Baris and Euphs

PhunkieBehaveYer

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps speaking, both have 3 valves (concert euphs can have between 3-5). Euphs are heavier, have a wider bore and wider bell flare, and also have a longer bell. Euphs generally produce a darker, "chocolatier" sound ($2 to Mike Cesario).

If you march a euph, you'll be part of the "freaky fraternity" of people that have done so before (that's the way my brass caption described euph players last season. Think the "unofficial" frat name is BHH)

umm.. I played a concert Euphonium. It had 3 valves. Valves at least not to my knowledge effect the name. Its still bore size like in Drumcorps.. Larger bore is Euphonium, smaller bore is baritone. I used to this concert difference was if the bell was front or up like a tuba, thats just style, as far as i know, both worlds are based on Bore Size. But thats just what i know, but i don't claim that what i know is fact. :P But I am fairly sure on this.

I dont think the field horns should be called euphoniums... (someone back me up here, I'm not a euph. player)

but the difference concert speaking is that euph has 4 valves, bari has 3.

Nope. This is a common misconception. A real baritone is found really only in British brass bands nowadays. An easy way to tell if it's a baritone or a euphonium: take out the tuning slide and try to reverse it. If you can reverse it, it's a baritone. If not, it's a euph. If you can, it's a baritone, because baritones have cylindrical bores versus the conical bore of the euphonium. Most people think of the upright euphoniums with front-action valves and a recording bell as "baritones," but they're just euphs like the rest. Technically, both marching versions are euphoniums; they just use the term to distinguish between sizes.

The real difference between a euph and a baritone (concert horns) is that the tubing on the euph is conical while the tubing on the baritone is cylindrical.

Basically, a baritone's tubing stays the same size from when you put the mouthpiece in until the bell flares out. This gives it more of a 'trombone' sound.

A euph's tubing gets larger right from the lead pipe to the bell. This gives it a more mello sound.

Either can have 3 - 6 valves (some older double-bell euphs and baris have 3 for each bell. These are VERY interesting instruments. I want one. Dad, a little help here?!)

Now the difference between a marching baritone and euph is that the bari is like holding a big trumpet out in front of you while a euph is like holding a full Contra Grande out in front of you. J/K...I believe the same goes for marching as well as concert.

Hope this helps...

Go ALL Euph players!!!!!!

(some older double-bell euphs and baris have 3 for each bell.  These are VERY interesting instruments.  I want one.  Dad, a little help here?!)

Sure! I'll match you dollar for dollar. Get a job.... :P

Guest Nuts4Corps

I was going to give an explanation, but Bluestarcontra pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Pretty much everything you find in the US these days is a euphonium, though we like to call them baritones.

As for shank sizes, not all marching "baritones" are tenor trombone shank..the yamahas have always had the bass trombone shank.

NUTS