $.02

smaller stadium , less folks look like more =hype , more intimate setting , like above stated its louder. lookat it this way , its not us not being allowed to step on the d1's field , but lets just look at it as us getting our own field . Yeah we know were arent OMGLOLZ1!!1 top 12 division one be we are no less of corps than any of them

What might be interesting to note about this stadium...since I used to perform at PCC....

The pic in the link giving is looking to the north, so that's an "east/west" setting for the field. The "Robinson Stadium" actually replaces where I used to perform when I was in high school and then a student at PCC, and that was the old Horrell Field. Horrell was a "north/south" stadium, with the pressbox side on the west side. It was VERY tall, had a long pressbox, and it was pretty nice. But it was old. And I think they replaced it because of seismic concerns and the school had a bunch of retro work done on it and huge new library and parking structures...apparently they had some money.

So anyway--yes, Robinson is sort of short, but it is a VERY nice stadium, and the campus itself is pretty cool and you'll have tons of places to warm up and get ready to perform. And then...

If you're lucky, maybe some of your corps will be allowed to go into the parking structures and have a year end blow out...very REVERBY...if you get my drift.

What might be interesting to note about this stadium...since I used to perform at PCC....

The pic in the link giving is looking to the north, so that's an "east/west" setting for the field. The "Robinson Stadium" actually replaces where I used to perform when I was in high school and then a student at PCC, and that was the old Horrell Field. Horrell was a "north/south" stadium, with the pressbox side on the west side. It was VERY tall, had a long pressbox, and it was pretty nice. But it was old. And I think they replaced it because of seismic concerns and the school had a bunch of retro work done on it and huge new library and parking structures...apparently they had some money.

So anyway--yes, Robinson is sort of short, but it is a VERY nice stadium, and the campus itself is pretty cool and you'll have tons of places to warm up and get ready to perform. And then...

If you're lucky, maybe some of your corps will be allowed to go into the parking structures and have a year end blow out...very REVERBY...if you get my drift.

Ryan,

Maybe you can shed some more light on what qualities DCI was looking for in a finals site location. If they're going the "smallish college stadium" route, I can think of a few places that might make better choices. Closest example would be Citrus College in Glendora:

GlendoraCACitrusStadium.jpg

Seats 10,000, artificial turf, parking out the wazoo. It may be a little bit of a drive from Pasadena (about 15 miles east), but I would say that this would have been a better choice.

I have a feeling (just opinion--but I'll pretend I'm the King of DCI) that when DCI "sealed the deal" and decided on the Rose Bowl, there was probably a LOT that went behind that decision. PART of that decision I'm sure has to do with tourism and attracting the fan base to the area to--well, let's just be honest--spend money on something more than JUST drum corps. I think that in the decision-making process, I would venture to guess that there would have been a little bit of a "HANH???" on the part of the Pasadena officials if DCI said they wanted to have part of the championships in Azusa (which is just like you said, about 15-20 mins due east of Pasadena). Not the end of the world to have maybe thought about that and made that happen, BUT, I'm betting that since PCC is the ONLY other stadium in town that could handle Div II/III, then any other consideration was pointless.

I agree--within about a 30 mile radius, Div II/III COULD have been at what I would consider in some ways to be "better" stadiums, BUT...I am honest, PCC's stadium IS nice, and height probably won't matter in the long run. The campus is very nice, and I'm sure the officials for Pasadena's whatever commission that made this happen along with DCI folks are probably just as happy to say something along the lines of "Pasadena--Where Drum Corps Happens" versus "Pasadena--Where Drum Corps Happens...and Azusa, too...on the other days".

See what I mean?

got a feeling Citrus College would not have been an issue had DCI tried to go with it. Notice after 2003, Pacific Crest's home show has been moved to Mt. SAC (also a great stadium except for that huge incline pits have to push their equipment down after their shows!) PC also used to hold some camps at Citrus as well as offering college credit through Citrus...don't know why but I heard Citrus just kinda ended the relationship.

Performed at PCC once. If I remember, despite it being shorrt, the stands are raised fairly high above the field itself... so you ahve a big wall in front of you when performing. Not too big of a deal though being that the field has a distance between itself and the stands with the track there.

Not a bad facility at all